Super Orange Discosoma hanging on by a thread

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my recent aquisition is not doing well. It is very stressed from getting beat up by fish and me moving it around a lot trying to find it a place where it's not getting blasted by flow. Now it seems like it is detaching from the plug on only hanging on by a thread. It finally looks open, but because it's just flipped over and barely clinging to the rock it's not getting any food or light. Afraid to mess with it more as I think it's my constant messing with it that's stressing it out. Saw it starting to detach before so tried to superglue it back down and it's like it just ran away from that.

What should I do? Leave it be and let it sort itself out? Attempt to super glue it down again?

I don't have a separate quarantine tank to move it too yet.

Thoughts?
PXL_20220808_003211084.jpg

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap! I just watched it right itself right in front of me as I was observing it!

As soon as the whites went off and the blues came on it like pushed itself back up right. That was wild to see.

Hope it chooses to stay in one place now. Maybe the lights are too bright on it... Hmmm

PXL_20220808_013017244.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it did end up bailing on the frag.

Just been kind of rolling around on the sand in a stagnant part of my tank.

Is there any way to save this coral? It's clearly still alive, just not attached to anything.

Could I just scoop it out and try to super glue it back on another frag?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small plastic container and put some rock rubble covering the bottom and set it in the sand. It might take about a week, but, if it’s healthy, it will attach on its own. Then you can remove it and glue it where you want it. Good luck.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small plastic container and put some rock rubble covering the bottom and set it in the sand. It might take about a week, but, if it’s healthy, it will attach on its own. Then you can remove it and glue it where you want it. Good luck.
Great idea! Than you!

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I use little condiment cups, and punch a bunch of holes in them with a hole punch. Then cut out the center of the lid. Works great.
Do you use a lid with holes in it or open top?

It's hilarious because I have a ton of these condiment cups for my other hobby of arachnid keeping for baby spiders which we call slings.

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18873A0A-E536-478B-B944-A6DF39D815BC.jpeg

I have two running right now. Hole punches in the base, and I cut the center out off the top with scissors. Not really sure how important that lip is... probably could just skip the top entirely.

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think of it, if I had more rock rubble I wish I could do this with all my mushrooms. I hate the look of glued frag plugs.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18873A0A-E536-478B-B944-A6DF39D815BC.jpeg

I have two running right now. Hole punches in the base, and I cut the center out off the top with scissors. Not really sure how important that lip is... probably could just skip the top entirely.
Interesting. Your Florida also jumping ship? So far my problems have only been with the Discosoma. Which is unfortunate because they are my favorite.

They label Mushrooms as an easy starter coral, but I have found with the 3 Discosoma I have bought that if the water flow is even moderate they jump ship.

My Candy and Duncan is thriving in my new tank as my starter hard corals. In fact of my 16 corals I bought the Discosomas are the ONLY ones giving me problems.

Just can't seem to tolerate any water flow.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think of it, if I had more rock rubble I wish I could do this with all my mushrooms. I hate the look of glued frag plugs.
Also what is your "rock rubble"?

I have a box of small live rock. But not sure if the Shrooms will stick to it. Smallest chunks in it are like marble sized.

Attachments

• PXL_20220812_174335906.jpg
    PXL_20220812_174335906.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 20

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used small pieces of rock from my aquarium I tore down about ten years ago. Picture the size that wouldn’t be to big or to small to glue down. Perhaps 1/2 the width of your ricordea.

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Your Florida also jumping ship? So far my problems have only been with the Discosoma. Which is unfortunate because they are my favorite.
Not so much jumping, but when they arrived from shipping were only barely attached to their plugs.

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW that closest Ricordea in that cup has been in there for 2 weeks and still hasn't grabbed the frag plug. I just inspected and it looks like it's foot is holding onto some sand or something hard. I'll give it another week, then may try something else... otherwise it's really plump and happy.

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can I ask how this went. Discovered the same problem today with my mushroom.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually disappeared a few days later. Hate to say it, but pretty sure one of my many CuC took it and I won't be seeing it again. That or the current got to it in that container somehow and it is stuck in the rocks or filtration system somewhere. Either way haven't seen it in weeks unfortunately.

I did learn a valuable lession though and actually relocated ALL of my Discosomas to lowest flow, low light areas of the tank and they are growing and spreading like crazy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back