Super tiny brittle star???

Hillerd86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always saw a leg but I finally got a full pick during feeding time. As the post title states, is this just some sort of super small brittle starfish. You can even see the scale against one of my zoas.

IMG_20200527_205401.jpg IMG_20200527_205359.jpg MVIMG_20200527_205345.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are always welcomed in my tanks. Good find !

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll get bigger, but not much. It's kinda cool to see their legs poking out of the rock work at feeding time.

SCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have any predators...June, July, Aug, Sep.....you should have a whole lot more by now. Lol

My tank is LOADED with them and it all started with one cute little hitchhiker! Sometimes they irritate one of my zoa twizzler colonies - it's still not over them being all up in their biz but the colony itself is fine. Considering it was growing out of control, they're kinda doing me a favor keeping them in check.

Does anyone have exp with them being bad for the amphipod population?

It's likely my mandarin & wrasse have moved on from their many copepods. I ordered a ton of amphipods to reastablish what I once had - even during the day you'd see them out & about. It's more likely the wrasse & mandarin went to town and cleaned them all out (I rarely see them in the fuge anymore either) but if these starfish are going to make it impossible for them to repopulate in the rocks... then what to do?
20200915_215326.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally have an uncountable amount of them and brissel worms since this first post haha. If I feed my corals some reef roids they all come out and it's like the walking dead
If the bristle worms get out of hand, there are several wrasses that will eat them. My melanaurus wrasse keeps the display clear (I've never seen one in the DT). I'm sure they're there, just never see them. The sump is a different story.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally have an uncountable amount of them and brissel worms since this first post haha. If I feed my corals some reef roids they all come out and it's like the walking dead
This made me LOL. "It's like the walking dead." Too funny. I can picture this quite easily!!

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice as long as he doesn't hurt anything that's all I was looking for. Does it get any bigger or is that about it?
Nope, typically stay small, or die before they get large, either way you won't have a 6" star in your tank from one of these guys

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll record it next time I feed. It is very creepy haha.
Yes, please record it. It sounds hilarious and will make a good video for when Halloween rolls around! The Walking Dead Brittle Star movie. LOL.

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got what seems to be 100's of them in my tank. I feel bad when they get stuck in the Clarisea, but there are sooo many....

SCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll record it next time I feed. It is very creepy haha.
Also very creepy - when you go to spy on the night critters (with a super dim mini flashlight) and you see three or four of the things just launch of the rocks and float by in the water column....sooo crazy how/why they do that!

mattfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have any predators...June, July, Aug, Sep.....you should have a whole lot more by now. Lol

My tank is LOADED with them and it all started with one cute little hitchhiker! Sometimes they irritate one of my zoa twizzler colonies - it's still not over them being all up in their biz but the colony itself is fine. Considering it was growing out of control, they're kinda doing me a favor keeping them in check.

Does anyone have exp with them being bad for the amphipod population?

It's likely my mandarin & wrasse have moved on from their many copepods. I ordered a ton of amphipods to reastablish what I once had - even during the day you'd see them out & about. It's more likely the wrasse & mandarin went to town and cleaned them all out (I rarely see them in the fuge anymore either) but if these starfish are going to make it impossible for them to repopulate in the rocks... then what to do?
20200915_215326.jpg
Dont worry . there Good Guys !

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back