Supplementing Amino Acids.... how important are they? Really?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused the more I read about dosing amino acids.

On one hand the thought is it stimulates growth. The other hand like 90% of the amino acids are SelfGenerated within the coral with really good lighting.

So what is it?

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I use it, 5ml in a 750xxl, I just get brown film algae growing all over my glass. I stopped using it. Noticed no difference, but I never did dose alot because of algae on glass.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above, I just get more algae growth. I think they are probably more useful in tanks fully packed with coral.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started using Brightwell CoralAmino a few weeks ago. I gotta say, this is the only supplement I have ever used that I actually saw an immediate and noticeable result. My dendros are open all day, and everything looks big and happy.

I do have a bit of algae on the sand bed, but not much more than I had before. I think it will balance out with a few months of use.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amino acids are just one source of nitrogen for corals and algae. Depending on a species preference for organic (amino acids, urea) or inorganic nitrogen (ammonia, nitrate) and how much is available in a system adding amino acids may or may not be beneficial.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefNewsNetwork has a great podcast episode that has a understandable in-depth talk about what aminos are and what your coral does with them. I had a similar experience with aminos when I first dosed it but now I have a better understanding of how to dose. I'm having great results and plan on making it a routine I'll stick to. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! You see undesirables scale it back.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP here....

UPDATE! 3 weeks of daily adding:
* 1ml of amino acids polyplabs "booster"
* 2ml of brightwell "replenish" trace elements
* Two 1/16th teaspoons of ReefRoids
* removed my filter socks
* turned down my skimmer by 25% on the dial

Not sure which of the above actions is doing what....

But I'm seeing areas where I was convinced my zoas had melted.... are now REGENERATING opening tiny polyps!!!

I'm seeing some AMAZING rebounding coming about

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefNewsNetwork has a great podcast episode that has a understandable in-depth talk about what aminos are and what your coral does with them. I had a similar experience with aminos when I first dosed it but now I have a better understanding of how to dose. I'm having great results and plan on making it a routine I'll stick to. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! You see undesirables scale it back.
Got a link?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back