Support brace emergency

Void760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon 48x18" tank that i bought second hand from someone. While bringing it home, the whole top shattered but the support brace in the middle just cracked badly. I removed the old glass and got a piece made the same size. Ive tried 100% silicone, gorilla glue, crazy glue, and this marine hold glue but nothing seems to be holding. Yes, i leave it on for at least 72 hours. Yes, i use a bar clamp to hold it in place, Yes, the surface is clean, yes the replacement glas is an exact fit. Nothing is working.

My tank is in its cycling phase now but it has 5 damsels and a starfish in it noe so i dont want to disturb it too much. Currently the bar clamp is what is holding it.

What can be done or is it someone in san diego area who can come and fix this???

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean " the whole top". I'm assuming it's glass. Maybe a pic is needed to see. There are plastic braces that's not glass, is that what you are talking about ?

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about a black plastic brace that's cracked ? Maybe a picture would explain more.

OP
OP
Void760

Void760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about a black plastic brace that's cracked ? Maybe a picture would explain more.
Its a glass piece not a black one. There is no glass now so i cant take a picture

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a glass tank that had two glass support braces across the top from front to back and the previous owner cut them out trying to make it rimless. Being that they are very important I wanted to make sure they were installed the right way. Along my research I found a similar scenario where multiple adhesives had been attempted. Even after cleaning between attempts there were remanants of chemical left behind preventing the silicon from properly bonding to the glass. The silicon is the best option of the items you listed. Ive heard gorilla glue can be harmful to some reef inhabitants... I know you said the surface was clean but something to try if you haven’t already; use a razor blade to scrape away any remanants of any of the adhesives on any surfaces that silicon will touch, even if you’re pretty sure there isn’t any. Then use rubbing alcohol to prep all the same surfaces. I know that just the smallest amount of debris or film or whatever left behind can prevent the silicone from getting a proper bond... One other thing to consider is the silicone you’re using, I know you said it’s 100% but could it be old? I don’t even know if that’s a thing? Just throwing it out there.... Hope you get it figured out man.

OP
OP
Void760

Void760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a glass tank that had two glass support braces across the top from front to back and the previous owner cut them out trying to make it rimless. Being that they are very important I wanted to make sure they were installed the right way. Along my research I found a similar scenario where multiple adhesives had been attempted. Even after cleaning between attempts there were remanants of chemical left behind preventing the silicon from properly bonding to the glass. The silicon is the best option of the items you listed. Ive heard gorilla glue can be harmful to some reef inhabitants... I know you said the surface was clean but something to try if you haven’t already; use a razor blade to scrape away any remanants of any of the adhesives on any surfaces that silicon will touch, even if you’re pretty sure there isn’t any. Then use rubbing alcohol to prep all the same surfaces. I know that just the smallest amount of debris or film or whatever left behind can prevent the silicone from getting a proper bond... One other thing to consider is the silicone you’re using, I know you said it’s 100% but could it be old? I don’t even know if that’s a thing? Just throwing it out there.... Hope you get it figured out man.
Thank you. I dont know if home depot sells old silicone but it was new when i bought it...lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back