Sure been discussed before, but for us 'senior citizens' your oldest fish, with a pic or two please, and what do you think has contributed to its succ

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These tangs have been together since 2006, so 15 years. Although blue is the boss, they get along great! The female ocelaris clownfish is even older, probably around 20.

Attachments

• 4684CAA0-2258-484B-BB20-A55C0312A27D.jpeg
    4684CAA0-2258-484B-BB20-A55C0312A27D.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 33

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink spot watchman goby that has been with me since 2005... so it must be at least 17 years old. It has survived an electrical fire (that caused a power outage which killed almost all of my fish), and 3 moves. Other than that, I've got a few fish that are 8+ years old (foxface, scopus tang, caribbean spotted hawk, reef chromis, talbott's damsel).

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the healthiest yellow tang I have ever seen. Looks like he is in the sea. I love it because those fish usually look lousy. :cool:

This Fireclown is about 30, give or take a few years. His mate is a few years younger.

This Watchman here is dying of old age at about 10. His mate followed a few weeks later.

Here he is as a baby

And middle age.

This copperband lived about 10 years.

This guy lived to about 10.

This Janss Pipefish is about 7 which is longer than their normal lifespan I think.

I don't remember buying this urchin but it has to be about 12 years ago or longer.

Thats the healthiest yellow tang I have ever seen. Looks like he is in the sea. I love it because those fish usually look lousy. :cool:

This Fireclown is about 30, give or take a few years. His mate is a few years younger.

This Watchman here is dying of old age at about 10. His mate followed a few weeks later.

Here he is as a baby

And middle age.

This copperband lived about 10 years.

This guy lived to about 10.

This Janss Pipefish is about 7 which is longer than their normal lifespan I think.

I don't remember buying this urchin but it has to be about 12 years ago or longer.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my sail fin tang in the recent freeze but here's a Purple tang that was bought with it in 1994. They were seperated in 2007 when rehomed to different tanks. The Yellow tang was bought in 2007 along with the pair of Flame Hawks (for about 10 years now the smaller one fairly frquently looks like it {she} swalloed a mable but looks normal a day or two later, spwning hasn't been confirmed but is strongly suspected). The Palau Green FInger (this is a confirmed colony of Sinularia foliata which is paler than some of the other Palau fingers) at the bottom was initially bought in 1997 but took a pretty bad hit last year when some disinfectant overspray got in the tank. Xenia was added last October to help remidiate the tank but I've had it in various tanks since late 90's and it traces back to the Smithsonian's ssytem in the 80s. The red chalice in this tank was lost last year but the one pictured was added last last fall and is the same clone line I've had for at least a decade. I'd say the secret to my success over the decades has been to leave my tanks alone, do consistant small water changes, don't rely on equipment or expect equipment to fix problems and don't use anything that might disrupt the bacteria.

IMG_20210708_143932926.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my sail fin tang in the recent freeze but here's a Purple tang that was bought with it in 1994. They were seperated in 2007 when rehomed to different tanks. The Yellow tang was bought in 2007 along with the pair of Flame Hawks (for about 10 years now the smaller one fairly frquently looks like it {she} swalloed a mable but looks normal a day or two later, spwning hasn't been confirmed but is strongly suspected). The Palau Green FInger (this is a confirmed colony of Sinularia foliata which is paler than some of the other Palau fingers) at the bottom was initially bought in 1997 but took a pretty bad hit last year when some disinfectant overspray got in the tank. Xenia was added last October to help remidiate the tank but I've had it in various tanks since late 90's and it traces back to the Smithsonian's ssytem in the 80s. The red chalice in this tank was lost last year but the one pictured was added last last fall and is the same clone line I've had for at least a decade. I'd say the secret to my success over the decades has been to leave my tanks alone, do consistant small water changes, don't rely on equipment or expect equipment to fix problems and don't use anything that might disrupt the bacteria.

IMG_20210708_143932926.jpg
94 for the PT?! Impressive! Along with the other accomplishments. I see you have a thing for Xenia like me lol...I like it for its flow, and its ( in my experience anyway) nitrate eating capability. That's another very healthy looking Yellow Tang you have as well. Congrats.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back