Surge protector That turns back on after a power outage

calanprc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a surge protector that will turn the power back on after it was tripped during a power outage?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your's don't turn back on?

All of mine do. I mostly use APC (wifi) smart strips.

They all power back up once the power is restored.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a surge protector that will turn the power back on after it was tripped during a power outage?

a surge protector doesn't "trip" during a power outage though, so I'm not really understanding your question.

Do you mean an UPS/APC rather than a surge protector?

OP
OP
calanprc

calanprc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kilowatt surge protector that tripped to off when we had the power go out this morning. I did not realize this until I noticed that my reef tank water level in the display was lower than usual. I had to manually turn it back on. Shouldn’t these surge protectors turn back on automatically?

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kilowatt surge protector that tripped to off when we had the power go out this morning. I did not realize this until I noticed that my reef tank water level in the display was lower than usual. I had to manually turn it back on. Shouldn’t these surge protectors turn back on automatically?
They shouldn’t have tripped in the first place. If the power goes out, the switch should remain in the on position. When the power comes back on it should just continue as if nothing happened.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shouldn’t have tripped in the first place. If the power goes out, the switch should remain in the on position. When the power comes back on it should just continue as if nothing happened.
+1
However, if a surge protector DOES trip, then, no, it won't turn back on by itself... that would defeat the purpose. (same with a GFCI).

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with this. Seems more like yours tripped. Could have had a power surge as part of the outage. That is what they are there for so seems like it worked.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your unit might be faulty because those are supposed to turn back on after power is restored. They even advertise having some type of Soft Start feature to protect your equipment when power is restored.

I'm assuming this is the one you have?

Kill A Watt owners manual

Retained Output Mode:
1. If the power supply to the Kill A Watt PS unit is interrupted and then restored, the LCD panel will flash to alert the user to an interruption. Press any of the function keys to stop the LCD from flashing. The unit will resume the output mode at time of power interruption. If the unit was ON, when power was removed, the unit will be ON when power is restored

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to be you had a surge and that's why it tripped. It protected all your equipment.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back