Surprised with Tamron 90mm results

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D800 (full frame sensor) with a Tamron 90mm lens. I have tried to use it a handful of times now, and I was quite surprised with how far away the images looked even with this macro lens. I see so many beautiful extreme-closeup images around here shot with this same lens...are you guys cropping your shots way down to get the impression of a zoomed in shot? If not, should I be using extension tubes or something?

I'll post some photos this evening to show examples of what I'm talking about.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using tokina 100mm with with nikon d5300, i dont think my shots are very faraway, but unless we compare the images, its hard to say for sure.

The Reef Dork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close are you looking to get? This is as tight as I can get without cropping. Although I have a cropped sensor.
DSC_0018-4500x3000.JPG

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tamron 90 on a Nikon 5600, I crop to the size I want the pic to be.
I picked up this acro yesterday, it is approx. 12 inches from the glass.
This is cropped about 50%.

DSC_0560 (1024x683).jpg

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some examples of the issues I'm having. These images are straight from the camera, no cropping. I used a D800, Tamron 90mm, high end tripod and remote shutter release.

This Microlados is about 12-14" back behind the glass. This is as close as I can get and I just can't get it into focus no matter what I do.

DCS_3487~.JPG

This bubblegum monti is about 10-12" behind the glass and I have the same issue.

DCS_3498~.JPG

These Eagle Eyes, Armor of Gods, and the hermit were all within 2-4" behind the glass and I also cannot seem to get a good focus on any of them. I have tried both manual and auto. The focus issue is readily apparent on the original image even before you attempt to blow it up.

DCS_3453~.JPG

DCS_3458~.JPG

DCS_3517~.JPG

As I type this out, I'm starting to think that if I could sort out my focus issue, I could crop these to achieve the close-ups I am looking for. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t have a lot of experience with macro photography but it sounds to me like you’re shooting from outside of the tank. If I’m not mistaken if you physically got closer with the lens you should be able to pull off some nice macro shots. That being said you would likely need a porthole to accomplish this.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even with my 100mm macro the “subject” still has to be pretty close to the glass to get those full frames polyp shots!

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you get the 1:1 90mm or the cheaper one? your aperture matters also i like to keep it between 9-13, 10 or 11 are my sweet spot . this photo was taken about 2 feet from the coral and cropped from full size to a 10x10

Red Planet temp edit_edited resized.jpg

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a lot of experience with macro photography but it sounds to me like you’re shooting from outside of the tank. If I’m not mistaken if you physically got closer with the lens you should be able to pull off some nice macro shots. That being said you would likely need a porthole to accomplish this.

Thanks Xmoji, but I'm all the way up against the glass with these already. I may need to look into a porthole for the top down shots.

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you get the 1:1 90mm or the cheaper one? your aperture matters also i like to keep it between 9-13, 10 or 11 are my sweet spot . this photo was taken about 2 feet from the coral and cropped from full size to a 10x10

Red Planet temp edit_edited resized.jpg

That is gorgeous, 5280Reefer, and quite representative of what I'm trying to accomplish. I do in fact have the 1:1 90mm lens and would be ecstatic if I could turn out something like this with it. Was this shot taken with the same 90mm lens? I'm really struggling to understand how you can get something this clear from 2 feet away.

I've been shooting a range of apertures, but will concentrate on the range you've specified to see if it makes a difference. In an attempt to understand why the huge gap in quality between my photos and yours, could I ask you to post the original un-edited version of this photo so I can better understand how much of it is done in post?

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is gorgeous, 5280Reefer, and quite representative of what I'm trying to accomplish. I do in fact have the 1:1 90mm lens and would be ecstatic if I could turn out something like this with it. Was this shot taken with the same 90mm lens? I'm really struggling to understand how you can get something this clear from 2 feet away.

I've been shooting a range of apertures, but will concentrate on the range you've specified to see if it makes a difference. In an attempt to understand why the huge gap in quality between my photos and yours, could I ask you to post the original un-edited version of this photo so I can better understand how much of it is done in post?

Thanks, and i do not use the same lens but the person who taught me how to use my uses the lens that you have haha! message me and we can hop on discord and i can help you out!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts, have the tip of the lens flat to the glass, square on and touching, any angle will create distortion.
There is a minimum focal distance for the lens, if the subject is just too close try with the hood on to stand the lens off the glass a bit.
Pick your focal point, one polyp or branch, adjust your depth of field for what you want to achieve.
I took this last night, hand held, the cyphastrea is about 20 inches from the end glass.
My Nikon 5600 has a zoom button for the screen, my eye sight is too poor to use the view finder so I always use the screen.
Pick a subject and practice, try different F stops for your DOF, the focal point and focus are the biggies, no manner of post processing will polish out poor focus.

DSC_0589 (1024x703).jpg

OP
OP
N2950H

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts, have the tip of the lens flat to the glass, square on and touching, any angle will create distortion.
There is a minimum focal distance for the lens, if the subject is just too close try with the hood on to stand the lens off the glass a bit.
Pick your focal point, one polyp or branch, adjust your depth of field for what you want to achieve.
I took this last night, hand held, the cyphastrea is about 20 inches from the end glass.
My Nikon 5600 has a zoom button for the screen, my eye sight is too poor to use the view finder so I always use the screen.
Pick a subject and practice, try different F stops for your DOF, the focal point and focus are the biggies, no manner of post processing will polish out poor focus.

Thanks for the tips. I've been shooting with the camera flat up against the glass in order to get as close as possible to the subject, so I don't think my focus issues are from glass refraction. I'll keep working at it and if I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere I'm going to rent a similar lens to see if I get a different result. Perhaps something is wrong with my lens or camera body and they need to be checked out.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back