OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think 4 powerheads is too many? I will put 2 down lower, 1 front, 1 back and 2 higher, front and back.

I had them on the back, pointing to front but I think it didn't work. Maybe 2 on back, 2 on sides. Of course, my issue might not be flow but just tank resettling, as when I feed, the food goes everywhere

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i like the idea of two on back ,two on sides,the best flow you can have is random ;) could not hurt to add another sack of denitrate,but leave 1st in for atleast another few weeks ,in my opinion would leave in total of 9-12 weeks,then discard:)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water change and sock change done. Vacuumed what I could in the sand. Blasted rocks. Still lots of fine sand and stuff coming out. Also noticed that brown layer on sand on rocks and back wall. Scrapped and some coraline flaked off. Was white under the brown.

Soooo, I think in resetting my tank, or from before, I lost a lot of the coraline on the back glass, maybe rocks too, and that's is why they are so full of gunk maybe, aside from all the stuff I try to blow off that just resettles.

I put 2 pw's on back wall. 1 in corner toward front, 1 in center toward front. 2 on each end. Will test flow tomorrow by blasting rocks and seeing where the gunk flows. The 2 in the left side/corner are pretty close to each other so will adjust.

Lost most of the new sps's. So discouraging sometimes.

I suspect my tank is going thru a cycle, without the typical am/nitrite/nitrate cycle but a cycle still of some sorts. So no more sps's for the time being. Will let the tank settle and calm. I hope.....

I have some sea lettuce in sump now. put it in a media bag to keep it from blocking the outlet to the return pump chamber. That's 2 types of macro algae. Still trying to get chaeto.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,you have come a long way, and a lot of work in 6 weeks ..only uphill from here :)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I am having a cyano issue, so when I have new saltwater mixed and ready, I'll dose chemi clean to see if I can get ahead of this. I'm thinking of dosing on the lower side. I think I have approx 130 gal minus sand and rock so might dose for 115 or 120 gal.

Also have some areas of sand that barely cover bottom so when things settle, might add a bit more sand to some areas. Can't even stand a frag on a plug in some areas as not enough sand. I have another 40 lb bag. Maybe another bucket of sand after I clean it.

I have 2 rodi replacements coming. Noticed the carbon has algae growing in it... so will change carbon and sentiment and see the tds. It was at 1.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't feel to bad about losing corals. After my heater malfunction I've lost almost all my sps, and now my brain corals are receding. I'll keep plugging along until they either recover or don't. It does suck though.
hi,where is your build? we can try to recover them:)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel to bad about losing corals. After my heater malfunction I've lost almost all my sps, and now my brain corals are receding. I'll keep plugging along until they either recover or don't. It does suck though.
Hugs!! that is heartbreaking. I suspect my heater and dead pw's contributed to mine, and having to go out of town. Do you have a build thread? I think I've asked before.

this hobby is not for the weak of heart...

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hugs!! that is heartbreaking. I suspect my heater and dead pw's contributed to mine, and having to go out of town. Do you have a build thread? I think I've asked before.

this hobby is not for the weak of heart...
hi,where is your build? we can try to recover them:)
No build yet, it's just a small holding/quarantine tank kind of setup as a display until our house is ready to move into.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reverend Turtle that is exciting. What size tank will you have?
Well, I have many to chose from. I've been hoarding tanks for years, but these corals were going to be in a 70 gallon "shallow" tank. It's 50"×21"×17", going to use a 40 breeder as a sump. But if everything dies, though all my shrooms and zoas are doing great, I may set up a 100 gallon softy tank instead.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update;
Did chemiclean. Not noticing a lot of change. Maybe some. Perhaps expired? Didn't check. Also forgot to remove carbons for about an hour. Then later discovered 2 purigens still in tank.

Debating trying vibrant. There is so much sludgy stuff in rocks and back wall. Prob. same as the stuff on the sand bed. There is a ton of flow as the stuff waves nicely in the tank...Posted in forum and in vibrant thread. Is a nice clean tank too much to ask? Lol's. Apparently...

Received a nice frag holder with magnets. Eager to try it as it keeps corals off sand bed.

Well, my tank just does not like ph's on the back wall. Every time I try the toadstool sulks and refuses to open. so back to 2 on each side

Numbers still in same ranges. I did hook up my doser. Had to up the mag to 10 ml 2x's a day. Will test again tomorrow. Here are the images I uploaded for the "sludge" It's not dinos as no snot
20201124_131245.jpg
20201124_131300.jpg
20201124_133450.jpg
20201124_134824.jpg
20201124_134838.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, moving this from discussion thread to a new build thread. This is my second time trying to reboot this tank. So counting the original set up, this makes I hope, 3rd times the charm! I'm inspired by my son-in-law who just set up a custom 400 peninsula tank. God, it is a beauty! So, time to get my beauty back.

Life intruded for the last couple years, and I had to put my tank on hold.
-2018 I lost my mom who lived with us. As she smoked in her room, I had it painted with a special primer for smoking, and it was so noxious, it wiped out half my fish and corals in 3 tanks! Talk about a huge white bacteria bloom!
-2019 my daughter decided to get married in Croatia-destination wedding (and it was a fairytale wedding and experience!) so I took down all but the 125 tank as we were going to be gone 3 weeks, and I didn't want a pet sitter overwhelmed. All money went for that trip! 2020 as we all know has been with its own challenges. Esp. in California where not everything is reopened, or safe to go out, like to fish stores. And summer here is too hot to order any live fish or corals. So now that fall is about here, now is the time!

I also admit to some disappointment with the tank. It is just a "cheap" glass tank. My first tank was starfire glass (RS Max c250). I wanted to go bigger so found the one I know have. It isn't as wide as I'd wanted so my rockscape wasn't what I envisioned. And the glass, being used, gets coraline fast that is hard to remove. I should have waited but oh well. This is what I have until I upgrade.

I've lost most corals. But all fish seem to be doing good. So now I'm ready to reboot and redo. I spent time today making a plan. And it will be a job. Here is my plan:

Start now
  • Clean glass in stages to not overwhelm system (no3 is off charts as it is)
  • Clean sump. Remove all media and vacuum out as much as I can without taking all the water out with the refuge
  • work on 45 gal tank RS Max e170. Remove the atv we tried to use as sealant for bulkhead leaks (has option of under cabinet sump). The seals, I think, dried out. So now I have to remove all the stuff we used, and take bulk heads out to check seals. I need this tank to hold rock that I remove from the 125 to keep it live. fix and move to new location.
  • research new lights. The marine orbits just don't seem to do for the corals
  • buy sand
  • clean all powerheads. Use pitcher of vinegar water hanging on rim to soak each powerhead
Next Step
Set up 45 gal tank, remove sand in stages- I have very fine sand that blows around. I'm going to add some med. 1-2mm size. I'll devise a way to dump sand where I want it, down a pvc pipe maybe.
Remove a lot of rock and redo scape
Rescue Clown stuck in overflow if still alive... I put food in there everyday. use old sand to fill overflow where it is stuck to get it out.... If he is still alive. I put food there every day.... Then vacuum out sand. Put him in the 45 and decide whether to give away, buy another. Have 1 pair in tank already
Add new sand
Redo landscape
Replace lights
Fix all electrical cords
Hook up doser and manifold. If easy to change water, perhaps I'll do it more often!
Lastly: buy fish and corals!
set up schedule for water changes and testing

Okay, I guess a new build needs pics, even ones that are embarassing!!! I'll make a list of my fish after I can see lol's.

20200920_184311_resized.jpg

And here it is. Just awful. You can tell which side I always start to clean first lol's. The 45 will be moved to the dining room to free up some living room space. Like for my xmas tree...
20200920_184336_resized.jpg

Sigh. There are fish in there...

20200920_184342_resized.jpg

20200920_184353_resized.jpg

20200920_184357_resized (1).jpg
20200920_184357_resized.jpg
whoa. That is a mountain but I am so very impressed with your ability to plan it out in bite sized stages. I truly hope the little clown makes it out. I look forward to following along. I am planning out my 6' long build right now. Hang in there.... we're in this together!! #reefbuddies!!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update;
Did chemiclean. Not noticing a lot of change. Maybe some. Perhaps expired? Didn't check. Also forgot to remove carbons for about an hour. Then later discovered 2 purigens still in tank.

Debating trying vibrant. There is so much sludgy stuff in rocks and back wall. Prob. same as the stuff on the sand bed. There is a ton of flow as the stuff waves nicely in the tank...Posted in forum and in vibrant thread. Is a nice clean tank too much to ask? Lol's. Apparently...

Received a nice frag holder with magnets. Eager to try it as it keeps corals off sand bed.

Well, my tank just does not like ph's on the back wall. Every time I try the toadstool sulks and refuses to open. so back to 2 on each side

Numbers still in same ranges. I did hook up my doser. Had to up the mag to 10 ml 2x's a day. Will test again tomorrow. Here are the images I uploaded for the "sludge" It's not dinos as no snot
20201124_131245.jpg
20201124_131300.jpg
20201124_133450.jpg
20201124_134824.jpg
20201124_134838.jpg
chewy.com has a buy 2, get one free mix and match sale going on. They also have better prices on Dr. Tim's than most of the traditional reef sites (BRS, Marine Depot, etc.) You can get two bottles of Waste Away and one Refresh. Reviews seem positive.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back