Susan's 125 gal re-reboot. 3rd Times the Charm

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just photo hopped, but it was like watching an episode of Flip that House.

Well done! That's such an awesome transformation.

Took the liberty of putting it here for you so you can see for yourself ;-)
20200920_184311_resized.jpg

20200923_144055_resized_1.jpg

20201005_192126_resized.jpg

20210321_124816.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just photo hopped, but it was like watching an episode of Flip that House.

Well done! That's such an awesome transformation.

Took the liberty of putting it here for you so you can see for yourself ;-)
Wow!! I've forgotten what the tank was like 6 months ago. What a cool and great thing you did. Makes my day!! Sometimes this journey feels like an all uphill climb! All exhausting work, not so much payoff. But I sure see the payoff in your post. So thanks again!!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! I've forgotten what the tank was like 6 months ago. What a cool and great thing you did. Makes my day!! Sometimes this journey feels like an all uphill climb! All exhausting work, not so much payoff. But I sure see the payoff in your post. So thanks again!!
I figured you didn't remember :D, but literally people would pay 3-5K out here in los angeles to have someone come do to their messed up tanks what you've done on your own.

Well done!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you didn't remember :D, but literally people would pay 3-5K out here in los angeles to have someone come do to their messed up tanks what you've done on your own.

Well done!
thanks!!! Heck, I'd have paid someone lol's. Not that much, but hey!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay update. I'm determined to figure out why corals don't do well and make changes before I order more. The last batch was probably put in too soon after the reboot process, but some lasted 3 -4 months before dying. I don't know if it my tank, or if they are so stressed, that even though they look good, they are already on their way out. My duncan is on its way out. Parameters should be okay for it. I have plating coraline so that is growing. The mushrooms and leathers are good. Hairy mushroom is 5 on the rock now and the palys have spread. I just added a nem and don't want to lose it!

I checked Live Aquaria salt and the numbers there seem okay. If needed, I can get another salt and mix half and half but I don't think it is the salt. I ordered 2 test kits: iron and strontium to see those levels. I've been adding vitachem to the water, selcon to the food--not every feeding. Oh, fish are good. 1 mandarin disappeared and tank is overrun with pods so might just be age. Had her since 2017. Have another in observation.

Also ordered some aminos to add, and will start using more coral foods 2-3 times a week. I fell off the wagon there. Also ordered the santa monica 1.4x algae scrubber to try to get rid of algae and nutrients.

So far, the 2 nems in 2 tanks seem to be holding their own. Can't get them to eat yet but gently blast with the fish food for anything nutrients there they might inhale in (adding some of the powdered freeze dried stuff).
Added 3 sapphire damsels/1 mandarin/1 tiny clown to the observation. All eating and healthy so far. Rocks will have to come out to get the damsels out no doubt. Except nem rock.

got a bunch of the single serve containers like fast food use with lids so will make up my dry mixtures. I do that for frozen in freezer. Returning to work (2 days a week mid april) so trying get my action plan. Operation Warp Corals lol's. I want to order corals soon! Keep them on frag holders until no algae on the rocks or on the sandbed.

Image of my observation tank. Red Sea E170. 2 huge leathers-actually 3 as one split and they welded together. Nem in the back. Mandarin, 1 damsel and 2 clowns. thought I had everyone Then the 2 nems
20210326_192438.jpg

125 gal
20210326_193508.jpg

40 gal observation tank
20210326_193528.jpg

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan - First, shout out to you in Tracy! In what seems like 100 years ago, I worked at the grand opening of the West Valley Mall!

And second, your tank transformation has been amazing and inspiring! This hobby is not without its challenges and frustrations... but you my dear, are a warrioress. I think if I would have been faced with the tank in the before pic, I would have turn off the light, done an about-face and opened a bottle of wine. Well done you (and Hubby!)!

And lastly, Chemiclean is the devil.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay update. I'm determined to figure out why corals don't do well and make changes before I order more. The last batch was probably put in too soon after the reboot process, but some lasted 3 -4 months before dying. I don't know if it my tank, or if they are so stressed, that even though they look good, they are already on their way out. My duncan is on its way out. Parameters should be okay for it. I have plating coraline so that is growing. The mushrooms and leathers are good. Hairy mushroom is 5 on the rock now and the palys have spread. I just added a nem and don't want to lose it!

I checked Live Aquaria salt and the numbers there seem okay. If needed, I can get another salt and mix half and half but I don't think it is the salt. I ordered 2 test kits: iron and strontium to see those levels. I've been adding vitachem to the water, selcon to the food--not every feeding. Oh, fish are good. 1 mandarin disappeared and tank is overrun with pods so might just be age. Had her since 2017. Have another in observation.

Also ordered some aminos to add, and will start using more coral foods 2-3 times a week. I fell off the wagon there. Also ordered the santa monica 1.4x algae scrubber to try to get rid of algae and nutrients.

So far, the 2 nems in 2 tanks seem to be holding their own. Can't get them to eat yet but gently blast with the fish food for anything nutrients there they might inhale in (adding some of the powdered freeze dried stuff).
Added 3 sapphire damsels/1 mandarin/1 tiny clown to the observation. All eating and healthy so far. Rocks will have to come out to get the damsels out no doubt. Except nem rock.

got a bunch of the single serve containers like fast food use with lids so will make up my dry mixtures. I do that for frozen in freezer. Returning to work (2 days a week mid april) so trying get my action plan. Operation Warp Corals lol's. I want to order corals soon! Keep them on frag holders until no algae on the rocks or on the sandbed.

Image of my observation tank. Red Sea E170. 2 huge leathers-actually 3 as one split and they welded together. Nem in the back. Mandarin, 1 damsel and 2 clowns. thought I had everyone Then the 2 nems
20210326_192438.jpg

125 gal
20210326_193508.jpg

40 gal observation tank
20210326_193528.jpg
In my personal opinion the best care routine for nems has always been to let a pair of clowns take care of them.

They will fed them and clean them. They also beat them up a little, but it's worth it to the nem.

the only other thing I've added is an occasional silverside or larger (dime piece) of fish meat or other meat on a weekly or every other week basis.

The more you feed them the bigger they will grow, and I always like mine to grow slowly since I never want them to take over and start stinging the bajeebus out of everything else in the tank.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal opinion the best care routine for nems has always been to let a pair of clowns take care of them.

They will fed them and clean them. They also beat them up a little, but it's worth it to the nem.

the only other thing I've added is an occasional silverside or larger (dime piece) of fish meat or other meat on a weekly or every other week basis.

The more you feed them the bigger they will grow, and I always like mine to grow slowly since I never want them to take over and start stinging the bajeebus out of everything else in the tank.
that's a good point. I do not want them overrunning the tank. I'd like to feed them just so I know they are eating. So far, no nems are hosting. But only been a few days.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan - First, shout out to you in Tracy! In what seems like 100 years ago, I worked at the grand opening of the West Valley Mall!

And second, your tank transformation has been amazing and inspiring! This hobby is not without its challenges and frustrations... but you my dear, are a warrioress. I think if I would have been faced with the tank in the before pic, I would have turn off the light, done an about-face and opened a bottle of wine. Well done you (and Hubby!)!

And lastly, Chemiclean is the devil.
Wow, small world!! And thank you. Hubby only does things like lights or plumbing. The rest is all mine... Oh, he helps pick out corals lol's.

Yeah, I hate chemiclean. The observation tank is overrun so may have to dose it. Might do a half dose and see.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a good point. I do not want them overrunning the tank. I'd like to feed them just so I know they are eating. So far, no nems are hosting. But only been a few days.

The only way i've ever "sped it up"

If you turn on reds, and catch them in a large net.

Then upside the net so the only way for them to get out is to swim through the Nem.

They eventually figure it out and also realize this is a great place to live :).

Only works if the nem is in a spot you can do this, and if you can catch those pesky clowns. lol.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been a thread or two on here about people playing videos of clownfish being hosted by an anemone. They play the video on their phone and place it against side of tank for an hour or more. Some say their clowns learned to host in their nem.

The idea is that tank-bred clowns never learned about nems. Wild-caught clowns don't usually have this issue.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been a thread or two on here about people playing videos of clownfish being hosted by an anemone. They play the video on their phone and place it against side of tank for an hour or more. Some say their clowns learned to host in their nem.

The idea is that tank-bred clowns never learned about nems. Wild-caught clowns don't usually have this issue.
I might try that after the nems are settled in

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron test came in at 0 so will get some feron tablets and dose. Debating testing potassium as well. Just to see if I can pin down why corals not doing so well.

Also wondering if my marine pure blocks are breaking down and causing no3 issues in the sump. Had for a year. Next wc I might clean out the sump, except refugium.

Ugh day. 2nd shot yesterday. Been running fever since yesterday afternoon. Feel uck.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

haha I wonder how many people have tried this and succeeded.

I can only imagine the percentages are mediocre. But maybe I’m wrong.

I know I’d feel like a fool if I did it for hours with no result. It’d make me want to start yelling at my clowns like they’d understand.

:rolleyes:

“Why can’t you be like them?!?! Huh?!? What genome is missing in your little clown brains?!?!”

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this afternoon, stacking my tablet as high as I could get it and be stable. Used the gal of ca for weight lol's. will try tomorrow. And try the other tank too. But I'll wait until that nem is looking better. Desperate people, desperate means.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested Iodide (?) and it came out trace. Will test again tomorrow. Added a partial dose to tank tonight. Going to test potassium and strontium when the kits get here. Have pods coming from algae barn and some ulva lettuce that I'll try. Might try a small powerhead in the refugium but it might be too much in there. Prob. better in the main sump section to increase flow into the refugium? Also ordered some black mesh to add a bit more of a block to the noodles section that goes to the return pump to keep lettuce from blocking the water outlet from the refugium. I'll make a basket for it. Have egg crate I can use as well. Have live rock in there so will shift it to make a space to float the cube and hold it. Will also prepare area for my santa monica drop 1/4x algae scrubber.

Maybe all this will help by the time I get new corals in the tank!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some iron tablets. they say prenatal health--only ones at 27 mg. Rest were much higher. Can these be used? They are pink, not green. @Randy Holmes-Farley

edited to remove label as I'm not using per Randy's advice

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some great news! Both of my new BTA's have eaten! The one in the 125 yesterday and the sicky one in the Observation/QT tank today. It took a long time for today. Had to use the tips of tweezers to keep the shrimp from floating away. The nem doesn't have extended tentacles most of the time, but I could tell it was working to keep that shrimp. Had some stickiness to some of its tentacles. I'd say a good 20 min before it swallowed it. That is a relief!

Ordered the correct iron and won't use the ones above

Tested both tanks.
125 gal:
alk 9.9
PO4 .07 (yeah!!)
ca 360
no3 20
mg 1410
iodide .03
Iron zip. 2 more test kits coming (strontium, potassium)

QT Tank which is more observation
Alk 8
PO4 .07
ca 360
No3 5
Mg 1350

Not too bad. need Calcium up. got a gravel vacuum for the 40 gal. Bad cyano. Another type of vacuum arriving Sat. for the sump of the 125. battery operated. Hate getting the shop vac out all the time. So will try this for quick clean ups

Good progress.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium level is good at 420. Iodide is up to .03. Dosing some amino food. Not heavy, for a 100 gal tank and I have about 125 gal of water give or take with rocks and sump (155 pure water). Dosing extra calcium, and upped the doser. Should up the alk a bit to get it closer to 10 (9.6 or so)

Some of the algae is turning white. Some pulling off real easy. Some was even crunch when I went in to pull. So yanked a bunch. Waiting on my algae scrubber. Still have some cyano. Need to see what to try. Don't want to use the meds. screws up my skimmer!!

I read a post here that Po4 should be 10'x No3. So at 20 no3 I should be balanced at .2 but am at .07. Rather get the no3 down lol's

Ordered some corals from corals anonymous. Arrive tomorrow. We'll see. And can't wait to get a weeping willow. One of my dream corals. We'll see how this batch does and if anything I'm doing makes a difference. Have my dip stuff ready.

Ordered:
Product imageDescriptionQuantityPrice
Teal Striped Red Acans (1 Polyps) - 1 Polyp

Teal Striped Red Acans (1 Polyps)1 Polyp1$19.99
Purple Rimmed Red Acans (2-3 Polyps) - 2-3 Polyps

Purple Rimmed Red Acans (2-3 Polyps)2-3 Polyps1$19.99
Daisy Smurfette Zoa - 2 Polys

Daisy Smurfette Zoa2 Polys1$19.99
Pink Wink Zoa - 2 Polyps

Pink Wink Zoa2 Polyps1$14.99
Blue Rimmed Rhodactis Mushroom

Blue Rimmed Rhodactis Mushroom1$12.99
Eagle Eye Zoa - 2 Polyps

Eagle Eye Zoa2 Polyps1$10.49
Neon Green Candy Cane - 1 Polyp

Neon Green Candy Cane1 Polyp1$6.99
Mini Gold Cristata Torch - Double Polyp

Mini Gold Cristata TorchDouble Polyp1$44.99
Rainbow Branching Frammer

Rainbow Branching Frammer1$49.99
Aussie Pink Branching Hammer (Single Polyp)

Aussie Pink Branching Hammer (Single Polyp)1$49.99

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back