Susan's 125 gal re-reboot. 3rd Times the Charm

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when you shut off vac ,water may/will still keep flowing gravity flow :)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you shut off vac ,water may/will still keep flowing gravity flow :)
ah, got you. Yeah, I'd only do it to move hose to new spot super quick like! Not sure it would be worth the effort to do a vac in the main display. lots of emptying water!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small amt done today but lots to say. As usual, :D. Will get as much sand out tomorrow in a water change that I can do. The 1" hose takes out too much water too fast so going down a size and shorter length so it is easier to unclog. Removed more rock, used powerhead to blow off. The bottom layers I'm not removing. They are cemented and too big and heavy to get out. Cleaned a rock and put it in on the right side. Not sure if that side will remain as I have it. Some adjustment. But I like the layers and terraces. The arch-type rock next to that stack has mushrooms, so after sand it out, will position it against the stack.

Removed several rocks from left and added them to the 45 to hold until I clean. They won't go back in the DT until all sand that I can remove is out. Tomorrow, I'll remove all small rubble and empty shells and before I start the sand removal, I'll use my long tweezers to be sure no naraurius snails are in there. In fact I'll feed the tank and count and even pick up and move them. I have 5 left. Hmm, I have some stretch netting (for sewing spools of thread) that I'll rubber band to end of hose so I can suck up anything that will get stuck inside. This netting worked great for covering powerheads when I had a nem.

New sand arrived. On the advice of sil who has a 400 gal and humongous sump set up I'll go bare bottom for a couple of weeks while I deal with rocks and making sure everything blown off and rearranged. One of my initial mistakes was that I forgot to wash the rocks... Stupid... Once parameters are looking good, I'll add sand in but a thinner bed so I can blow it clean and keep it clean. Maybe only 1 inch. With 80 lbs, will prob. have enough that I can add in time if needed. The caves might allow 2 inches for burrowing critters and fish

Good thing I'm going to be ordering lights. One of my current orbits is too flakey to use. The end that plugs into the controller box isn't working right--light flicker on and off at the point where it plugs into the controller. (not the actual power cord). The other night that cord was very hot to the touch. Very hot. So I've unplugged it and am running 1 light. I tried a spare controller box or whatever it is called, and same thing, so it is the cord itself.

A nice surprise is my PO4 is dropping. From 1.43 on the 24th or 25th? to .71 yesterday. No3 is still off charts. All the water changes and blowing detritus out will hopefully start making that better. The rocks in there are covered...

20200930_212548_resized.jpg

Rock removed from left size. More rock to go. Will save the white tipped leather on the rock near the toadstool. The other one, too dark to see I probably won't save. Took 2 others out that were either dead or almost dead. Rock on right I may keep. All clean. Just need to remove sand.
20200930_233905_resized.jpg

I like the levels on the right section. it's not a sheer rock face. There is plenty of flat face for encrusters like montipora etc. And terraces for others and sps on top. Rock to the left I'll arch up a bit. It has green rhodactis on it. Right now I can still move it to get to sand. Arrowhead shaped rock in back was my centerpiece until the blue toadstool got so huge. Will use some coral putty to secure that top rock better.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress today using the hose I found discarded in the side yard! Prob. 3/4? Don't care. It took a lot of sand out before I had to stop. I use a 40 gal for salt, and a 40gal when I take out water so I know I have enough salt water to refill DT. Had to go thru sand carefully as I found 3 of my N snails and a couple hermits. Will see if I can make a filter to keep big stuff from being sucked in.,

Took out a couple more rocks, baster blew the left foundation. Needs more. Stuck a rock on top. Might stay, might not!

Had some giant palys off their rock so stuck them in the octo isolation tank/box and my hairy mushrooms. Giant palys will prob get glue to either the rock of large palys (half the size) or on the base of the toadstool.

Will go another water change, sand removal Sat or Sun. This time I'll hit the middle. And will remember to feed tank first for the N snails lol's

20201001_192219_resized.jpg

The octo box I won last april or may here on R2R. If the clowns are mean enough they may go inside!!

20201001_193229_resized.jpg

Need to clean glass. Already blew stuff off rocks.
20201001_193233_resized.jpg

Top rock has palys on it. Temporairy here to get it out of the way. In my old tank, it was taking over, so do not want it on my main rocks. This rock will go next to a rock that is also isolated. I like the middle white rock as again, the bottom offers terraces so this has possibilities

20201001_193239_resized.jpg

This section is preliminarily cleaned. Some of this sand, both on the right and left will remain as my pistol/goby pair are under that rock. I haven't seen the goby in a couple of days so I hope they are! Took out the rock with a leather that looks to be gone or on it's way. I have 1 white tipped that I'll keep.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somehow when I started this, I didn't think removing sand would be such a time consuming pain lol's. starting to do a coral plan with coral draw. Will online order some from a semi local place, and see what LA has and plan where to put them before I order. Water parameters should be good. PO4 coming down. Just need no3 down. Tank is aged, so I should be good to go. Of course, this is weeks away yet...

Oh, ordered lights! Came up with a drawing to make a simple light holder until we get a canopy (unless my hubby gives it the stink eye and says no way. Just 1x2 frame around rim of tank. 1x3 or 2x3's on each side in the middle vertical. Another 2x3 going across tank and either hooks to hang lights or hook hanging wires around the 2x3 cross piece. Prob. need a horizontal 1x2 going across middle of tank with another upward arm to brace. If he doesn't vetto it, I'll scan my drawing. lol's. Lights will be here by sunday or monday I believe.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights came today!! 3 of the viparspectres 165w's. Now to figure out how to hang them--Probably brackets attached to a strip of wood and then the wood attached to wall (less screws into the wall, plus no worries about studs or using mollies)

No tank work yesterday. A day of peace for the fish. Will prob. do more sand/waterchange tomorrow. Confirmed I have 7 N snails in the bed. Will do more rock brushing/cleaning/blowing in tank today, and clean off a few more rocks that I may want to add back into tank.

Will test all lights today and make sure all work!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another week, after parts come in, and I should have new lights up. My hubby has it all worked out. And to get rid of the 3 light cords unattractive aspect, he is making a hotdog mold. 3 cords go in, 1 comes out. Nice having an design engineer hubby. The pic below is the mold. Not sure exactly how it works but he assures me he knows what he's doing lol's. The sealed one is his example with cords. I'll post pics of it done.

my wet vac came. Bigger than I'd wanted, but the 5 gal buckethead was too small, and my choices were a 6 g or 9 gal so went with the 9. I'll be able to do the sump now.
1601772116716.png

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our wall mounts started. Need hardware which will be here on Tue. Plus hubby has to machine 12 standoffs for the lights. Hight is set for 14 inches I believe but he says we can adjust-probably by new standoffs I think. All silver/aluminum will be spray painted black. Waiting on paint to come with the hardware. We lucked out. studs were almost centered where needed for the tank. It will be nice to move the lights to the side if I need! Next weekend should be done!. Railings just sitting there for the pic. Need the hardware from McMastercarr for those. Gonna look sweet!

20201004_182339_resized.jpg
20201004_182359_resized.jpg
20201004_182403_resized.jpg

Back