OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got in the above corals from Coral Anonymous. Will see how they do. right now, they are not happy!

I was impressed with the packaging, the fact that I got the shipment by 1030am and their pics.

I def got more polyps on each of acans 4-6 on each, 2 on the candy cane instead of 1, 1 hammer looks like it has 3 not 2 and each zoa has 4-5 or 6. I hope the hammers open. I can see color on 2 but not on one,

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost 1 torch already. All closed. Looked gone. Small grain of sand on it so blew it off and what was left flew off so it was dead. Bummer.

1 acro doing well, other is so-so. Btas still not happy in either tank. 3 zoas look great. Candy cane not opening yet. Rhodactis looking nice. Other 2 torches might be okay. Not very stretched out so i don't know.

Did get my algae scrubber in. We shall see. Will do pics tomorrow. Increased flow at surface both tanks. We'll see if that helps any of the issues! 40 gal really bad cyano.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your magnesium levels? Euphyllia like higher mag levels. I know I was having issues with mine until I raised it to 1400+ mg/l.
Just a thought.
Mag is at 1410 so that should be good. The other 2 seem okay. Have them sort of near a corner, down low. Turned my whites down to 4 and blues to 50 as the acans not all fluffy today. Blues were at 70 and whites close to 10

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, have some major updating to do. First update: I am blown away and thrilled.
My clowns mated and laid eggs!! Wow! They host that huge leather toad stool (it's not aways happy about it) and just spotted the orange eggs today

My tank cannot be doing too bad for this, right? I know there won't be babies with all the other fish but am jazzed.
20210420_192742_resized.jpg
20210420_192801_resized.jpg
20210420_193000_resized.jpg
20210420_193006_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All BTA’s are either dead or missing. One went down the backside of a rock and then under. No idea if it is still there or not. I’m so sad. Really wanted them. Do not get BTA’s from LA. I heard the diver’s den might be better but I’ll stick with a fish store.

Also lost the tiny clown in the observation tank. Not sure if it was bullied by 3 sapphire damsels or not. It was super tiny so again, I’ll wait for a fish store trip to replace. Thinking I’m going to leave the damsels in that tank as the clown is def. happier with several other fish for company. I’ll catch the mandarin and put that in the 125 gal.

Algae scrubber has algae starting. Need to find the directions for it and see if I should turn on all lights or if I need to wait a bit.

Most of the new corals are hanging in there. Will test tank tomorrow.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi sorry to hear,maybe better off with tank raised nems ,from local ,or close to ship,they seem to fair better ,lfs normally has wild and is just as much of risk ,and homegrown seem to split more readily... :)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi sorry to hear,maybe better off with tank raised nems ,from local ,or close to ship,they seem to fair better ,lfs normally has wild and is just as much of risk ,and homegrown seem to split more readily... :)
thanks. Yeah, I'll be more selective next time.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do an update maybe later tonight! Here is my newest project

So I've been hatching brine shrimp for my 3 tanks (2 salt, 1 fresh) as I was getting in some new fish. I have a hatchery and I'd just take out the ones ready and put them in a mason jar with an airline. Every once in a while I'd dump in a pinch of Spirulina powder or some phyto. I wasn't aiming to raise them. After a while, I wasn't feeding them as much to the tanks, and the baby brine grew to adults! I noticed a few. Then I noticed a lot of adults. So I set up a 5 gal tank with a sponge filter. No heater as my house keeps the tanks at 77-79.

I started another batch of eggs to add. to my new 5 gal tank. So now I need to figure out how to raise them. Like how often to feed? What to feed besides spirulina powder, paracoccus powder (if that is okay) and phyto (if that is good)

Is it okay to just add the powder to the surface or should I mix with tank water and add.
Also, in the same set up, can I raise copepods in with the shrimp?

I know from doing copepods you let the water turn green and when it cleared you added more phyto. Is it the same with brine? Is this sponge filter food enough for a 5 gal?

My grandkids will get a kick out of this esp. as I can change the led light colors.
20210508_170403.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is so frustrating!! Numbers are pretty good. PO4 down to.04 and no3 about 10-15. I just can't get corals to thrive. Sent off a icp water test. Tank hasn't done well since the primer fumes killed off 3/4 of fish and corals end of 2018. Wondering if there is still some issues from that. Been traveling so overdue for water change. Right now not even vibrant is helping with algae and the only corals surviving are softies. In fact, they are thriving!!! I did up my lights a bit.

My son-in-law who has a 500 gal tank thinks my rocks are part of the issue even though I started this tank in 2018. He set up his new tank with Real Reef rock. His tank is beautiful. One of the best I've ever seen even with all the great tanks here.

Part of my dissatisfaction comes from admitting that my tank isn't what I wanted. I jumped at buying a bigger used tank which has regular plain glass. I miss the starphire glass of my old red sea. Also it is too narrow with twin overflows to do much scaping. And I think because the rock is so close to the overflow boxes, that is also part of my issue. Even with 4 powerheads. So I made a decision. I am going to upgrade to the tank I wanted but was too impatient to wait for. I've learned a lot having to put this one together sump on up compared to my AIO. Now I will get what I want. What I dream of.

I'm going for a waterbox 320. Or the 220. But if I am going to spend 6k, I'll go the next step and get the Lx-320. 231g display, 69 sump, 18 ATO. 30 inches wide, 86 long and 23 high. It will be taller than what I have but I'll work it. Also debating putting it in my office where I can see it all the time. Current tank is in living room, and we seldom go in there so it really is a waste. Old tank was in my office and I loved to sit and write and watch fish. Will have to pay to add a breaker just for the tank. That was an issue in winter with space heaters and tank.

So I'm in budget mode, saving mode, and research mode. Might start a new build on my journey? Not sure. Told hubby what the tank will cost and his head didn't explode lol's.

So will see what the water test shows, and will concentrate on trying to fix tank and not put anymore money into corals. The new tank will have all man made rock, plus the rocks i have that are covered with Gps, rhodactis and palys. And a hairy mushroom rock. Oh, my huge blue toadstool (which needs to be trimmed as it is too heavy!)

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are my corals after almost 2 weeks for some, 1 week for others. Also some of what has survived through some very tough times lol's

Paly / rhodactis rock. GSP rock behind. Survivors
20201026_125936.jpg

White Tipped leather. Returning nicely
20201026_125924.jpg

Blue Toadstool. Also returning nicely

20201026_125920.jpg

Giant palys. My husband's favorites. True survivors
20201026_125915.jpg

Pretty eyes cyphastrea or blue planet cyphastrea. Pretty eyes I think!
20201026_125855.jpg

blue planet ecyphastrea
20201026_193316.jpg

Blue eyed leptastrea
20201026_125848.jpg

Silver eye & purple leptastrea
20201026_125840.jpg

Forrest Fire Rhodactis
20201026_125832.jpg

acans. Aussie from coloring?
20201026_125812.jpg

pink pop chalice
20201018_201825.jpg

Poci green
20201018_201642.jpg

superman monti didgi Not sure it is super happy here. It is sideways as I don't want to glue it down if I need to move back down. The frag disk is where it was before I knocked it off...

20201026_193418.jpg

Poritidae
20201026_193506.jpg

candy cane day

20201026_194757.jpg

candy cane at night
20201018_210629.jpg

mint chip blastos
20201026_194806.jpg

galaxy on bottom. not sure if it should be higher
20201026_194845.jpg

ricordias 3 of them
20201026_193527.jpg
Are these chromis the leftovers from the previous incarnation of the tank? What kind are they? Marvelous looking fish! Fantastic job on the rehab!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these chromis the leftovers from the previous incarnation of the tank? What kind are they? Marvelous looking fish! Fantastic job on the rehab!
They are actually staghorn damsels. I got them by error from LA instead of lemon damsels. They are thriving lol's. I'm not super happy with them as they take up a lot of fish real estate but they are super active fish. I was/am contemplating trying to trade some in so I can get some other fish, but if I go ahead with this bigger tank upgrade, then they would be fine in a new tank.

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually staghorn damsels. I got them by error from LA instead of lemon damsels. They are thriving lol's. I'm not super happy with them as they take up a lot of fish real estate but they are super active fish. I was/am contemplating trying to trade some in so I can get some other fish, but if I go ahead with this bigger tank upgrade, then they would be fine in a new tank.
Thanks for the ID.
I would offer to buy them but shipping them to Arkansas some time in the future really isn’t what I am planning.
My current 120 build is going to be a departure in stocking. I have always been a big fan of tangs and angels. I just love dropping two hundred or more on a fish and have them not get thru quarantine.
This tank is going to house a bunch of damsels for color and movement and a bunch of gobies and blennies for character and comic relief.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on water test results. Hope it is okay as I have several rocks with corals that I need to xfer to a new tank--no way to remove them. One of them is from the first batch of coral I put in my first tank.

Doing lots of research and budget planning for a new build. Eager to start but plan to go slow. The money involved will achieve that lol's. Need to find out when there will be waterboxes available and time my order to get in Oct or Nov.

Was planning to spend Fri doing tanks but I took a shift. So Sunday is the next day. Need to toss out the salt water and make new. It's too old.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to start compiling questions lol's. I'm thinking about getting the rock early--Real Reef and Caribsea--and making my "sections so I can then put them in totes/cans to cycle a bit. Then all I have to do is pull out and put in new tank. I figure it will take me a month or 2 just for the rocks. Prob. should start another build thread soon. But it will be a while before I'm going to town on it

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I did it. Started a new build thread for the Dream tank. Will continue to work this one to clear algae as 3 rocks will have to go into the new tank as they have corals I cannot get off.

I am not going to add any more corals unless zoas, rhodactis or other softies. I have some zoas and a rhodactis ready to put on rocks that are thriving on the sand bed. I'm going to mount them to frag rocks so I can just mount them to bigger rock in the new tank but not wasting anymore money on other corals.

Also, think I'll start removing some algae covered rocks (after making sure no crabs!!). Maybe if I can improve flow that will help. There will still be plenty of areas for the fish, but I can remove some rock from each side, esp. as I'm not going to add anymore corals, or glue any more to the existing rocks.

Here is the new build thread.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited the links they gaave me

lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/f66f326999e37be96d1e

lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/f5a718d72bd39cd23461

Not sure what the numbers all mean. My cal when I do it isn't that high!

Planning on taking some rock out. Because there are pods, or maybe pods, I'll put the rock in my observation tank to let the mandarin have at it, then take them out. Maybe. A few rocks are so bad with algae. They will just go into a bucket to be sure no critters on them. then out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change tomorrow. Will pull out some rocks. Will check for pods with flashlight tonight. If lots of pods, rock will go in observation tank for the mandarin in there. Then out and gone.

Trying to get algae controlled so I can pull in those rocks with coral on them into my new system.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back