Susan's Grand Adventure--125 Reef Build

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't have the slowest build ever, I think that distinction would belong to me. I ordered my tank in May of 2015 and no water yet. :) I like the way you have your goals set and make them attainable. I wish I were that organized, but - no. Ha!

Nice looking sump. Everything that I have seen from them up to now has been on the pricier side. I like that it is 3/8" acrylic, since there is no upper rim. You will still have to deal with the sock brackets, which are a bit of a pain. The trays are a lot easier to service. Nice color combination too.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't have the slowest build ever, I think that distinction would belong to me. I ordered my tank in May of 2015 and no water yet. :) I like the way you have your goals set and make them attainable. I wish I were that organized, but - no. Ha!

Nice looking sump. Everything that I have seen from them up to now has been on the pricier side. I like that it is 3/8" acrylic, since there is no upper rim. You will still have to deal with the sock brackets, which are a bit of a pain. The trays are a lot easier to service. Nice color combination too.

@Fin, Nothing wrong taking time to build, how ever long it takes!

@Susan Edwards, nice sump!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still debating using socks or rocks with a powerhead to keep debris suspended for the skimmer. I'm a heavy feeder and seems those will contribute to nitrates, even if changed regularly. I thought 360 for the sump reasonable as most others that I'd consider were in the 4-500 range and to make my own isn't that much cheaper and would take time and not look nearly so nice. I want a really nice setup like broadfield's. Won't be nearly as sharp though.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still debating using socks or rocks with a powerhead to keep debris suspended for the skimmer. I'm a heavy feeder and seems those will contribute to nitrates, even if changed regularly. I thought 360 for the sump reasonable as most others that I'd consider were in the 4-500 range and to make my own isn't that much cheaper and would take time and not look nearly so nice. I want a really nice setup like broadfield's. Won't be nearly as sharp though.
I am not really thrilled about using socks either, so I am going to try to use some "filter media cups" filled with some type of filter media. Something I can just toss, instead of having to clean them. They just sit in the sock holder, instead of socks. Not sure how that will turn out, but that is the plan. Like these... https://www.marinedepot.com/Filter_...Rimer_Machine_Shop_LLC-6V99900-FIFMME-vi.html

Filter-Media-Cup-4-inch-sm.jpg

I think everybody wants a tank like Broadfield. :) He has a unique set of skills, that's for sure. I am sure he has inspired a lot of people to strive for a higher level. I know I have tried to step up my game because of what he has done. Emphasis on the word tried. :)

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come in different colors too. At least red and blue, in addition to white.
BTW, if you do order those cups, I would suggest getting the adapters as well. It is just a plastic ring that slides onto the cup to give it a little wider rim. It is not one size fits all.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold the compressor today so I went and did it. Sump ordererd. Arrives next thursday. Stand arrives Wed. Getting both excited and nervous. Never done plumbing or set up a sump....

@Fin will do. I like the look of those. Because the fuge is smaller than advertised, and the skimmer area is far bigger than what I need for a while, I'm going to add some rock there and that will add to the fuge/filtration. I'll use a powerhead to keep debris from settling and vacuum it out periodically.

Now to get the wall mounted glass cutter on craigslist (used to own a framing shop)and sell that. That might pay for lights...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa, in the guise of a Fed Ex uniform arrived a few days late with my stand <g>. Can we shout yahoo!!! Or Merry Christmas!

The quality looks good. Hubby wasn't so sure of the top pc as it's a thin pc of plywood and said we should add another half inch. The bracing under isn't dovetailed into side pcs but then he noticed that those two bracings line up with the bracing on the bottom of the tank so no glass will be sitting on the stand and should be all right. It's even painted inside so I don't need the paint I bought. Sump arrives either tomorrow or Friday so we'll see how it all fits.

We'll add another pc of plywood to go under sump for added weight distrib. All in all, I'm pleased with the stand. Note the cat paw prints inside already....
20171227_164637.jpg

20171227_164557.jpg
20171227_164535.jpg
20171227_164613.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not really thrilled about using socks either, so I am going to try to use some "filter media cups" filled with some type of filter media. Something I can just toss, instead of having to clean them. They just sit in the sock holder, instead of socks. Not sure how that will turn out, but that is the plan. Like these... https://www.marinedepot.com/Filter_...Rimer_Machine_Shop_LLC-6V99900-FIFMME-vi.html

Filter-Media-Cup-4-inch-sm.jpg

I think everybody wants a tank like Broadfield. :) He has a unique set of skills, that's for sure. I am sure he has inspired a lot of people to strive for a higher level. I know I have tried to step up my game because of what he has done. Emphasis on the word tried. :)
I keep almost buying these myself.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put the sump into the stand. Forgot to take bottom paper off and it was a bit hard to get sump in (had to remove one door and go in from front) so paper is staying! Will be add 3 cross bracings under sump most likely. hubbie afraid bottom not strong enough. Ordered a boot tray to put under sump. At 46 inches, it will hold sump and dosing containers. 2 " deep will catch a lot of water. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOW55M8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Skimmer goes in and out no problem.

Hopefully next weekend, hubby can start building electrical box on one side. Change of plans to put ALL electrical in box away from splashing water.

20180101_181441.jpg
20180101_181448.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the stand box to use as a template for rocks. Hoping to get rock in later this month. Need to decide a few things:
-how much room between rock and glass--sides, back, front 3 inches? More for some in front for larger sand areas unless I just have those on the sides.
-how much room between rock & overflows 2 inches? Won't be scraping overflows. Just brushing?
-How to scape with overflows:
--5" deep, 5 total for cleaning room (3 front glass min., 2 overflow) leaves about 7 inches

Overflows have an inner and outer. Outer allows water to seep in low and mid, rise to top and trickle into main overflow. So do not want to block those vents. I don't think..

Might post for some suggestions on this to the community at large. Those overflows might be a pain.
20180103_174904.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a bit of progress today. Hubby cut the stand divider to separate water and electrical. He's also adding a couple more bracing slats to the bottom (under) of the stand for the sump. He can't finish or screw in the rest of the electrical cabinet parts, except the panel for the far right side until we get plumbing done as he has to cut out for the pipes. So next is to drill the holes in stand for the plumbing, order the dursa stands and get the neoprene so once tank is put on stand, it can stay for the rest of the build time.

Been researching fish and how many. So many different schools of thoughts
So many from group A, B, C
2 in per 10 gal for small to med, 1 in per 10 for large

I'm compiling. Most of what I want are in the 3-4 inch range. Will have to whittle down.

Questions: Assuming I can have either the coral beauty or flame angel, not both. If so, one will go maybe into my other system. Love those two
How many tangs? 1 yellow, 1 Kole? 2 Yellow? 1 yellow, 1 tomini

Sorting them into rock dwellers and open swimmers to get a balance.

Updated pic (haha)on stand. Pups supervising...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here is my wish list. Yes, before I'm jumped, I need to par down. A lot. Some questions which will help:
Can I have just 1 of each Wrasse? Or do they need to be in groups.
Can I have just one Anthia or do they need groups of 3

I'm trying to balance the rock-sand dwellers from column swimmers. I'm not sure if I'll follow the add 2 units from group A, 1 from Group B, 1 from Group C (counts as 2 units) or the 2" per 10 gal for sm-md, 1" per 10 gal large

1 Blenny bi color
1 blenny lawn Mower
1 Royal Gramma ??
1 Flame Hawk
1 Goby/shrimp pair
1 Goby spike fin
3-5 Barnacle Blenny--very small, rock dwellers, not much bio load

1 Angel Flame or 1 Coral Beauty. Assume I cannot have one of ea.
1-3 Wrasse-Lubbocks
1-3 Wrasse-Whip Fin or Wrasse orange/black
1-3Anthia Cariberryi
1-3 Anthia Bartletts
3-5 Chromis Lemon and or
3-5 Chromis Agile
Kole or Yellow or Tomini Tang--Can I have 2?

Going to also post to forum for those who don't visit build threads

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol's @don_chuwish I'm waiting until we're done shifting things to protect it. I did forget the paper on the bottom though. My hubby will have to tip stand over one more time onto its back to add a couple more bracing slats. I'll remember to get the paper off the bottom! And then the rest. Don't worry, it's not going to stay there <g>

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More whittling of fish wish list. I'm going to use the ABC method and stock slow. With my sump, I figure, depending on final rock/sand volume to have approx 140 gal. Maybe a tad less or more. So per that method, it gives me 14 units of fish
Each group A (Rock Dwellers) is 1 unit per 2 of Group A
Each group B (open swimmers) is 1 unit each
Each group C is 2 units apiece.

Group A 2 Units
Goby spike fin
Goby Gold Head Sand Sifter
Royal Gramma
Blenny bi color or another blenny

Group B 12 Units
1 Angel Flame or Coral Beauty -- on fence. More research
3 Anthia Cariberryi
3 Anthia Bartletts or different Anthias that stay around 3"
3-5 Chromis Lemon Add early, add more, will prob. end up with 2-3

Group C 2-4 -6Units
Kole or Yellow or Tomini 2-3 tangs.

Total at highest 18-20 units (depending on # tangs). Need down to 14
No Angel, only 3 chromis gives me 16. 2 tangs gives me 14
Plan to take time stocking so some fish may or may not make it

I think this list gives me movement and color in all areas of tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back