Susan's Grand Adventure--125 Reef Build

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
final rock scape. Hubby wanted center rock...centered.... Came home and asked where the rest of the rock was.... Told him that is full enough. Used all but 2 pcs plus the shelf pcs I got. Will add some live rock in but might have to trade rocks as it is pretty tall already

biospira came today. Sand tomorrow. Making tons of water starting today

20180206_182440.jpg
Nice job Susan!

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t have a build thread. I had started my tank over a year ago and hadn’t discovered R2R until about 6 months ago. But I read on the forums as a guest for a while before I joined.

I’m waiting until I buy a house in a couple of years to finally buy a nice big tank. Until then, I’ll have to live vicariously through you all that are upgrading and such!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Samina you don't have to start at the beginning to have a build thread. Just start one and then post some history like when you started. I view mine almost like a journal. I just spew my thoughts to the world at large ;Smuggrin. Builds are places to just talk about your tank, whatever stage you are at and share you love of reefing with those who visit.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is definitely cycling. No ammonia. Will add more to bump it up again once the other number come down!

ordered lights today from marine depot. They have a 15% off one item (highest you order) with code president. Could not pass up to save on my lights even though those were budgeted for next month. Saved 73 bucks which almost pays for 2 brackets (need the xtra wide ones). I've ordered 4 of those for extra support and to make it look nice. If I don't need, can return one (amazon). Lights are: https://www.marinedepot.com/Current...-Current_USA-CU04226-FILTFILD-CU04228-vi.html

Very excited. All that's left is to get 1 more eflux pump (controlled by this lighting system), a spare return pump (jebao), and doser. No rush on those. I think I'll use my daughter's tunze ato that came iwth her tank and buy another ato for her tank or just add manually. No rush there either. March will buy the first batch of fish for the qt tank. By may, should have some fish in.

Current-USA-Orbit-Marine-IC-PRO-LED-Light-Fixture-72-inch-99.jpg

20180216_115645.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress today. Got most of the electrical done. Had everything unplugged for a couple hours. Hope it didn't kill good bacteria....

Ran the wiring channel along top of right side of cabinet for cords in that area. hubby attached the "wall" to separate wet and dry sides. Mounted 1 power strip and routed more channels on either side for controller wire and plugs. Looks neat and professional. Next weekend (promised him a day for his gardening tomorrow) we'll mount the controls for the eflux wavemakers and the lighting controller which won't be here until Tue. Ordered more of that wire channel as well. We'll had another piece of board across back but not all the way up as the plumbing is in the way--a nice 3/4 back wall. Channel will go there for additional stuff in sump area being routed to right side of stand. Also going to mount another power strip, this one with rotating plugs for power bricks and for future needs.

Very pleased. Still have 1 noisy durso, and 1 that I wish had more flow Not bad enough that we can't live with it but will continue trying to adjust. Also received the light brackets today. Was worried they wouldn't work for my tank--rimmed. had to get the extra wide ones. Ordered 4 but I think 3 will more than do it so will send one back. Lights arrive Tuesday. Won't be using them except maybe an hour or 2 in the evening just to play or see my tank. Don't want algae before my time!

Wasn't going to order them until March but Marine depot had a 15% off any one item so that saved 73 bucks! Had to order now.

Tomorrow is tank maintenance in other tank. Waiting for part for the 45 gal coral qt tank. By end of next weekend, all should be up and going and maybe tank cycled to add the goby and damsel. Need to dose more ammonia and see how fast it falls to zero. Not sure if I need for nitrites to come down first though

amm: 0
Nitrite: still at 5
Nitrate: up to 20

Right side of stand. Hubby going to replace the small piece at the bottom with a slightly bigger piece to go all the way from one channel to the other without a gap
20180218_170321.jpg

Left side above sump. Cord you can see will be added into channel when we mount the controller and plugs on right side of stand next weekend. Manifold not complete yet. 3 more balls.
Egg crate cover for fuge section. Need to add light
20180218_170346.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, a trick for anyone using this wire slot stuff--It's next to impossible to snap a long length of it together so my hubby cut each section into 10 inch lengths or there abouts (the top piece). If you can slide it closed, it's great, but snapping and getting all the fingers inside, not so much

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second side of electrical cabinet started. have to wait for next weekend now but everything planned out. Gonna look so neat and awesome in there! And be totally safe as can be from saltwater spray

Lights arrive tomorrow. So dang excited...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let there be.....

LIGHTS!!!!!
20180220_162330.jpg
20180220_162731 (1).jpg

Now I have to figure out how to use them and find out whether they should be lower. Will prob. add a couple pcs of liverock to the left side from a tank I'll be taking down. Plan to ask on the forums

Have tons of flow. Might not need a 3rd eflux unless it is to go behind one of the rock islands. Have 3 in there now. 2 efluxs only at 40-50 % power.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hubby is not a fan of the shimmer.... Anyone know how to reduce it? Cut back on flow? He may just have to learn to deal...

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not here. I have it on another website, and our local reefer club. I’ve thought about starting one here, but haven’t decided yet.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoopee!!! Electrical side of cabinet is now officially finished! In fact everything is now done except 2 things:
Finishing the manifold
Adding a shelf along back for the doser which I don't need yet.

My hubby did a great job routing wires and attaching everything. To avoid holes in stand sides, we cut plywood, painted it and attached those. Everything is mounted to the thicker wood. anything that needed to be double-stick taped, had a plastic (forget what it is called) sheet cut and screwed to the wood so it's easy to pull off and remove sticky. Loop controller is on a hinge and he drilled a small hole for the sensor for the controller if I don't need to see what what I'm doing (hitting a weather pattern or lights on or off). Very pleased. Now for some fish and corals!

looking inside right side of stand. Back wall is hinged on either side as it is open top and bottom for cord and plumbing access

20180225_171407.jpg

looking in with controller swung out and back wall

Left side

20180225_171524.jpg

back. doser pump shelf and extra power strip for future
Right side. Gray hub for lights is behind the controller. On same plate as the blue hub. controller flat against side wall
20180225_171538.jpg

20180225_171528.jpg

20180225_171623.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back