OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I did understand the configuration. You might be fine with the Adaptive Reef panels just mounted on the wall without any kind of cover. The Neptune gear has been fairly resilient; I managed to thoroughly douse all my Neptune gear (including both EB832 power bars) in saltwater with no ill effects (don't ask how I managed to achieve this).

The only thing I can suggest is to place some plastic outlet covers in any exposed/open EB832 ports. Fish love to splash (even with the cover).
ah, okay. Good idea of outlet covers. I figure this is a process and a journey, including all this set up. Big difference on what I had/needed on the 125 and this tank lol's.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Susan,
man I had a lot of pages to read to be upto date. so i just skimmed it all haha

anyway your tank is looking great. I am loosely thinking of the same tank for a FOWLR system it's on the smaller size of what i would want tho. oh and them come the challenge of convincing the other half we need another large tank.lol

anyway now that you have had the xxl 900 for some time what are your over all impressions of the system?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Susan,
man I had a lot of pages to read to be upto date. so i just skimmed it all haha

anyway your tank is looking great. I am loosely thinking of the same tank for a FOWLR system it's on the smaller size of what i would want tho. oh and them come the challenge of convincing the other half we need another large tank.lol

anyway now that you have had the xxl 900 for some time what are your over all impressions of the system?
Hey thanks for catching up lol's. I am rather chatty haha. I love the tank. No regrets at all. Things I might consider if I knew then what I know now is taking consideration of my shortness and the tanks big-ness! I have places where if a coral falls, it is just lost forever as I can't reach the very back! I prob. wouldn't not get this tank though as I wanted a wider tank and a longer one. I also might have gone just a tad shorter as it is in a 10x10 room. The control panel cupboards were going to add just won't work!! Blocks access to back of tank and the sides. But I don't regret it in my office as this is where I am most of the time

Getting the flow for the second sump is also a challenge but again, I'll work thru it.

So basically, I love it.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so any one who followed my last 125 build knows my "clown Fish fisasco" in 2020. How I had 3 clowns. 1 disappeared. Found it 2 months later in the overflow. Couldn't get it out--short arms!! At 6 months of being trapped, I was replacing all m y sand, so started adding sand to raise the level up to get him. tossed him in my 45g AIO. Bought a pal for him.

Well, said clown disappeared. Again. Not in overflow. Not on floor, no body. Several days later, guess what? The little "sweetie" (not) is in the overflow, under the return pump. Took it out today and rescued the dang fish. Again! Mind you, I have a mesh lid. Don't ask...

I'm ready to get rid of all clowns and those staghorn damsels. I'll be adding my fish trap and at this point, will get rid of them all!!! Except I can't put the clowns from the main display in the 45.... Ugh!!! +

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry Susan ,i laughed... :) do remember.
not fun ,but funny...;)

did you get a chance to go get the slimer frags from 90's reefer yet ?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Susan ,i laughed... :) do remember.
not fun ,but funny...;)

did you get a chance to go get the slimer frags from 90's reefer yet ?
for shame!! But yeah, trust that it would happen to me not once but twice with the same dam* fish lol's. No, haven't been north yet. Probably end of April or May at this point.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Been so busy with work! Even a half day sometimes just kills the rest of the day!

Had a couple stupid Apex issues--My fault of course
1- changed trident #A and calibrated. Put on manual to test to see the new calibrated numbers. Looks pretty spot on. Testing next. But I forgot to take off manual! Dumb...

2-I had a heater controller fail, so I unplugged the 2nd heater with controller from the apex and put the solitary heater with no controller into the apex. I had the tile set to "on" which due to the heater having its own controller wasn't an issue. But now, the tank temp got too high--mostly the sump as I caught it. Set to auto! Will watch the temps close for the next few days. Sump has cooled back down.

3-still can't get the atk/ato working . Will try removing it and reinstalling it.

I have a free Sat end of the month so hubby and I will try to get our cords done and the control panels up on the wall. Need to test the 2nd energy bar.

Fish doing well. Diamond Goby chases the new DG. The new one is still skinny but does come out to sift sand. Need to trap the DD's. Corals seem okay. Some slowed growth. Losing the Alveopora. Brown stuff on it. Cephastrea lost the green color. Just some orange. Brown. Might need to see about using cipro in tank maybe.

Also debating fluconazle for algae. But that means a water change after. Tank is still new--5 months, even though it is an upgrade so not sure if I need to just wait it out or deal with it. Using MB 7 1-2 times a week. Need to go read forum on vibrant as I was using that as well.

current numbers:
apex manual
alk 8.78 8.5
CA 437 last salifert was close to apex
Mg 1567 Not manual testing until it comes down to 1400's. Dosing 5 ml, lowest I can dose. Might stop but don't want the lines to clog. Could just use a glass of water for the 5ml
No3 14
PO4 .11
Those numbers are prob. okay. Could add some phosguard to get back to .05-.08. Will test again tomorrow or next day to see where I am at.

Also looking into doing my own phyto and pods. Spending 42 on phyto and 50-60 on pods. 400 bucks and I can set up 2 phyto and 2 pods with the poseidon system

So aside from algae, and apex issues, all is still going well. Have some corals on the sand I need to place. not sure the chalice is happy or the rainbow pectinia. Chalice is a third from bottom, left side out of sight. Pectinia right side bottom. Moved a couple others that were not thriving and one knocked down. Just dread it as the DD's attack when my arm is in tank!

20220313_211045.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, got the inserts for the clearview lids. NOt happy with them as they sit on the mesh and I am afraid that will stretch out the mesh. Need to contact them. Hubby might see if he can find a way to keep them off the mesh in the centers.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ordering reef flux as the algae is not going away and it is now encroaching on some of my corals. Also, I think some of it is acting like an algae scrubber with the flow (zoa rock) and even though my numbers are good, it might not be right. Should help clean out the hose to my uv as well I hope. So off to read what I need to do.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to dose reef flux, it's 1 capsule per 10 gal? So approx 220 gal I need 22 pills? Turn skimmer off 3 days. How long for the UV? And take all carbon/purigen/gfo out? Read that gfo is okay (like rowaphos?)

Should I add airstones? I can point returns more at the surface. Down about 1/2 inch or so.

When I do a water change I'll do like 10 gallons a day so I don't have to turn off my return pumps (so hard to get them and the overflow set right after they've been off.

Any suggestions welcome.

oh, can I still use MB 7 and debating using some other bottle bacteria after I dose to help with die off

Also, have brown jelly disease. What can I dose for this. Lost my hammer and torch. Alveopora almost gone and I think my duncan is succumbing.

Jackal799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to the store in Modesto and no, they didn't have much there. Would love to check out the Stockton store. let me know when you have time and maybe we can meet there? And have lunch after.

Glad the goby appeared. :) and the Kole tang has settled down. My new leopard wrasse wasn't fazed by my yellow tang at all. They seem to be pretty good friends and swim around together a lot. My clowns stay in one little spot up in the corner which is a bummer. I'd like to see them swimming about more. I'll be getting a trio of Randall's Anthias at the end of the month..:)

Recalibrated my PH probe and found out my PH was much better than I thought :)
Just started following the thread and figured I’d chime in. I live in Ripon and am on the hunt for someone local that sells decent corals. Tropical Haven is gross but they do have some cheap fish from time to time. Unfortunately the owner Ted really needs to get some overhaul in that fish room but I fear they just don’t have the energy to revive it. Randy’s in Stockton occasionally get some cool coral. Twins in Stockton has a lot of coral but his tanks are so pest ridden I’d be careful. However, I love John the owner. Super nice guy. If you are really selective you can find some good deals there. He doesn’t get any SPS in though. If you find a local reefer selling frags lemme know! Oh and if you have time, aqualife in Rocklin is worth the drive. Killer corals and the most beautiful Discus in California.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started following the thread and figured I’d chime in. I live in Ripon and am on the hunt for someone local that sells decent corals. Tropical Haven is gross but they do have some cheap fish from time to time. Unfortunately the owner Ted really needs to get some overhaul in that fish room but I fear they just don’t have the energy to revive it. Randy’s in Stockton occasionally get some cool coral. Twins in Stockton has a lot of coral but his tanks are so pest ridden I’d be careful. However, I love John the owner. Super nice guy. If you are really selective you can find some good deals there. He doesn’t get any SPS in though. If you find a local reefer selling frags lemme know! Oh and if you have time, aqualife in Rocklin is worth the drive. Killer corals and the most beautiful Discus in California.
Agree on your take on the stores. And I have been to aqualife. My dau and s-i-l live in granite bay so I occassionally go there. Nice to have a reefer close by! Do you have a build thread? What kind of tank etc.

Jackal799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on your take on the stores. And I have been to aqualife. My dau and s-i-l live in granite bay so I occassionally go there. Nice to have a reefer close by! Do you have a build thread? What kind of tank etc.
I need to get a build thread up and going. My current tank is an 80 gallon cube lit by a reef breeders photon. I went really slow with this tank and it just hit the year mark. Added some easy sps a few months back and now it’s time to jam pack it! Dosing all for reef and I’m loving it. We’ll see how it keeps up with the demand. This is my first sps tank and I’m trying to keep it simple. Just beat Dino’s after tanking my nutrients (stupid mistake). I’ll do a build thread once I get my battlebox in a few weeks. I was gonna drive up to aqualife and go full ham on some corals but with gas prices in my truck it’ll probably even out with shipping lol. I work at memorial and I gotta get a fellow nurse to post his. Think one of his systems is 300 gallons and the other is 180. Super cool.Unfortunately for us, the hobby is slim out here. Loving your set up!

Jackal799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ordering reef flux as the algae is not going away and it is now encroaching on some of my corals. Also, I think some of it is acting like an algae scrubber with the flow (zoa rock) and even though my numbers are good, it might not be right. Should help clean out the hose to my uv as well I hope. So off to read what I need to do
So, to dose reef flux, it's 1 capsule per 10 gal? So approx 220 gal I need 22 pills? Turn skimmer off 3 days. How long for the UV? And take all carbon/purigen/gfo out? Read that gfo is okay (like rowaphos?)

Should I add airstones? I can point returns more at the surface. Down about 1/2 inch or so.

When I do a water change I'll do like 10 gallons a day so I don't have to turn off my return pumps (so hard to get them and the overflow set right after they've been off.

Any suggestions welcome.

oh, can I still use MB 7 and debating using some other bottle bacteria after I dose to help with die off

Also, have brown jelly disease. What can I dose for this. Lost my hammer and torch. Alveopora almost gone and I think my duncan is succumbing.
Update: Been so busy with work! Even a half day sometimes just kills the rest of the day!

Had a couple stupid Apex issues--My fault of course
1- changed trident #A and calibrated. Put on manual to test to see the new calibrated numbers. Looks pretty spot on. Testing next. But I forgot to take off manual! Dumb...

2-I had a heater controller fail, so I unplugged the 2nd heater with controller from the apex and put the solitary heater with no controller into the apex. I had the tile set to "on" which due to the heater having its own controller wasn't an issue. But now, the tank temp got too high--mostly the sump as I caught it. Set to auto! Will watch the temps close for the next few days. Sump has cooled back down.

3-still can't get the atk/ato working . Will try removing it and reinstalling it.

I have a free Sat end of the month so hubby and I will try to get our cords done and the control panels up on the wall. Need to test the 2nd energy bar.

Fish doing well. Diamond Goby chases the new DG. The new one is still skinny but does come out to sift sand. Need to trap the DD's. Corals seem okay. Some slowed growth. Losing the Alveopora. Brown stuff on it. Cephastrea lost the green color. Just some orange. Brown. Might need to see about using cipro in tank maybe.

Also debating fluconazle for algae. But that means a water change after. Tank is still new--5 months, even though it is an upgrade so not sure if I need to just wait it out or deal with it. Using MB 7 1-2 times a week. Need to go read forum on vibrant as I was using that as well.

current numbers:
apex manual
alk 8.78 8.5
CA 437 last salifert was close to apex
Mg 1567 Not manual testing until it comes down to 1400's. Dosing 5 ml, lowest I can dose. Might stop but don't want the lines to clog. Could just use a glass of water for the 5ml
No3 14
PO4 .11
Those numbers are prob. okay. Could add some phosguard to get back to .05-.08. Will test again tomorrow or next day to see where I am at.

Also looking into doing my own phyto and pods. Spending 42 on phyto and 50-60 on pods. 400 bucks and I can set up 2 phyto and 2 pods with the poseidon system

So aside from algae, and apex issues, all is still going well. Have some corals on the sand I need to place. not sure the chalice is happy or the rainbow pectinia. Chalice is a third from bottom, left side out of sight. Pectinia right side bottom. Moved a couple others that were not thriving and one knocked down. Just dread it as the DD's attack when my arm is in tank!

20220313_211045.jpg
I’d ditch vibrant after the shady marketing they got caught up with (huge forum post). If you are having problems with algae you could approach it using a bigger clean up crew, outcompeting it with a combination of mb7 and and algae turf scrubber, or add some more biodiversity through live rock (kp aquatics). However, I’ve found using chemicals for algaes will set you back in that they often create other problems in the form of wiping out competing organisms. Super frustrating though cuz you have a beautiful tank and those pesky issues will keep ya up at night lol. I DIY’d and ATS and it was extremely effective but you gotta watch your nutrients with em. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get a build thread up and going. My current tank is an 80 gallon cube lit by a reef breeders photon. I went really slow with this tank and it just hit the year mark. Added some easy sps a few months back and now it’s time to jam pack it! Dosing all for reef and I’m loving it. We’ll see how it keeps up with the demand. This is my first sps tank and I’m trying to keep it simple. Just beat Dino’s after tanking my nutrients (stupid mistake). I’ll do a build thread once I get my battlebox in a few weeks. I was gonna drive up to aqualife and go full ham on some corals but with gas prices in my truck it’ll probably even out with shipping lol. I work at memorial and I gotta get a fellow nurse to post his. Think one of his systems is 300 gallons and the other is 180. Super cool.Unfortunately for us, the hobby is slim out here. Loving your set up!
You can share a pic here! Would be nice to get together with some other reefers! @Sgchick is about 1.5 hrs from Tracy. You're only 20 min or so. My son in law has a 500 gal sys. Not including his separate qt tanks.

I've battled the low nutrients which is why the algae caught me by surprise!

2 things to get my tank back to perfection (haha)
-Rid the algae
-Rid the DD's (dang damsels.) Got bit lots today grrrrr

picture this song in my head: (The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round
The door to the trap goes clang clang clang...

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!! It would be fun to get our own little reef gang going. I also have 2 reefer friends in Modesto that have helped me a LOT (haha) and have both been to my house. Would love to get together and talk about our tanks, etc.

I'm battling some low nutrients as well and having some cyano...hope as I get more fish it will all balance out. I have to keep reminding myself that my tank isn't quite 3 months old. Good luck with the DD's Susan! Let's get together soon for lunch!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!! It would be fun to get our own little reef gang going. I also have 2 reefer friends in Modesto that have helped me a LOT (haha) and have both been to my house. Would love to get together and talk about our tanks, etc.

I'm battling some low nutrients as well and having some cyano...hope as I get more fish it will all balance out. I have to keep reminding myself that my tank isn't quite 3 months old. Good luck with the DD's Susan! Let's get together soon for lunch!!
Def. lunch!!! Want a couple of DD's? Hahaha

Dosed the reef flux last night. Hate having the uv and skimmer off! Going to have to test almost daily. Might put skimmer back on tonight for the oxygen and just let it drain into a filter sock if it goes crazy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back