Susan's RS Reefer 3xl 900 Fantasy-Dream Build

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about putting a powerhead in that first chamber as that is where I am dosing right now as well. I'll add the dosing of the Trace colors to the return area. i think the reactor helps push flow from the 2nd chamber to the 2nd sump as the water returns right in front of the tube.

What do you think about making the 2nd sump just 1 sump. Refuge still in back. Without that baffle, I can prob. get some much better flow with a powerhead at the entrance pointing at an angle toward the side wall-like middle of side wall.

I've upped my lights now to 85/30 and notice the elegance on the bottom is showing more tentacles and with the pink tips again. It has receded a bit, leaving the right side with no coral. I'm hoping it will expand again. I think it is happier. I have a "dead" lobo that still had a tad of color. It even looks like it might make a comeback. Looks like there is flesh in there. I also have a pectinia--space invader that is showing brighter green and some yellow again. And that plate coral is just huge with tentacles an inch long now. Wonder if it is a long tentacle. Will post another video. My tenius is also got great pe. Even the birds nest, a stylophora and digitata on the sand bed all have pe. Will take lights to 90/40. Then need to decide if I should go to 100/50 before new corals arrive next week or wait a week or so after they are here to go the full 20k. Also on lights I was doing a 3 hr ramp and now doing 2 and I think that makes a difference. Likeing the more white look to the tank

Parameters are all good numbers this morning. 8.87/461/1459. Will do no3 and po4 after work or tomorrow. Got my phos regents yesterday and of course po4 was 0. So more neophos and coral food tossed in

Some pics (killing time before work lol's)

Lights without filter 90/40
20220713_112257.jpg

Lights with yellow/orange filter. This is closer to what i see
20220713_112315.jpg

Lobo with some flesh showing

20220713_112431.jpg

Plate
20220713_112443.jpg

elegance looking better. iwth pink tips
20220713_112452.jpg

pectia-not a good pic...
20220713_112512.jpg

One of my prides. A plain ol tenius with great PE
20220713_112652.jpg
The I can only get flow in the sump extension if I have a power head in it pointed through the extension hole,if you get flow through the second sump a different way lmk

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The I can only get flow in the sump extension if I have a power head in it pointed through the extension hole,if you get flow through the second sump a different way lmk
Will do. I think if I remove that divider I can direct flow from the entry point and have it flow around to the exit. I'm also hoping that having the UV pump on the other side of the exit will help draw water into the skimmer chamber. I'm hopeful. I've had times where that 2nd chamber--the back--has had a horrid scum on the surface. The powerhead seems to alleviate that issue at least

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tank work today.

Main Tank: Harvested chaeto and ulva. Switched bigger basket for a more narrow and long basket for the ulva. Probably need to remove more chaeto as it is still pretty big. Might need another powerhead inside that 2nd sump or a 2nd one down low in first section aimed at the lower flow thru to that 2nd sump. My only complaint with this tank is the lack of good flow in the 2nd sump. Took time off end of the month weekend to get hubby to help me move the UV pump and mount 2nd doser and new dosing bottles.

Anyone want some chaeto? Seriously....

Tank 2:
I have a very neglected RS E170 AIO--43 gal. The idea was to use for observation but it was so bad, I just put the fish in my display. It houses 1 clown because I can put him with the other 2 I have. The 2nd smaller one I got somehow escaped thru a 1/4" gap! I'd like to put an anemone in there and get a 2nd clown. Maybe another damsel or 2. Small and not mean...Could still toss new fish in. I have a small rock with some gsp on it in there. Scrapped the glass and tested.

Am shocked that it is as good as it is.
ca 450
mg 1250
alk 7.9
NO3 160-no surprise. Need a big water change. Ugh
No po4 test. When the no3 is down, then I'll test. Hanna is expensive! And I'm testing every other day or so in the big tank still.

I don't dose (though I do have a spare doser). I just dump some in every once in a while, but as I want to make better use of this tank, I'll start getting it in balance. I'll start with some nopox and some zero and bio. Also weekly mb7 and mbclean.

Also put my harvested macro algae in baskets in the display of the AIO. No sump so I'll see if they survive with regular tank lights at 12 hrs.

I also have a bunch of frags on my sandbed of the big tank. Birds nest and digitata. If I get no3 down, I can put them in the 43g until I figure out what to do with them.

going to do an icp test to see how my big tank is doing. Prob. get the RS test kit for the trace colors. I hate the test kits I have for iron, potassium and iodide

Still need to scrape the right side. Have black fabric there to block sun from window
20220712_192624.jpg
20220712_192656.jpg

One lonely pc of gsp. When it over takes the small rubble rock, I'll put it on its own larger rock!
20220712_192725.jpg
Sorry if i missed it in the thread but where did you get the baskets?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a companion for Dave?
Not yet. I want to get a black cuc. I might see if oceans garden has black. there is a pic, showing a black among other colors. When I order from them next I will ask! Dave needs some competition. Or a pal to spur him on. Or show him how its done lol's

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if i missed it in the thread but where did you get the baskets?
Just off amazon. Seem to work. I like that they aren't as wide. Might try gluing strips of pool noodle around them to float them.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just off amazon. Seem to work. I like that they aren't as wide. Might try gluing strips of pool noodle around them to float them.

Awesome thanks!! Glad to see the tank is doing so great! Congrats!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. I want to get a black cuc. I might see if oceans garden has black. there is a pic, showing a black among other colors. When I order from them next I will ask! Dave needs some competition. Or a pal to spur him on. Or show him how its done lol's
The black ones are super personable. All five were in full view today! Did you know sea cucumbers can live for up to 8 years?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black ones are super personable. All five were in full view today! Did you know sea cucumbers can live for up to 8 years?
is it a certain type of black sea cucumber or just a black sea cucumber
Here is what oceans garden has

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
/Good tank day. Worked on untangling cords on left side. Had to be brave and unplug things in order to tame the mess! Left side is where the main outlets for the tank are. Labeled some of them that were not labeled and zip tied what I could after getting all the cords free. Only one I could not do was the apex link cable going from the E832 to the other energy bar--I think. Reason is there isn't enough wall space to put my face there to see how it lines up to plug back in lol's. Had to use a mirror initially. Now I need to hide the wires coming down the wall to the plug or going behind tank. Thinking just a pretty piece of fabric thumbtacked to the wall to hide. Or a spring rod curtain set up going from wall to tank cabinet. Probably that. Right side not nearly such a mess.

Lesson learned here: Should I ever, ever be crazy enough to set up another tank, all equipment, plugs, wires, etc. will be run, organized and hooked up first! This has been a 9 mo nightmare lol's.

New batch of CUC arrived. Fuzzy chitons won't make it. Hoping I get a refund. They weren't attached to their shells and wouldn't attach to the rocks so the hermits have been after them. Waiting to see if the 5 prickly ceriths are alive and 2 more Mexican Turbos. The surviving pitho crabs are funny (1 doa). Put first one in near clown territory and they faced off. Crab doing funny aggressive moves. Then piled sand on its head. The second one did same. Hiding near Dave. Both sort of burrowed in. Hope at lights out they get moving. I have at least 5-7 emeralds so with these guys, and the turbos, I hope to see progress on algae. I even took the time to place just about every snail where I wanted it, including 15 more bumble bees.

I also admit to liking the new lighting schedule. Up to 90/40 now. Still have to decide if I should go 100/50 before my new corals arrive or wait until after.

Better. Will zip tie the left side to main bundle but the clips are sticking so didn't pull them off.
20220714_195447.jpg

pitho crab
20220714_132924.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Great build journal : )
Thank you! I talk alot lol's. I really appreciate having a place to come where I can just prattle on and knowing that others completely understand. My non-reefer friends tend to get cross-eyed very fast with tank talk! lol's

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I have got to get these damsels out! They are getting meaner. Instead of a quick bite and run, 1 of them goes at my hand like a jack hammer!!! Lucky they don't draw blood... Unlike my clowns....

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
/Good tank day. Worked on untangling cords on left side. Had to be brave and unplug things in order to tame the mess! Left side is where the main outlets for the tank are. Labeled some of them that were not labeled and zip tied what I could after getting all the cords free. Only one I could not do was the apex link cable going from the E832 to the other energy bar--I think. Reason is there isn't enough wall space to put my face there to see how it lines up to plug back in lol's. Had to use a mirror initially. Now I need to hide the wires coming down the wall to the plug or going behind tank. Thinking just a pretty piece of fabric thumbtacked to the wall to hide. Or a spring rod curtain set up going from wall to tank cabinet. Probably that. Right side not nearly such a mess.

Lesson learned here: Should I ever, ever be crazy enough to set up another tank, all equipment, plugs, wires, etc. will be run, organized and hooked up first! This has been a 9 mo nightmare lol's.

New batch of CUC arrived. Fuzzy chitons won't make it. Hoping I get a refund. They weren't attached to their shells and wouldn't attach to the rocks so the hermits have been after them. Waiting to see if the 5 prickly ceriths are alive and 2 more Mexican Turbos. The surviving pitho crabs are funny (1 doa). Put first one in near clown territory and they faced off. Crab doing funny aggressive moves. Then piled sand on its head. The second one did same. Hiding near Dave. Both sort of burrowed in. Hope at lights out they get moving. I have at least 5-7 emeralds so with these guys, and the turbos, I hope to see progress on algae. I even took the time to place just about every snail where I wanted it, including 15 more bumble bees.

I also admit to liking the new lighting schedule. Up to 90/40 now. Still have to decide if I should go 100/50 before my new corals arrive or wait until after.

Better. Will zip tie the left side to main bundle but the clips are sticking so didn't pull them off.
20220714_195447.jpg

pitho crab
20220714_132924.jpg

I SOOOOOO feel you on the wiring nightmare!!

I got my new 135 finally mostly running today. Meaning, I got the sump online and the lights all mounted. I have a total rats nest of mixed up criss-crossed wires that I need to deal with. I STILL have to wonder WHY equipment manufacturers either give you 40 extra feet of wire or 1 foot too short. I am just disgusted with the extra extension cords I need for some of my wavemakers.

In the morning, I plan to run to my favorite LFS and hopefully get a new background sheet. I went to 4 different stores today and none of them have the plain blue/black backgrounds in stock.

I did make a cool discovery today! The Petco in Turlock has a small SW section! Picked up a pair of sand sifting starfish while I was there. First big-box store I have seen anywhere nearby that has SW!!!

They had a couple nice pincushion urchins in stock. I should have grabbed one while I was there... I may stop back on my way home from Modesto and pick one of them up.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I SOOOOOO feel you on the wiring nightmare!!

I got my new 135 finally mostly running today. Meaning, I got the sump online and the lights all mounted. I have a total rats nest of mixed up criss-crossed wires that I need to deal with. I STILL have to wonder WHY equipment manufacturers either give you 40 extra feet of wire or 1 foot too short. I am just disgusted with the extra extension cords I need for some of my wavemakers.

In the morning, I plan to run to my favorite LFS and hopefully get a new background sheet. I went to 4 different stores today and none of them have the plain blue/black backgrounds in stock.

I did make a cool discovery today! The Petco in Turlock has a small SW section! Picked up a pair of sand sifting starfish while I was there. First big-box store I have seen anywhere nearby that has SW!!!

They had a couple nice pincushion urchins in stock. I should have grabbed one while I was there... I may stop back on my way home from Modesto and pick one of them up.
Hey, my neck of the woods. Well, sorta. You are quite a bit south. Not sure mile wise. I'm in tracy!! About 30 miles from Modesto. I'll have to check out Turlock. Going to vegas next month so maybe on way home! I have to go clear to either Hayward or San jose (Neptune) for a fish store

I agree on wire--too much or too short. The mp40's for the price should have longer cords from motor side to controller. I have 3-4 3' extension cords because stuff won't go from controller board to the sump--like my heaters! I have a couple behind tank I need to pull out and wrap with electrical tape--they are close to the edge.

Where do you go for fish, corals locally? And cool on your progress!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my neck of the woods. Well, sorta. You are quite a bit south. Not sure mile wise. I'm in tracy!! About 30 miles from Modesto. I'll have to check out Turlock. Going to vegas next month so maybe on way home! I have to go clear to either Hayward or San jose (Neptune) for a fish store

I agree on wire--too much or too short. The mp40's for the price should have longer cords from motor side to controller. I have 3-4 3' extension cords because stuff won't go from controller board to the sump--like my heaters! I have a couple behind tank I need to pull out and wrap with electrical tape--they are close to the edge.

Where do you go for fish, corals locally? And cool on your progress!

I work in Tracy (Safeway DC). Its 73 miles each way. Unfortunately, I start at 1430 and get off at 0300 so a drop by is probably out of the question.. lol

I get most of my stuff from Tropical Haven in Modesto. Its about 45 miles north, but they have a good stock, staff, and prices. SW stock is hit and miss, but Ted, the owner is always willing to work with you to get what you want.

I stayed up super late last night (My Friday) working on the tank so by the time I woke up and got started it was already too late to go to TH to get the background sheet I need. Tried Petco and WalMart in Atwater, but no luck, then Pet Supplies Plus in Turlock, no luck. The Petco In Turlock is right across the street from PSP, but they also didn't have the background sheet I need.

If you do take a run to Tropical Haven, This is where I get the majority of my frozen foods. They sell the same blister packs that the big box store do for half the price AND they have a HUGE selection!! It is worth the drive JUST for the food!!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in Tracy (Safeway DC). Its 73 miles each way. Unfortunately, I start at 1430 and get off at 0300 so a drop by is probably out of the question.. lol

I get most of my stuff from Tropical Haven in Modesto. Its about 45 miles north, but they have a good stock, staff, and prices. SW stock is hit and miss, but Ted, the owner is always willing to work with you to get what you want.

I stayed up super late last night (My Friday) working on the tank so by the time I woke up and got started it was already too late to go to TH to get the background sheet I need. Tried Petco and WalMart in Atwater, but no luck, then Pet Supplies Plus in Turlock, no luck. The Petco In Turlock is right across the street from PSP, but they also didn't have the background sheet I need.

If you do take a run to Tropical Haven, This is where I get the majority of my frozen foods. They sell the same blister packs that the big box store do for half the price AND they have a HUGE selection!! It is worth the drive JUST for the food!!!
Weren't you the one I gave my hugemongous toadstool too? The one I had in my 125?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back