OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, tank is now 11 months! Will get a video tomorrow after I clean the glass haha. Not looking too bad at all. Very pleased overall.

Things I wish I had not done:
--Put the danged damsels in thinking I needed more fish in there. Should have taken them to the lfs at that point!!!!

Things I wish I had done:
--gotten the control panel and everything set up at the start. But some of that I needed hubby for and tank in to see what I needed.

Things I still need to do:
--Move UV pump to main sump (need hubby for that)
--put led strip lights on ceiling of sump (need hubby for that--need 2 people)
--regorganize the 2nd sump once pump out
--add the 2nd DOS for additional dosing. Maybe phyto? Maybe AB+ I can add 2 more things if I wish
--get a 3d printed trident shelf to mount outside on wall
--mount the 2 battery backups to the wall for the mp40's
--figure out more apex programming and deal with the cor-20 issues

Not too bad considering how much this tank needed done.
Overall, can't complain. There were times I thought the tank should have gone into the living room so others could enjoy but I almost live in my office so this is where I can enjoy it. Besides, if I'd put it in living room, the new couch wouldn't have worked lol's. So I get to selfishly hog the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting until after work to do a video and clean my glass! Want lights on full and I'll be at work at 1 until 5. Here are some "dead coral" shots of them coming back.

2 lobos. The one on left was just a skeleton with some faint ring of color. It has just started with the colored stripes. Can't believe this one came back. The one on right was never dead, but just brown. It is supposed to have that orange color which it is now starting to get. Elegance started to fade out but it is looking good. Hoping it will fill the skeleton back up.
20220908_101957.jpg

Pectinia was also almost dead. It is now looking good. Need to find a home for it but it is happy there so am waiting
20220908_102004.jpg

Purple Stylo - was going to frag the tips. Not sure what happened but I can see it starting to come back on base and bottom so am leaving it. Blue monti digitata behind it. Will also just leave for now
20220908_102030.jpg

Now for my prized acros that all browned out after receiving.
Strawberry shortcake is getting color again and some tiny polyps. Hope it keeps going. 1 of my favs
20220908_102044.jpg

Vivids Rainbow Delight getting color and growth at base. Some polyps
20220908_102058.jpg

RR Starfire-never lost having those 1 tentacles. Starting to get color back now
20220908_102126.jpg

Tyree Pinky the Bear-another fav. Starting to see color and tentacles again. There is some brighter pink at the tips on top now that weren't there a few days ago.
20220908_102148.jpg

Red Robin Stag. Still not sure on this one. The left side might be showing some "purple". Can't be coraline I don't think so we'll see. Why 1 side browned and 1 side bleached, no idea

20220908_102233.jpg

Another maybe. Tyree Purple Dragon Eyes. Browned in 1 day after receiving. Seeing purple on tips so hoping it is color and not coraline.
20220908_102254.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temporary guest in my tank courtesy of @lubeck. We did a frag trade and I got this beautiful rainbow nem for my observation tank (ha, just need to make a regular tank as I don't use it for QT). no3 in that tank is 75 per hanna so did a wc and will do another couple this week to get it down. Also nopox and zero. Need to test for po4 as I haven't done that. Alk is low but everything else is good.

Keeping this guy in my big tank in my shu acclimation box. to hold the weight of rocks, I had to use my flipper! Good thing I have another... He has lots of rocks and some spots to hide. When the other tank is ready, I'll move him. And if I can catch the clown, I'll put them in a bucket together for a while
20220911_191331.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 months old. Here is a video. Water still a bit cloudy from raking/blasting sand and using the calcium carbonite "snow"

Today: Po 4 .11 adding another bag of phosguard to get it down to just below .1 And no3 13. Both those numbers not bad and I think the tank would be just fine. Some room to drop without dropping too much

Most algae gone. Need to add more reef flux. Been 4 weeks but not adding carbon or water change until all gone.

Making a list of 1 year tasks to do in October. Need to figure out how to do some of them. Found my UV bulb so can order that.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol's. Who'd have thought the character in my tank would be a sea slug! I'll have to see where he ended up when the lights come on haha
Those slugs can behave in the funniest ways imaginable...! Did you get your most recent power bill yet? I can't get over how much they're gouging you for electricity...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not yet. Dreading it with that last heat wave!

Dave is out in the open! First I've seen him in the morning like this. Even last night he was hugging the rocks! Now I'm going to worry that something is wrong with him lol's
20220912_080816.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An speaking of anemones....

Here is my guest nem in his shu acclimation box. He is nice and extended. He'll be in here a couple weeks or until the other tank is ready for him. I tested the po4 last night and surprisingly, it was only .14. I'll add some phos guard and keep with the nopox and nyos zero and mb clean. And some more water changes. Very happy with this guy

2nd pic is my view from the desk. He's attached to the flipper inside (needed stronger magnet to hold the box in place.) He is so big, I might remove some rock to give it more room
20220912_134152.jpg
20220912_134711.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
po4 up to .2 which could be a mis test as hanna sometimes can be off. Added another bag of phosguard. This time, I used a 3d printed sock holder and put the media in that. That way if I need to remove, easy enough and I can save it as well. Will test again in morning to be sure. Have 2 new bags and an older bag in my reactor that prob. needs to come out. Wish you could recharge the phosguard....

no3 9
20220913_111549.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aiming for a phosphate level of 0.1-0.15ppm, which was recommended to me (corals seem to really like it thus far).
I'd be happy with that as well. 2 is just a bit high for me. Otherwise, everything is good.

Got my booster yesterday so sick today. Sore arm and fever. Ugh!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RBTA was all deflated and small this am. I suspected that the flow into the acclimation box not enough as he's shrunk a bit each day. Moved one of the gyres slightly and then had the brainstorm to add a powerhead pointed at the side of the box --about 10 Inches away. I'm seeing movement now and inflating. Need to do a water change in that other tank today. Debating whether to start a build thread for it or just use this thread. I think I'm just going to make that tank a small clown and whatever tank. It was set up for an observation tank, and then a home for my odd man clown fish.

Once the RBTA goes in, I have to treat it like a "real" reef tank, not just a "1 clown fish tank". Means setting up a doser, which I have and regular maintenance.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a powerhead for the RBTA in the big tank has made this anemone very happy. He is just huge. Too bad I don't want any bta's in my display! My flipper sure hides him. Looks like he might have moved off it. Need the strong magnet to hold the box up lol's.

Today's numbers. Finally about where I want them.
No3 12.6
PO4 .06 with 2 bags of phosguard
ca 470 apex
mg 1586 apex
alk 8.35 apex. A bit lower than I like.
increased alk 2 ml, decreased mg 2 ml and ca 2ml

atk seems to be working great. I think all my issues of the last year with the ato were from a faulty pump. Water level just a tad high so need to adjust

New corals about the same. 2 still not sure if alive--some purple on them but not sure if that is coral. Blue tort now has pe during daytime. Elegance has a new mouth and filling its shell again.

algae about gone. Just some spots that are still a bit fuzzy so will wait another week. Trying not to have to add any more. when gone I'll do some awc's of 5 gal a day or every other day. I think using carbon will remove the reef flux and if there is no high nutrient issue, a water change may not be needed. I like being stable!!
20220915_112538.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be happy with that as well. 2 is just a bit high for me. Otherwise, everything is good.

Got my booster yesterday so sick today. Sore arm and fever. Ugh!!
I got Delta last October and Omicron this past April (Delta was worse). I think the only benefit of beijg fully vaccinated is that it didn't lead to hospitalization.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I've not gotten covid. I wear a mask on the job as it is retail, though if I'm not on register, I'll put it under my chin (not just off nose as I don't want people to think I don't know how to wear a mask and think I'm an idiot haha). I hope to avoid it totally! Being fully vaccinated is the best bet. Not fun for me as I can count of 3 days of fever and feeling crappy. Arm always turns red and is also hot to the touch.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, anyone in the area, my brother in law is looking to sell his 1 hp chiller. It is an AquaeuroUSA. He paid 1300 and is looking for 750. Pass it on to anyone looking. No shipping though!
IMG_1635.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back