OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My redfin wrasse showed him/herself today. Just need to locate the new goby and royal gamma! Wish that cucumber would move into the sand. Still in same area. hope it doesn't die.... Urchin moving around. Will get a couple more with my next pod order as my pods won't be able to sustain for a while

PO4 at .07 yah! I'll add spirulina powder every night for a while and some neophos until I get consistant readings. Also, when the film algae goes back to green and not white (sign of no po4)

Afraid to test no3 as I've been feeding a bit heavier for the new fish. Actually, not bad at 26. Down from 30ish. Perhaps using that coral snow (calcium carbonate) binds some of the nutrients making it easier for socks and skimmer to remove. Ordered some nyos zero to also help. Want them 10-15

The blue lagoon acan has full tentacles out this morning. Beautiful piece. I put it on its own rock as they are very aggressive and hope it fills it over time

Hoping to place some of the corals today to get rid of the frag holders. Will also putty a couple more corals on rocks wedged into rocks so when that urchin is full size he can't move them! Also on today's list is to hook up the replacement fuge light and redo my baskets that hold the ulva and chaeto

20220609_092840.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun Got my nyros stuff in.

Zeo - Would this work at the bottom of filter cups? With floss on top? Or work better at the bottom of my reactor in a bag for easy removal/change. I have to go find your post on how often you take out and recharge

Zero - Less than 2 ml for my tank. Using the trace colors a few times a week. Should this be also 3-4 times a week? NO3 26 but po4 .07 with me dosing neophos. Maybe do 1 ml (after my first dose of 2ml)

bio booster - how often and again, is it about the same as the coral trace colors? I plan to dose the trace colors eventually but lower dose than what I do 3-4 times a week (5 ml)

will see if I can find your post too!

Feeding more often right now for the 2 new wrasses. Happy to see them in the water column. The scarlet pinstripe still likes the edges but is coming out more. Red Fin more daring.

Still no royal gamma or court jester goby and Dave the cuc still not moving much

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos Zero - I run 2000ml (or basically a full 2.0 body). I just remove the black filters, pour the rocks in about an inch from the top and rinse it out with warm water before placing on the Torq reactor.

Nyos Zero - I add 2-2.5ml daily in my tank. Same with Nyos Bio Booster.

Not sure about Red Sea Trace Colors. I don't really do water changes, but I add 12.5ml of Active Elements weekly and 12.5ml of Active Stronium and 12.5ml of Active Iodine every 2 weeks.

Royal grammas are funny. Look in some spots you wouldn't ordinarily think of, like behind the powerheads (that's where mine took up residence).

8DA5CFAD-1414-4235-930C-4C4C84C5E2D7.JPG
"Turdeau" and "No.2" out and about this evening.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos Zero - I run 2000ml (or basically a full 2.0 body). I just remove the black filters, pour the rocks in about an inch from the top and rinse it out with warm water before placing on the Torq reactor.

Nyos Zero - I add 2-2.5ml daily in my tank. Same with Nyos Bio Booster.

Not sure about Red Sea Trace Colors. I don't really do water changes, but I add 12.5ml of Active Elements weekly and 12.5ml of Active Stronium and 12.5ml of Active Iodine every 2 weeks.

Royal grammas are funny. Look in some spots you wouldn't ordinarily think of, like behind the powerheads (that's where mine took up residence).

"Turdeau" and "No.2" out and about this evening.
I'm not planning on big water changes. Right now due to higher no3 (hitting 30 after I did maintenance) I'm doing 5-6% a week, 3 gal at at time so about 3 or 4 days out of 7 to get 9-11 gal or 5% approx. Once I get no3 where I want, I'll do maybe 5 or 10% a month. I need to find a better salt. Almost out of the dr foster, then have some io left.

How many gal is your display? I can prob. dose about what you do as my display is 190 or approx 220 total water
Sounds like I need to make a dosing schedule and try some google searches for running the RS and Nyos. The trace colors will be automated. Need to test again. Iron, iodine are always zero so I add a bit more of those

I have 1000 ml of the zeo which does about 100 gal, so half what I need, though I have siproax and probably other "stuff" in sump. I'll add some to each filter cup and when I change the boyds in the reactor, I can move it there. Plan to bag it to make dealing with it easier. If I get to the point where I need another reactor, I'm going with the nyos. I had that planned but the reviews weren't good--breaks.

I know where the royal was and keep trying to look with a flashlight. Placed all my corals. I was nervous about the wrasses jumping but they actually swam around my arm! Feeding vitamins and garlic to food and feeding a bit over to be sure they get their share..

wish dave would move...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not planning on big water changes. Right now due to higher no3 (hitting 30 after I did maintenance) I'm doing 5-6% a week, 3 gal at at time so about 3 or 4 days out of 7 to get 9-11 gal or 5% approx. Once I get no3 where I want, I'll do maybe 5 or 10% a month. I need to find a better salt. Almost out of the dr foster, then have some io left.

How many gal is your display? I can prob. dose about what you do as my display is 190 or approx 220 total water
Sounds like I need to make a dosing schedule and try some google searches for running the RS and Nyos. The trace colors will be automated. Need to test again. Iron, iodine are always zero so I add a bit more of those

I have 1000 ml of the zeo which does about 100 gal, so half what I need, though I have siproax and probably other "stuff" in sump. I'll add some to each filter cup and when I change the boyds in the reactor, I can move it there. Plan to bag it to make dealing with it easier. If I get to the point where I need another reactor, I'm going with the nyos. I had that planned but the reviews weren't good--breaks.

I know where the royal was and keep trying to look with a flashlight. Placed all my corals. I was nervous about the wrasses jumping but they actually swam around my arm! Feeding vitamins and garlic to food and feeding a bit over to be sure they get their share..

wish dave would move...
My display is 160 gallons (200 total) - so 32-40 gallons less than yours, I believe. Red Sea has a Trace Color/dosing calculator so that could be a good starting point.

The new Nyos G2 reactors have redesigned bodies and bases, and the rare issues that some people reported with lids popping off in some isolated scenarios are now practically non-existent. This isn't an issue with Zeo as the rocks are so heavy you couldn't blast them out even if you tried.

You can always try nudging Dave onto the sand. He may have simply found a happy nibbling spot. The black sea cucumbers I have are very different from Dave. They don't like being on the rocks and prefer being in the sand bed.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is 160 gallons (200 total) - so 32-40 gallons less than yours, I believe. Red Sea has a Trace Color/dosing calculator so that could be a good starting point.

The new Nyos G2 reactors have redesigned bodies and bases, and the rare issues that some people reported with lids popping off in some isolated scenarios are now practically non-existent. This isn't an issue with Zeo as the rocks are so heavy you couldn't blast them out even if you tried.

You can always try nudging Dave onto the sand. He may have simply found a happy nibbling spot. The black sea cucumbers I have are very different from Dave. They don't like being on the rocks and prefer being in the sand bed.
I have the 3 different RS recipes and amts based on what you are going for. For trace, I think 3 ml was the highest .

He is still on sand. Now moved more to back. He's almost the same color as the rock!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in love with this elegance. And the blue lagoon acan is already out with tentacles.

I was so impressed with the corals I got. Elegance from LA and the acan from oceans garden. And the corals from corals anonymous were great too. No lights so the acan doesn't show color
20220609_190503.jpg
20220609_215322.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no sign of the gramma or the goby. The wrasses are out swimming around. Real happy to see them in water column. I think they like the anthias. Need more of them. I think new fish have trouble with a lot of flow as they aren't used to it and it takes them time to build up to it.

Dave is now up on the rocks above the sand. At least he's moving....

Have a pile of frags to find homes for. Pieces break off and I reglue to new rubble! Taking some out of the rockwork so I can put other corals there. One more to move down. Have montipora digitata and birds nest

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so the nyos zero and bio booster seem to work. No3 yesterday at 25 and today at 1.5! Yikes. Cut Nopox in half and will not dose tomorrow or dose half of the zero. Only dosed 2 ml of up to 6 of the bio booster. Will feed a 3 rd time, added spirulina and broadcast AB+ Might do the bio booster every other day and half or 1/4 of the zero. Also have the zeo media but will wait a few days before adding half the amt to the sump. Will test no3 again in am in case reading off, but the hanna vial did not turn bright red/pink indicating nitrates.

harvested my phyto. One batch turned olive green. Not sure it is good.
20220610_142939.jpg
20220610_142956.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so the nyos zero and bio booster seem to work. No3 yesterday at 25 and today at 1.5! Yikes. Cut Nopox in half and will not dose tomorrow or dose half of the zero. Only dosed 2 ml of up to 6 of the bio booster. Will feed a 3 rd time, added spirulina and broadcast AB+ Might do the bio booster every other day and half or 1/4 of the zero. Also have the zeo media but will wait a few days before adding half the amt to the sump. Will test no3 again in am in case reading off, but the hanna vial did not turn bright red/pink indicating nitrates.

harvested my phyto. One batch turned olive green. Not sure it is good.
20220610_142939.jpg
20220610_142956.jpg
That is a pretty extreme drop over one day.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty extreme drop over one day.
which is why I'll retest. Possible yesterday was too high. I'd like it at 10ish

What I did yesterday was 2ml zero, 19 nopox and a refugium with new and nice big ball of chaeto added Wed. If too low in morning, I'll cut nopox in half again and zero half or quarter

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which is why I'll retest. Possible yesterday was too high. I'd like it at 10ish

What I did yesterday was 2ml zero, 19 nopox and a refugium with new and nice big ball of chaeto added Wed. If too low in morning, I'll cut nopox in half again and zero half or quarter
Once things stabilize you can probably cut NOPOX down to zero. But yeah, the Nyos stuff is pretty awesome - I'm definitely a convert.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once things stabilize you can probably cut NOPOX down to zero. But yeah, the Nyos stuff is pretty awesome - I'm definitely a convert.
Me too if it is consistant! Okay no3 back at 24. Will dose both at regular dosage and retest after work.

Edit: 4pm 2 no3 tests. .09 and 25. Drives me nuts. PO 4 at .07

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 2/3's of the zeo in bags to each filter cup. Another third will go in the reactor, also in a bag for easy rinsing. Now that the wrasses are out eating, I'm cutting food to get nitrates down. Also added back a bit more nopox as I had cut it in half.

today my elegance didn't open as big and tonight it is really closed tight. not sure if it nitrates, or lighting as I had upped them just a bit. 4% on whites and 5% on blues. They were 70/8 and tried to get back to 75/15. Took them back down. So 73 and 11. I had turned them down for algae so wanted to get them back where they were. Will see if tomorrow better

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the tank and I can't see but a tiny bit of color in the elegance. It looks like it bailed. I'm hoping it is in there somewhere but there is a lot of skeleton showing. I'm bummed. that was my new pride and joy. Everything else looks good, new and old.

Sea cuc still hasn't moved into the sand. Still up on the rock facing down to the sand. Maybe part of it on sand.

Still no court jester goby or royal gramma. Wrasses doing fine so far

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi Susan ,sorry about the ele..bummer.
but for the record ,i don't think it had anything to do with your params, lights ,etc.
it's 1 of those things,was doomed before you got it... ;)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Susan ,sorry about the ele..bummer.
but for the record ,i don't think it had anything to do with your params, lights ,etc.
it's 1 of those things,was doomed before you got it... ;)
I wouldn't think so as everything else is not only good but thriving. I have sps growth like crazy right now!

so, there is some flesh this morning! But wow, it had gone all the way down into the bottom of its conical skeleton. Not super hopeful but at least it didn't bail!

There are a couple corals that I so want for this tank. An elegance and a torch/hammer garden. And more goni's. So far no torch or hammer (bjd). Frogspawn (if that is what it is) is thriving. Goni is thriving (but not a red one). The sticks are all good for the top of the landscape but I want flow at the bottom half. Doing my tests. Wonder if I can ever dare go a week without testing. Depending on results, sometimes doing 2 tests a day! Hanna is not cheap...

no3 5.3 Do I believe this? Tonight will it be 25? Will do half the dose of the nyos products. And test again tonight
po4 0 so adding neophos and spirulina. Will assume 0 to low, dose and test again in 2 days
Per trident--
alk 8.63
ca 462
Mg 1384 would like this a bit higher

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the elegance gets better. I’d love to try one again in this tank, but the price and how bad it did it my last tank, make me very hesitant…lol…Still hoping on another split from my anenome’s…you’ll be the first to know. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back