OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the red sea doser can't set for like every 2 hrs starting at X time. I can set custom periods like 8am to 8pm or 24 hr starting on a specified minute like 00 or 30 or timer or single

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like: 10 am alk, 12pm cal & mg? spread over 24 hrs? Where do you dose? Return area? I'd worry that the filter cups, the stuff would be absorbed by the filter floss
Right, although I run each dose allotment for 2 hours, ie: 10am-12pm alkalinity, 12pm-2pm calcium, etc.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad the red sea won't let me do this. Any drawback to do 12 hrs apart?
Interesting (didn't realize that). I find that alkalinity and calcium draw seems to be highest during the day, so I dose over a curve. Orange is alkalinity and calcium-magnesium (combined) is blue.

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 4.22.32 PM.png

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no3 at 10 this am and po4 at .07. Will give it a couple days of dosing 2ml zero and 3ml bio to see what I end up with. Dosing 10-15 neo phos as well. Hanna is sure making their money off me with all this testing.... Added rest of zeo to the reactor

Got the mg tester today. On the fence. If it is unreliable, I should return it until they improve it.
1st test 1730
2nd test 1530
trident: 1413--calibrated to my tank water with salifret test

Red fin wrasse in hide mode today. Pinstripe out and about. Cuc moved slightly but not much. Elegance looked great.

I have a pink stylophora up high, high flow. Lights off more polyps out. During day not so much. Might have to move it down a bit. Fox coral looking good and the blue lagoon acan. A couple other new ones either just okay, not okay and not looking like what I thought I was buying. Contacted seller on those 3

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on getting no3 and po4 stable. Goal is no3 to 10-15. Do not want algae out of hand again. I could try my santa monica algae scrubber again. Right now, no3 is around 25 but does drop to 10 but then back up. Need to cut down on food. I do feed heavy. Lots of piggies in my tank. PO4 was .02 last night. Dosing about 15-20 neophos. Need to sprinkle reef roids and spirilinia in there daily I think so I can stop dosing and be confident I can go a week without testing! Testing no3 and po4 every day to every other day

Ph ranges 8-8.1 during the day. Still drops at night to 7.96 and takes hours come day to get back to 8. I do run my fuge lights at night. Not sure what else I can do to get the ph to stay around 8 minimum

Dosing 2-3 of the Nyos zero. Might go to 4. 2 in am and 2 evening. 2-4 of the Nyos bio booster. Maybe go 3/3. Used 1 container of Nyos zeo. 2 in filter cups, and the rest in a bag in reactor. Also dosing 15 nopox

Moved the dosing lines to front of tank where water comes in to stop precipitation. Return area just not enough good flow. alk 8.59, ca 451 and mg 1413 (2 tests put it over 1500). I cut back on ca and mg by 5ml. I might do another recalibration to trident fluid just to see what changes, and then if things are way off, do another batch of tests and then recalibrate to tank.

At the 8 mo mark, I am surprised at how long it is taking to get stable. First couple months, it was so stable!

I hope these are good snails in my fuge on my macro basket. Need a bigger basket for the chaeto or change ulva and chaeto around. Feed tank some ulva. Got some chaeto grow. Dosing a bit daily. My daily dosing list grows... When I set the 2nd doser up for the coral trace ABCD might do the chaeto grow in place of one, and hand dose maybe potassium as my tank is always spot on for that.

Out of 4 new fish, only the scarlet pinstripe has survived. Sad about the redfin as it seemed good. the other 2 just never came out really.

My sea cuc, Dave, likes the rocks.... He stays in same place, just his body shifts around. Dave is pretty boring. Not a party slug...

Hopefully good snails... My sump does have tons of limpet snails I think in all areas. Don't see any in the display anymore
20220617_101154.jpg

View of macro basket
20220617_101158.jpg

Dave... A rock-potato and not doing his chores...
20220617_092645.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoo hoo! Just saw my royal gramma! Hadn't seen it since last wed. when it went into the tank. 1 peak through rock that day and not a sign of it since. Just feed tank again to be sure food got to it. saw it eating!. Maybe hope for the other 2....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoo hoo! Just saw my royal gramma! Hadn't seen it since last wed. when it went into the tank. 1 peak through rock that day and not a sign of it since. Just feed tank again to be sure food got to it. saw it eating!. Maybe hope for the other 2....
Royal grammas are notorious spelunkers. Except mine - mine lives behind one of the powerheads and swims with all the other fish. I think he's actually part wrasse. Here's hoping one or both of the MIA fish make an appearance...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I haven't seen this word used in years. I love spelunking.
I loved touring the Kartchner caves in Arizona a few years ago. Looking at the impressions in the mud that the first cave 'spelunkers' left made me appreciate being able to walk out all the more... :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! Was adding water to the ato brute and forgot about it. At least 30 gal down the garage floor and out the door....

My acro (tenuis) is in full hairy mode today

20220618_160127.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Plate Coral. All puffed. Gone down a little since I've been up I think it's moved closer to the rocks on the right

Last evening no3 at 15 and po4 at .05 so happy with that. Alk/ca/mg seem stable. Not much movement

20220619_083940.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doing a small happy dance. Spotted my redfin wrasse. He's hiding in paly hill! So that leaves just the court jester goby as mia.

raked sand bed. Need to get back to once a week. Two at most! Pulled out a bunch of empty snail/hermit shells. Looked like a graveyard in there!

Will test no3, po4 and cal tonight. Changed my dosing of cal and alk to every 4 hrs ea, 2 hours apart. Still having "snow" or precipitation issues. Had moved dosing to 1st chamber where flow enters. Still snow. Tried the return area. Snow. tried the display. Snow. This was 30 min after cal dosed. Suspect my cal way too high so will retest and if hanna is still 100 higher than trident, will recalibrate.

Getting ready to leave for 5 days. Hubby in charge (bites nails). And of course atk had gotten off!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rainford's goby is still MIA as well, so don't feel too bad. Think: "black sea cucumber". Then you'll never need to rake your sand bed ever again! My calcium is also elevated (550-ish) at the moment, so you're in good company.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rainford's goby is still MIA as well, so don't feel too bad. Think: "black sea cucumber". Then you'll never need to rake your sand bed ever again! My calcium is also elevated (550-ish) at the moment, so you're in good company.
Yes, blacks next time I order! Lol's. Dave still on his rock. And yeah, I'm pretty sure my ca is well over 500.

Dosed a larger dose of "snow", mixture after glass and sand maintenance. Dosed a bit extra after I went back and turkey bastered some of the rocks. Tank should be clear in a couple hours.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, blacks next time I order! Lol's. Dave still on his rock. And yeah, I'm pretty sure my ca is well over 500.

Dosed a larger dose of "snow", mixture after glass and sand maintenance. Dosed a bit extra after I went back and turkey bastered some of the rocks. Tank should be clear in a couple hours.
Man, you just aren't having any luck with certain aspects of your tank... :confused-face:

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, you just aren't having any luck with certain aspects of your tank... :confused-face:
lol's yeah. But I'll dial the ca dosing way down after I test. Love dosing the "snow" though as it clears the crud from the water column. Clogs the socks real fast though. That was a great article that sunnyx (I think) wrote. I use the snow mixture after any cleaning and get clear water fast.

Back