Susan's RS Reefer 3xl 900 Fantasy-Dream Build

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You commute that far? Thats what? 75 miles. My hubbie commutes to san jose a couple times a week since the pandemic. I usually go to aquatic collection in hayward. Hoping they deliver tank and set up. I went to randys once in stockton but the tanks were dirty. Sacramento has some good stores. Citrus heights and roseville as well.

Haha Yes its 73 miles each way to work. and then another few hundred miles per day FOR work (I am a driver and deliver all over northern Cali)

I have several fish from Randy's. I agree that their tanks don't look the best. However, Liz is a sweetheart and has always taken good care of me.

I also have several very healthy happy fish and corals from Tropical Haven in Modesto. Again. not the best DT I have ever seen in a LFS, but the fish and corals are decent and fairly priced.

Blue Planet in Fresno, is by far the best shop within an hour from me. Kevin describes himself as a coral farmer, not an LFS. He specializes in corals and everything I have ever purchased from his store has been top notch. Very small store, very clean tanks and a nice selection of corals for every level.. Everything from the most basic GSP or xenia, to the highest end level SPS. He, as well as Liz at Randy's are very much open to special orders. Simply ask for what you want and they will let you know when they have it ready for you.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jedi1199 very cool. Try the one in hayward sometime. Neptune in San JOse is also huge.

I have been wanting to check out Neptunes for a while now. Its a 2 hour drive from here though. My parents are moving back to San Jose from Oregon this year so maybe I can make a weekend of the trip.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drum Roll please. It has been decided... I am about to put a down payment on a RS Reefer 3xl 900! LFS is going to order, put cabinet together and deliver. Getting prices to do some additional set up and the rest of what I'll need. I know what I want, where to do (except price checking) and how much so we'll see if they beat the prices I've found. Used BRS as my starting point.

If they have the Real Reef and Caribsea rock in stock, I'll go get some this weekend, pay the down payment and then we are officially started.

Got a table set up. Using scrap wood, aluminum sheets etc. to get almost the size I need. Didn't want to spend money on plywood. Doesn't have to be exact as I'm going to try to leave 6-8 inches around. Maybe 5 along back wall for flow. Can't wait!!

20210621_120821.jpg

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following the awesome build @Susan Edwards .... Can you please tell me what the LFS is charging in addition to price of the 3XL900? I'm still in the planning stages, not as big as yours but a RSR 625XL. Biggest concern is how to get a tank safely into the house and cabinet assembled correctly. I'm in Sacramento region, and would prefer to have an LFS handle the delivery and set up rather than have it drop shipped in my driveway. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following the awesome build @Susan Edwards .... Can you please tell me what the LFS is charging in addition to price of the 3XL900? I'm still in the planning stages, not as big as yours but a RSR 625XL. Biggest concern is how to get a tank safely into the house and cabinet assembled correctly. I'm in Sacramento region, and would prefer to have an LFS handle the delivery and set up rather than have it drop shipped in my driveway. Thanks in advance.
I will let you know! I'm an hour south. There are some good lfs there. I'll find out who my son-in-law uses to service his tank. Aqua life is the place he uses to do his tanks and he just got a new custom build thru them I believe. I'll share what info I get.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into both the RedSea 1000 and the waterbox ReefLX 270 & 320 - one thing to note (which is not obvious on the Waterbox site) - the dividers inside the cabinet in the sump area cannot be removed.
Doesn’t sound like a big deal until you realize you can’t really replace their sump that easily. For me that was a deal breaker (as it would constrain my choices too much).

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into both the RedSea 1000 and the waterbox ReefLX 270 & 320 - one thing to note (which is not obvious on the Waterbox site) - the dividers inside the cabinet in the sump area cannot be removed.
Doesn’t sound like a big deal until you realize you can’t really replace their sump that easily. For me that was a deal breaker (as it would constrain my choices too much).
good point. That doesn't matter to me as I'm not going to be changing anything. The size was my issue, and the fact that they aren't available to even backorder!

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good point. That doesn't matter to me as I'm not going to be changing anything. The size was my issue, and the fact that they aren't available to even backorder!
I just got a notification from Waterbox.com 2 days ago that they are back in stock in the event that it makes any difference for you :). Only up to 270 however. 320 still looks like its out of stock.

The wait is over!​

Good news - REEF LX is now back in stock.
Grab it before it's gone!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a notification from Waterbox.com 2 days ago that they are back in stock in the event that it makes any difference for you :). Only up to 270 however. 320 still looks like its out of stock.

The wait is over!​

Good news - REEF LX is now back in stock.
Grab it before it's gone!

The 320 was my original plan. The 270 is only a 6' tank and I wanted as close to 7 as I could get. Also, 30 wide is just too much where I am putting it. Wasn't meant to be lol's. I thought my room was a bit bigger!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so they are charging me 1800 installation/labor for the 6 movers they have to hire. I'll add a 50 tip to each one so 2100. so worth it as I won't have to do the cabinet. They'll also put together the plumbing and help with the rocks in and sand if I want.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm doing this big thing tomorrow. Putting down the deposit on the tank, and the rocks! Got prices on all the equipment I need/want. have to decide on Apex stuff. So in September/October, this baby will be mine! Ordered a white cabinet. The blacks show all the streaks really bad. So dang excited. and a bit overwhelmed lol's
1624516000794.png

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the current fish that will eventually go into the tank.
6 staghorn damsels (may or may not try trading 2-3 in but they are active fish)
1 yellow tail damsel
1 red flame hawk fish
1 coral beauty
2 darwin clowns (mean suckers)
1 foxface
1 yellow tang
1 mandarin goby (in another tank)
1 barber shop goby/pistol shrimp pair

Want to add:
Kole tang
Another tang. Or 2
Anthias- 6
Wrasse-3-5
bi-colored blenny-stay close to rockwork
more small damsels maybe
royal gramma-maybe
fire fish-maybe
flame angel-maybe
another foxface maybe
would love jawfish but I'm not doing 5-7" of sandbed.
lawnmower blenny--algae eating once algae
scooter blenny/dragonet once I have pods = mostly bottom

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! The 900 3XL is a beast so I can imagine the man power needed to get that in place. This gives me an idea on what to plan for, budget wise.
best of luck finding someone in Sac! No one would deliver to Tracy. The hayward store is almost as far--not quite but still a drive

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the current fish that will eventually go into the tank.
6 staghorn damsels (may or may not try trading 2-3 in but they are active fish)
1 yellow tail damsel
1 red flame hawk fish
1 coral beauty
2 darwin clowns (mean suckers)
1 foxface
1 yellow tang
1 mandarin goby (in another tank)
1 barber shop goby/pistol shrimp pair

Want to add:
Kole tang
Another tang. Or 2
Anthias- 6
Wrasse-3-5
bi-colored blenny-stay close to rockwork
more small damsels maybe
royal gramma-maybe
fire fish-maybe
flame angel-maybe
another foxface maybe
would love jawfish but I'm not doing 5-7" of sandbed.
lawnmower blenny--algae eating once algae
scooter blenny/dragonet once I have pods = mostly bottom
Be careful with a bicolor blenny, I've seen lots of reports lately of them eating corals.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with a bicolor blenny, I've seen lots of reports lately of them eating corals.
Wow, I've had them before and never noticed. I'll put a question mark there. But they are so personable!

how does the rest of the stocking list look. No idea how many fish I can go!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back