Susan's RS Reefer 3xl 900 Fantasy-Dream Build

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,just a thought ,do you already have apex ? not a user of either ,but hearing lots of switch over to GHL. i believe @Billldg started a thread on this recently.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CONGRATS Susan... :)be sure to check them seams with a fine tooth comb...;)
happy for you moving along kinda quickly...:)
You bet!!! And with the lfs purchasing and delivering, it falls on them if it isn't right!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the hard part--the waiting! :p. But I'm busy. Putting house back together. Always amazes me what you do in one room affects the others! Today I hope to get more displaced items placed! Had to cull through my totes of yarn to get them out of my office closet as something else had to go there--it was displaced by the printer having to go into the closet.

Working now on water change station. Need to figure out how to do auto water changes, move RO unit-hook up to the water heater line (I hope)

Of course that requires more major changes--1 entire shelf unit in garage has to go. So more boxes of books, my home decor and good god, my xmas village stuff all has to move and find new places. That means clearing out more of that side of the garage and the other unit redone so at least the xmas stuff shifts there! Yikes. A lot of work....

Have my equipment list figured out. Next post.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment for this new build
Red Sea 900 Reefer skimmer
Red Sea Reefwave (gyre) 45--qty 2
Red Sea Reefled 160s Qty 4

I figured to go with RS equip. as they are designed for the tank. They suggest 3 of the lights but the lfs suggested we might want 4 eventually, so as my hubby will do the light fixture, if we want 4, I need 4 now.

I hope the 2 gyre's do me for a while. I will be adding mp40's. But not sure I'll need right away as I'll just have my softies in the tank to begin with. Unless someone suggests I need them now. I plan to put the 2 gyres vertical on either side of the overflow box as RS has done

Other equipment
--special grade live sand-(I do not want to rinse this amt of sand lol's
--2 600 watt heaters with controller
--Cor-20 return pump
--battery back up
--starboard for bottom. In case of tumbles etc. Spending this much, I'll add the protection. Not planning to glue it. Just lay it
--2 mp40's at some point. Love all the cords on the outside

Did I miss any thing?
See next post for apex

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex Controller
I am looking at the dream bundle. I want control, automation and checks if something goes wrong. What do you all think? Is the new version of Apex better? easier to program,? My son-in-law has an older one that he rarely uses as it is so hard.

Dream Bundle:
Controller + 4 probes
2 energy bars-want 1 dedicated to whatever needs off for water changes
dosing pump--this would be for my water changes
feeder--don't really need this right now but...
flow monitor kit. Maybe don't need right now
probe rack
Display module
calibration pack
leak detection
1959.00 vs 2257.00 separattely so almost 300 bucks savings

Will add additional leak detection [email protected] total
Auto top off-199.99

pure fun/want maybe
Lunar, led strings and adaptor for adding lunar lights--luxury
Par monitoring-200 might be useful later
Auto testing--another useful maybe but not sure I need to test tank 4 x's a day

What are your thoughts on apex. goal is to be able to monitor esp. when we go on trips

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex Controller
I am looking at the dream bundle. I want control, automation and checks if something goes wrong. What do you all think? Is the new version of Apex better? easier to program,? My son-in-law has an older one that he rarely uses as it is so hard.

Dream Bundle:
Controller + 4 probes
2 energy bars-want 1 dedicated to whatever needs off for water changes
dosing pump--this would be for my water changes
feeder--don't really need this right now but...
flow monitor kit. Maybe don't need right now
probe rack
Display module
calibration pack
leak detection
1959.00 vs 2257.00 separattely so almost 300 bucks savings

Will add additional leak detection [email protected] total
Auto top off-199.99

pure fun/want maybe
Lunar, led strings and adaptor for adding lunar lights--luxury
Par monitoring-200 might be useful later
Auto testing--another useful maybe but not sure I need to test tank 4 x's a day

What are your thoughts on apex. goal is to be able to monitor esp. when we go on trips

Been scratching my head about this for a couple of years, the "programing" puts me off even though I have worked with industrial automated systems in the past! :rolleyes:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would just like to add about the apex, please do your research ,have heard of readings being off consistantly.
and oh yes..3 generations of Christmas village here... :rolleyes: but i do enjoy moving pieces on wife ,just to see how long it take her to find...:D
what's wrong with the ice fisherman in the middle of the ice skating pond...lol...;):)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi Susan ,this was just a convo ,before the thread on apex /ghl.. :) hope this works lol..:rolleyes:
Billldg said:
What...BROKE...for a hobby!!! LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

I made the switch from a full Apex system to, eventually, a full GHL system to tell other reefers the truth of which one is better and which way to go. Am I rich and can simply do the switch costing ME roughly $4000, no, BUT, am I in the position to do it, with a small cost to myself, meaning I will suffer a little, yes. I just hate seeing reefers spend a ton of money on a system and not like it, I just want to tell the truth on which way to go so you don't have to do it a second time. ;)
This Makes me happy. I hate buying one thing to do the job only to realize I should have bought something else!

I wait for your report sir! So this way I can pick a direction and run with it!

Hi my name is Rebecca and I am a coral addict.
Like Quote Reply
  • 2 Thumbs
Reactions:Smirkish, MERKEY, Erin O and 3 others

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of starboard, I used plastic fluorescent light diffuser panels, square grids, under my sand. I put the diffuser panels in first, then stacked my rock into the formations I wanted. The diffuser panels really allow you to lock in the rock: they won't ever slide. You may get this effect from starboard, too. Afterwards, I put in sand and then water. Pouring in water on top of rocks somewhat reduces the sand clouding up the water (still does though).

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Instead of starboard, I used plastic fluorescent light diffuser panels, square grids, under my sand. I put the diffuser panels in first, then stacked my rock into the formations I wanted. The diffuser panels really allow you to lock in the rock: they won't ever slide. You may get this effect from starboard, too. Afterwards, I put in sand and then water. Pouring in water on top of rocks somewhat reduces the sand clouding up the water (still does though).
i don't do sand,but know that the diffusers, "eggcrate" does not allow clean up crew do enough,after time is a build up.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Susan ,this was just a convo ,before the thread on apex /ghl.. :) hope this works lol..:rolleyes:

This Makes me happy. I hate buying one thing to do the job only to realize I should have bought something else!

I agree... I have gone through 2 light setups on my 55g since I started and I don't care much for the one I have now either. It's a 48" Orbit reef light and while I love the controllability, I despise the low intensity.

Sometimes the "Try and see" method can be quite expensive.. lol

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't do sand,but know that the diffusers, "eggcrate" does not allow clean up crew do enough,after time is a build up.
Yes. I don't vacuum my sand or stir it and it is quite nice looking. It is around 3" deep. Ideally for me, the lower levels are anaerobic zones where denitrification is occurring. I've added bristle worms and spaghetti worms, who've only made my sand better. I'm sure all the biodiversity I've added from IPSF.com has helped my tank become mature, biologically, and not be an algae farm. A lot of my snails have passed because there isn't enough to eat other than the film on the glass.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wait for your report sir! So this way I can pick a direction and run with it!

Hi my name is Rebecca and I am a coral addict.
Like Quote Reply
  • 2 Thumbs
Reactions:Smirkish, MERKEY, Erin O and 3 others
Just a quick side-bar... Your username is fishguy242 but your name is Rebecca?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a quick side-bar... Your username is fishguy242 but your name is Rebecca?
hi,lol,no was just a post on my build, ;) i am Frank...:cool:

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small bit of that in my current tank and it shows if the sand moves. Plus when I vacuum, I have to be sure I cover it back up. I think a smooth layer is better for clean up crew etc. and even sand sifting gobies

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back