OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning what to put in my sump. It has a split sump. might make the split part a refugium and add a small powerhead in there. I think flow to low to use for a reactor chamber? No idea. I can use the refugium area next to the skimmer section for reactors and maybe UV? Also planning to use marine pure but will put in acrylic containers to keep the biomedia contained and not floating around. Plus, I can remove to clean bottom.

Debating on hooking up 2 return pumps for redunacy. Not sure how hard to control the flow of 2 to get the right levels in sump/tank.

So much planning! And research this time around. Have Mon and Tue off so need to deal with the current tank! Going to remove a few really bad algae rocks. I'm not reusing so they can go now.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex Controller
I am looking at the dream bundle. I want control, automation and checks if something goes wrong. What do you all think? Is the new version of Apex better? easier to program,? My son-in-law has an older one that he rarely uses as it is so hard.

Dream Bundle:
Controller + 4 probes
2 energy bars-want 1 dedicated to whatever needs off for water changes
dosing pump--this would be for my water changes
feeder--don't really need this right now but...
flow monitor kit. Maybe don't need right now
probe rack
Display module
calibration pack
leak detection
1959.00 vs 2257.00 separattely so almost 300 bucks savings

Will add additional leak detection [email protected] total
Auto top off-199.99

pure fun/want maybe
Lunar, led strings and adaptor for adding lunar lights--luxury
Par monitoring-200 might be useful later
Auto testing--another useful maybe but not sure I need to test tank 4 x's a day

What are your thoughts on apex. goal is to be able to monitor esp. when we go on trips

I would also take a few moments and look in to other controllers like the Hydros or GHL
that said i do have an apex have not used it much got it a few years ago now but been off line as i took down the tank just now getting it back up. but the fusion app is pretty great.

the color and plastic of the hardware not really.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also take a few moments and look in to other controllers like the Hydros or GHL
that said i do have an apex have not used it much got it a few years ago now but been off line as i took down the tank just now getting it back up. but the fusion app is pretty great.

the color and plastic of the hardware not really.
will do and thanks

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a great compliment! We'll see how it comes out in the end, right?
Well it so happens that it also took me 3 attempts/Reboots before things clicked, so you are right on track for nothing but success.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning what to put in my sump. It has a split sump. might make the split part a refugium and add a small powerhead in there. I think flow to low to use for a reactor chamber? No idea. I can use the refugium area next to the skimmer section for reactors and maybe UV? Also planning to use marine pure but will put in acrylic containers to keep the biomedia contained and not floating around. Plus, I can remove to clean bottom.

Debating on hooking up 2 return pumps for redunacy. Not sure how hard to control the flow of 2 to get the right levels in sump/tank.

So much planning! And research this time around. Have Mon and Tue off so need to deal with the current tank! Going to remove a few really bad algae rocks. I'm not reusing so they can go now.
Refugium is definitely doable - as is a separate frag tank (add a light and a small wavemaker and you're set). You could also run a reactor in there without a hitch. In my 750 XXL, I'm running a Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer and a pair of Nyos Torq reactors - and there's still a bit of "wiggle room". On the 900 3XL you don't have quite the same real estate - but you should have room for a skimmer and at least one reactor in the rear part of the sump.

Don't forget that you need to allow for the same width of the sliding sock trays in the front chamber of the sump for removal and replacement - so this cuts down the usable space in that area by about half. You probably have enough room for one MarinePure bio block or a few of the thinner plates (I was able to squeeze two in).

As the split sump also has 2 chambers, you could easily run a refugium in the front and a frag tank in the rear. People also use the split sump for an RO reservoir since there's no auto top-off in the 900 3XL (though I suspect you could order the same top sliding reservoir that the 750 XXL features and run with that).

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Can you remove socks/cups without sliding them into the refugium area? Like from the top and drop clean ones back in? Or do they have to slide in and out to replace?
Don't forget that you need to allow for the same width of the sliding sock trays in the front chamber of the sump for removal and replacement - so this cuts down the usable space in that area by about half. You probably have enough room for one MarinePure bio block or a few of the thinner plates (I was able to squeeze two in).

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Can you remove socks/cups without sliding them into the refugium area? Like from the top and drop clean ones back in? Or do they have to slide in and out to replace?

I can't speak from the 900 but yes that is how I do it on my RS650p and the 750 I had.
I just use filter floss so i don't need to take out the cups. I like filter floss cheap and easy i change 2x a week.

i have heard alot of ppl having trouble with the reef beat app to connect the power heads and lights IDK I would join the red sea FB and ask around. would hate for you to get it then not love it, for the price of this stuff we need to love it.

also check out the life reef skimmers just another quality option.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have heard alot of ppl having trouble with the reef beat app to connect the power heads and lights IDK I would join the red sea FB and ask around. would hate for you to get it then not love it, for the price of this stuff we need to love it.

also check out the life reef skimmers just another quality option.
Will do. And thanks.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for 2 return pumps and how to keep them balanced (or at desired throughput), I use a Neptune 1" flow-meters for each of my two Cor-20 pumps. My target is 300gph each and each return is fully independent of the other. Most of my return plumbing is 3/4" due to two pre-installed bulkheads on DT. I wish I would've gone with larger bulkheads when I ordered the tank from Custom Aquariums, but live and learn.

When my pumps and input filters are fully clean, they can easily go over the target throughput. The return that goes through my inline chiller is the most restricted: it is always set to a higher power-setting than the other one. I adjust each pumps setting to achieve 300gph. As the pumps or input filter-floss get dirty, then the throughput degrades. I just increase the pump setting by 1% or so as needed. Degradation happens slowly so I'm not adjusting them each day or even each week.

One of the return pump controllers failed (the one that goes through chiller). While waiting for replacement, I simply swapped the output with the other pump. Using lots of unions made this pretty simple (and removing for cleaning, too). I made use of installing redundant returns, just as planned.

If you do get any kind of inline flow-meters, keep them above the sump high-water-line as not all of them are waterproof.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do get any kind of inline flow-meters, keep them above the sump high-water-line as not all of them are waterproof.
good idea. I'm hoping to use the chiller/dry side to mount everything. And filters? wonder if mine has a filter... Never have cleaned my pump lol's. Guess i need to plan a cleaning/maintenance schedule

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good idea. I'm hoping to use the chiller/dry side to mount everything. And filters? wonder if mine has a filter... Never have cleaned my pump lol's. Guess i need to plan a cleaning/maintenance schedule
I've only cleaned my pumps twice in 2 1/2 years. Funnily enough, when I've dosed chemiclean a few times for cyano, the throughput on my pumps went up! I guess it "cleans the pipes".

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they have to be slid out for removal. The guide that they slide in on has a lip on each side that holds the socks in-place in the tray.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked out water change station and auto water change. Still some things to figure out to ask lfs guy. How far can the neptune doser push the water and if I can run the old salt water down the washer drain. drawing does not have plumbing for the RO and SW containers. Or the RO lines. Just figuring out auto WC.

New SW for tank has to go through garage wall into office where tank is. I want to start off very controlled, then I can get brave and use the big saltwater container lol's. Old water either has to go back to garage into a brute or hook into the laundry room drain. Office shares a wall with garage and laundry room. Big area is part of the garage.

At least I have a plan that can be tweaks. Like learning the doser on the old sw runs backwards...

Only a few more days before my rock arrives at the lfs. Picking up a water change pump at same time and discusing apex. Going to go 2 cor-15's so I need the controller.

The waiting game is so hard, yet there is so much to do. House almost back together and now I need to tear garage
apart! time for a load to the charity places

water change tank.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune states the DOS can push volume to 24 vertical feet (not sure how much horizontal, but I suspect it would be quite a bit if it can function two stories up).
thanks. I think I'll be under 30 feet going down and along the ground then into the tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I think I'll be under 30 feet going down and along the ground then into the tank.
Here is a tip When you’re first priming the DOS before calibrating the pump, it tells you to use tap water. Don’t. Put RO in the reservoir you’re using for testing instead.

Also, they ask you to hold the button down for each DOS head, but with ~30 feet you’ll have to do this for a long time. Instead, run the pump calibration for each head (it will engage for 90 seconds without needing to hold the button down), enter 40ml and repeat the pump calibration test until water flows out the end of the tube.

When RO finally starts flowing out the end of the tube, then run the calibration test one final time with the measuring beaker provided and record the actual amount of water and you should be good to go.

It doesn’t really make sense why they’d suggest using tap water since that’s going to end up in the tube and you don’t want untreated water going into the tank.

It took me 5 minutes of having to hold the button down for each DOS head and this was only a run of maybe 4-5 feet (max).

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun thanks for that tip! And I'll get my line figured out, and run it from the garage so I don't have to run in and out of the garage lol's. Then I can set it to do a water change of a gallon (using ro buckets with measured water) to see if it is right-just has to be close for awc

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back