Susan's RS Reefer 3xl 900 Fantasy-Dream Build

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun thanks for that tip! And I'll get my line figured out, and run it from the garage so I don't have to run in and out of the garage lol's. Then I can set it to do a water change of a gallon (using ro buckets with measured water) to see if it is right-just has to be close for awc
Np. I’m not sure what you’re all planning for your Neptune system, but a flow sensor for your pump, the leak detection kit and some other optical sensors) would be highly recommended. This way you’ll be able to remotely monitor water levels (in and around) as well as the ability to have the DOS automatically shutoff through Apex Fusion if any water is detected.

If you ever need an example of how my Neptune is setup and configured, I’d be more than happy to share the wiring diagram and any programming code for various devices). Just fire pm a PM.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’ve picked up your return pumps yet, but I went with a Sicce ADV 9.0 on mine (you may want a pair for redundancy and more flow). These can now be controlled through the Apex just like the COR 20. Sicce has a 5-year warranty on their pumps.

If you’re stoked about the COR and already going that route, no worries. Just wanted to pass this along. You may also want some silicone pads for under your skimmers, pumps and reactors to dampen vibrations. Any silicone food-grade ones will work (I found some cheap colored ones at Bed Bath & Beyond).

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is in!! Picking up Saturday morning. Also received my glue and accelerator from BRS and my reef epoxy from Marine Depot. Dug out my bucket of marine cement if it is any good still.

Real Reef
55lbs box
33lbs Branches

Caribsea
40lb box
20lb shapes
40lbs 2 boxes arches
40lbs shelf
1 24" arch
2 orders frag rock

Total Cost (ouch) 1774
Total lbs approx 245

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’ve picked up your return pumps yet, but I went with a Sicce ADV 9.0 on mine (you may want a pair for redundancy and more flow). These can now be controlled through the Apex just like the COR 20. Sicce has a 5-year warranty on their pumps.

If you’re stoked about the COR and already going that route, no worries. Just wanted to pass this along. You may also want some silicone pads for under your skimmers, pumps and reactors to dampen vibrations. Any silicone food-grade ones will work (I found some cheap colored ones at Bed Bath & Beyond).
got a pic so I have an idea what these are? I think we are going the cor-15's
Yes, and just when we get over sticker shock of the tank - the bill for the rock comes due!
Yep. And that isntbpaid yet. Just 2k down lols

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked about doing 2 return pumps, the lfs suggested going from the 20's to the 15's as I'm doing apex. Thinks the 20's are overkill. I'll talk to him more about it Sat.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked about doing 2 return pumps, the lfs suggested going from the 20's to the 15's as I'm doing apex. Thinks the 20's are overkill. I'll talk to him more about it Sat.
The COR15's can be powered through 1LINK, which means you don't need an additional outlet for each of them (you can run each off an EB832 power bar). Both the COR15 and COR20 are the same size, so the only different is the flow rating (probably ~600 Gph @100% for the COR15 and ~1200 Gph @100% for the COR20).

COR_15_chart_wide.gif

If you're going to run two COR15s in tandem, I think you'll be able to get around ~600 Gph @50% speed. You'll probably be able to get the same flow with a single COR20 @45% speed. Two COR20s will probably max out around @30% with the stock Red Sea plumbing.

I have a friend with a 750 XXL and he upgraded all the return outlets from 3/4" to 1" and runs an Abyzz A200 and Sicce ADV 9.0 @45% to get somewhere around 850 Gph, but with the stock plumbing he couldn't get it beyond 650-700 Gph.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The COR15's can be powered through 1LINK, which means you don't need an additional outlet for each of them (you can run each off an EB832 power bar). Both the COR15 and COR20 are the same size, so the only different is the flow rating (probably ~600 Gph @100% for the COR15 and ~1200 Gph @100% for the COR20).

COR_15_chart_wide.gif

If you're going to run two COR15s in tandem, I think you'll be able to get around ~600 Gph @50% speed. You'll probably be able to get the same flow with a single COR20 @45% speed. Two COR20s will probably max out around @30% with the stock Red Sea plumbing.

I have a friend with a 750 XXL and he upgraded all the return outlets from 3/4" to 1" and runs an Abyzz A200 and Sicce ADV 9.0 @45% to get somewhere around 850 Gph, but with the stock plumbing he couldn't get it beyond 650-700 Gph.
good to know. I'll print this out and take it with me!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rock. I have a lot of rock! I think I have way too much rock lol's. But you have to order by the box so we'll see. Some in sump, some extra, some will get broken up. Can we say this is all a bit overwhelming?
Car loaded. Trunk too!
20210703_110930.jpg

Into the office
20210703_124047.jpg

Rupert is helping...
20210703_130645.jpg

245 lbs approx!!
20210703_133406.jpg

branch-Real Reef
20210703_140811.jpg

shapes/arches
20210703_140818.jpg

Real Reef
20210703_140824.jpg

Caribsea
20210703_140829.jpg

arches and shelf
20210703_140840.jpg

24" arch
20210703_140844.jpg

shelf and arches
20210703_140848.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

COR_15_chart_wide.gif

LFS and I agreed to do 1 of each so the cor-20 runs the manifold

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a heck of a lot of rock!!
I just noticed the cat in the box! Your fisher/helper animal! Make sure you keep some boxes for Rupert! I went with the MarinePure bioblocks in my sump as opposed to actual rock, mainly for these reasons: they're far cheaper on a per square inch basis over live rock, take up significantly less space and I don't have to worry about them breaking the glass in my sump if I inadvertently drop them.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the cat in the box! Your fisher/helper animal! Make sure you keep some boxes for Rupert! I went with the MarinePure bioblocks in my sump as opposed to actual rock, mainly for these reasons: they're far cheaper on a per square inch basis over live rock, take up significantly less space and I don't have to worry about them breaking the glass in my sump if I inadvertently drop them.
True. I haven't figured out the sump yet lol's. I have some in my current sump that I will move over to seed new tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I haven't figured out the sump yet lol's. I have some in my current sump that I will move over to seed new tank.
Seeding is good! I believe you mentioned you were thinking of running a refugium or similar in your split sump, so you definitely have room to place your rock there. I'm running a skimmer and two reactors in my rear chamber, and the bioblocks and separate pump for my UV filter in the front (which leaves just enough room for a few frag racks and enough space to remove the sock filters).

I'm not sure what you're planning with respect to the four sock filter slots, but I found the two sock/two media basket combination did not work very well. For starters, the first sock filter in each tray (closest to the return) tends to clog up quickly - resulting in overflow to the media baskets. And then the media baskets (carbon and GFO in my setup) clog up with all the unfiltered crap - and within a short period of time it's overflowing over the lip - with the return water bypassing everything entirely.

I ended up switching to four sock filters in the trays and moving the carbon and GFO into a reactor instead. This way if the first set of sock filters get clogged it overflows into the backup. And instead of having to change sock tilers every 1-2 days, I'm actually able to get closer to a week instead.

Just a FYI, the 225-micron nylon socks that Red Sea typically includes are useless - and will end up snagging in the laundry (you can keep them for a backup or something for Rupert to play with!) You'll want either the 100-micron sock filters or the 225-micron sock filters. The 100-micron catch significantly more but the 225-micron offer less maintenance (since they filter less). The 225-microns can be advantageous for when you go on holidays.

I went with a pair of Nyos Torq reactors for my media. I have a 2.0 body filled with ~2kg of Nyos Zeo and a 1.0 body filled with ~600g of carbon and ~350g of Nyos Phosi-Ex (which I recommend over Rowaphos; trust me, once you open the container of Phosi-Ex you'll see why immediately). These get changed out approximately every 1.5-2 months.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a skimmer and two reactors in my rear chamber, and the bioblocks and separate pump for my UV filter in the front (which leaves just enough room for a few frag racks and enough space to remove the sock filters).

Just a FYI, the 225-micron nylon socks that Red Sea typically includes are useless - and will end up snagging in the laundry (you can keep them for a backup or something for Rupert to play with!) You'll want either the 100-micron sock filters or the 225-micron sock filters. The 100-micron catch significantly more but the 225-micron offer less maintenance (since they filter less). The 225-microns can be advantageous for when you go on holidays.

I went with a pair of Nyos Torq reactors for my media. I have a 2.0 body filled with ~2kg of Nyos Zeo and a 1.0 body filled with ~600g of carbon and ~350g of Nyos Phosi-Ex (which I recommend over Rowaphos; trust me, once you open the container of Phosi-Ex you'll see why immediately). These get changed out approximately every 1.5-2 months.
I'm hoping the reefer 900 fits with a reactor or two. Not sure if I'll have to move the separator and make the front area smaller. I'm looking at the Nyos as well. I am adding 2 15w UV ster. LFS suggests running one each with each return pump or line. Not sure. So I guess I better find out if I need pumps. No idea how they work. Is your skimmer area the smaller or larger area.

what socks are you using. I want to get a supply before hand. I have a bunch of felt etc. Not sure what sizes.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my first attempt with this scape. I have a ton of rock left lol's. Def. not what I was envisioning but the rock changed my vision lol's. I'm hoping there is plenty of places to put corals and even group families. I have a zoa garden on right--pink. Need to add about 3 rocks of rhodactis and palys, and a rock of gps. Gps will go back corner right side. Not sure on the huge blue leather which I need to get brave enough to frag. Hope there is plenty of negative space as well.
20210703_224113.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping the reefer 900 fits with a reactor or two. Not sure if I'll have to move the separator and make the front area smaller. I'm looking at the Nyos as well. I am adding 2 15w UV ster. LFS suggests running one each with each return pump or line. Not sure. So I guess I better find out if I need pumps. No idea how they work. Is your skimmer area the smaller or larger area.

what socks are you using. I want to get a supply before hand. I have a bunch of felt etc. Not sure what sizes.
I’m running the Red Sea 100-micron (note that Red sea uses 3.5” proprietary sock filters), 2 socks per tray (4 total) - so any generic 4” socks aren’t going to work.

If you’re going to run two return pumps, then you’ll be ok with running a UV off each pump. Note that you’ll lose a bit of flow in the process off each, though (bends, etc.) Check to see what each of your UVs is rated for. You will want 90,000 (minimum) exposure from each UV, otherwise it won’t be effective.

My 15-watt UV is only rated for around 268 Gph flow in order to get 90,000 exposure, which is why I just ran it separately off a Sicce Silent 2.0 pump and dialed the pump back to about half flow. So you may need larger UVs if you’re going to run them directly off your mains (since you’ll probably want 350-425 Gph off each pump and still hit that magic 90,000 radiation threshold for each).

Yes, you may have to move the partition forward in your sump to have more room for reactors, etc. I think a Nyos 1.0 body will still be enough for your 900 3XL, as I’m running a bit more carbon and GFO than recommended just to fill it full. But you may want to get a 2.0 body and run Zeo in the bottom and carbon and GFO in the top (to save space in the sump).

If you want I can post a few pictures of my sump and wiring so you can see how I set things up.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip: Invest in about a dozen 1’, 3’ and 6’ extension cables (I can give you the Amazon links if you want). When I did my wiring I wired the extensions from my outlets to the main tank area, and then bundled the cords for everything. This way, when I need to remove stuff for maintenance I can pull out the whole skimmer, reactor (etc.) without having to rip out all the wiring.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back