OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your little Dori doing? My little grandaughter really wants me to have one. :)
You should!! Dory is out and about. She still likes the left side rock the best but she ventures out now. She is so dang cute!

What's your eta for your tank?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! ETA is next Friday!! My son will need to come out to help me put the stand together to start. Not going to be the fastest build..lol
slow but done right is good!! Start your build thread!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hubby got the UV exit hose changed from a shorter one to a longer one to reach the skimmer chamber. We'll see if I get less algae on glass. Had both UV hoses in the same chamber before so the exit water was going right back into the UV. Now the cleaner water will go through skimmer then out.

I have a feeling the UV pump should be in the main sump as well as the secondary sump is pretty low flow. I did add a powerhead on low to help pull water into the chamber and push it out into the refugium. LFS installed the UV. I'll worry about this later... much later lol's.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my pump in the refugium chamber (right after the filter socks).
I have a chamber in front of the skimmer-after the filter socks but I'd have to see if the pump will fit and allow socks to be removed. Might consider doing this. Need more hose as the UV is in the other side of cabinet. Pump goes to manifold and then to the UV.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chamber in front of the skimmer-after the filter socks but I'd have to see if the pump will fit and allow socks to be removed. Might consider doing this. Need more hose as the UV is in the other side of cabinet. Pump goes to manifold and then to the UV.
If you place it all the way to the one side it should fit (I have a Sicce SDC 6 powering mine that fits between the divider panel in the front partition.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Still a lot of the glass algae. Will try turning the pump up. It's at 34 percent. Maybe 40? Plan to get more hose so we can move the pump into the sump.

PO4 has started to climb. 1.6 tonight and 2 days ago. Added the boyd's elite back in--1 bag and some phosguard. Also nopox from 7 ml to 10. No neophos! Will watch to see if I need my reactor but I need to move the UV pump firstIt's not bad but I'd like it to stay under .1 just because it can be hard to lower if it gets out of control.

No3 still between 5-10. Prob. 5-7.

Corals all happy. 1 montipora growing like crazy. Will do some updated pics. Might take 1 good pic of each coral, move it to a separate folder and give it a code like monti 1a and each month take another and name it monti 1b so I can see the growth for each coral.

Off work tomorrow. MIght see about setting up my dosing and the ato. Or wait until after xmas when work will drop off and I'll have more time (keep getting called in!!) Need to get an idea of what I want for my control panel as well. I suspect I'll work on my xmas tree and house related stuff :eek: as house is a disaster. Will clean glass though....

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No set up of ato lol's. Spent day doing xmas! PO4 back to .06 Will retest tomorrow in case I need to pull the phosguard and boyd's elite out. No 3 is between 5 and 10.

Tank almost at the 2 month mark and I couldn't be more happier. I do realize things can go to hell fast but I'm doing my best to keep on top of everything. Had a bit of an issue with heaters. Tank got down to 74 so purchased another heater. Had a finnex 500w and a 100 w which had been fine. Added another 500 w. Need to take out the finnex and test it to see if it is working. No light on it. Tank holding at 76.5 which is fine. Guess time to turn house heater on...

Upped the lights to 80/20 with a 4 hr ramp up and down. On at 9 off at 10. Sunday if not called in to work will be a maintenance day. Noticing that since I moved the UV return to the skimmer area and upped the flow to 40, not so much algae on glass. Prob. will increase to 45. Ordered more tubing so I can move the UV pump into the main sump area--pump feeds the manifold located in the second chamber over the extra sump so have to run the tubing to the manifold as the UV is at the end of it. Then I'll have room for my reactor in that chamber. If I don't need to get rowaphos going again, maybe I'll put carbon in there.

A couple videos today. My goni is so incredible. After years of not being able to keep one alive, this is just so dang special and awesome. Can't believe how tall it is getting. Also a video of my sps's. Again, the PE is incredible. I can't tell the difference between the birds nests and the poccillipora coral. I know the bright green is lime green birds nest but there should be some regular and then the poccillipora. I'm thinking the pocc is the darker coral. The purple stylo is also incredible.

Used my new orphek aquarium lens to take the video. What a difference!! Thanks SS!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS is looking so gorgeous!! The PE is amazing!!! The new lens helps a lot. :)
the new lens are a game changer lol's.
I still cannot believe the sps's. Never since I started have I been able to achieve this

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, moving this from discussion thread to a new build thread. This is my second time trying to reboot this tank. So counting the original set up, this makes I hope, 3rd times the charm! I'm inspired by my son-in-law who just set up a custom 400 peninsula tank. God, it is a beauty! So, time to get my beauty back.

Life intruded for the last couple years, and I had to put my tank on hold.
-2018 I lost my mom who lived with us. As she smoked in her room, I had it painted with a special primer for smoking, and it was so noxious, it wiped out half my fish and corals in 3 tanks! Talk about a huge white bacteria bloom!
-2019 my daughter decided to get married in Croatia-destination wedding (and it was a fairytale wedding and experience!) so I took down all but the 125 tank as we were going to be gone 3 weeks, and I didn't want a pet sitter overwhelmed. All money went for that trip! 2020 as we all know has been with its own challenges. Esp. in California where not everything is reopened, or safe to go out, like to fish stores. And summer here is too hot to order any live fish or corals. So now that fall is about here, now is the time!

I also admit to some disappointment with the tank. It is just a "cheap" glass tank. My first tank was starfire glass (RS Max c250). I wanted to go bigger so found the one I know have. It isn't as wide as I'd wanted so my rockscape wasn't what I envisioned. And the glass, being used, gets coraline fast that is hard to remove. I should have waited but oh well. This is what I have until I upgrade.

I've lost most corals. But all fish seem to be doing good. So now I'm ready to reboot and redo. I spent time today making a plan. And it will be a job. Here is my plan:

Start now
  • Clean glass in stages to not overwhelm system (no3 is off charts as it is)
  • Clean sump. Remove all media and vacuum out as much as I can without taking all the water out with the refuge
  • work on 45 gal tank RS Max e170. Remove the atv we tried to use as sealant for bulkhead leaks (has option of under cabinet sump). The seals, I think, dried out. So now I have to remove all the stuff we used, and take bulk heads out to check seals. I need this tank to hold rock that I remove from the 125 to keep it live. fix and move to new location.
  • research new lights. The marine orbits just don't seem to do for the corals
  • buy sand
  • clean all powerheads. Use pitcher of vinegar water hanging on rim to soak each powerhead
Next Step
Set up 45 gal tank, remove sand in stages- I have very fine sand that blows around. I'm going to add some med. 1-2mm size. I'll devise a way to dump sand where I want it, down a pvc pipe maybe.
Remove a lot of rock and redo scape
Rescue Clown stuck in overflow if still alive... I put food in there everyday. use old sand to fill overflow where it is stuck to get it out.... If he is still alive. I put food there every day.... Then vacuum out sand. Put him in the 45 and decide whether to give away, buy another. Have 1 pair in tank already
Add new sand
Redo landscape
Replace lights
Fix all electrical cords
Hook up doser and manifold. If easy to change water, perhaps I'll do it more often!
Lastly: buy fish and corals!
set up schedule for water changes and testing

Okay, I guess a new build needs pics, even ones that are embarassing!!! I'll make a list of my fish after I can see lol's.

20200920_184311_resized.jpg

And here it is. Just awful. You can tell which side I always start to clean first lol's. The 45 will be moved to the dining room to free up some living room space. Like for my xmas tree...
20200920_184336_resized.jpg

Sigh. There are fish in there...

20200920_184342_resized.jpg

20200920_184353_resized.jpg

20200920_184357_resized (1).jpg
20200920_184357_resized.jpg

Just got a Wyze Pan camera so I can keep an eye on tank while at work. With lots of blues, a bit harder to see but I will test when more whites are on. Should be able to open sump doors and pan down. Aside from swimming fish, I can see the gyre flows and the return pumps and the lights. Not sure if this is the best quality but I like that it pans.

Video is night with moon lighting and 1 office light. Figure I'll test it for a week or so to see if worth it. Wish I could zoom. 2nd video is lights off with just moon

No set up of ato lol's. Spent day doing xmas! PO4 back to .06 Will retest tomorrow in case I need to pull the phosguard and boyd's elite out. No 3 is between 5 and 10.

Tank almost at the 2 month mark and I couldn't be more happier. I do realize things can go to hell fast but I'm doing my best to keep on top of everything. Had a bit of an issue with heaters. Tank got down to 74 so purchased another heater. Had a finnex 500w and a 100 w which had been fine. Added another 500 w. Need to take out the finnex and test it to see if it is working. No light on it. Tank holding at 76.5 which is fine. Guess time to turn house heater on...

Upped the lights to 80/20 with a 4 hr ramp up and down. On at 9 off at 10. Sunday if not called in to work will be a maintenance day. Noticing that since I moved the UV return to the skimmer area and upped the flow to 40, not so much algae on glass. Prob. will increase to 45. Ordered more tubing so I can move the UV pump into the main sump area--pump feeds the manifold located in the second chamber over the extra sump so have to run the tubing to the manifold as the UV is at the end of it. Then I'll have room for my reactor in that chamber. If I don't need to get rowaphos going again, maybe I'll put carbon in there.

A couple videos today. My goni is so incredible. After years of not being able to keep one alive, this is just so dang special and awesome. Can't believe how tall it is getting. Also a video of my sps's. Again, the PE is incredible. I can't tell the difference between the birds nests and the poccillipora coral. I know the bright green is lime green birds nest but there should be some regular and then the poccillipora. I'm thinking the pocc is the darker coral. The purple stylo is also incredible.

Used my new orphek aquarium lens to take the video. What a difference!! Thanks SS!

You really worked your rear off this last year... ;) Well deserved...:)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really worked your rear off this last year... ;) Well deserved...:)
what a nice tank in a nutshell from the old disaster to the new dream tank. I think we tend to forget the work involved to fix a tank out of control lol's. Work and sheer dogged determination lol's. I'll add another pic here from the 125 to show the then --your posts--and now--now being in september, a year later when I had the tank nearly perfect. New tank a month later! A bit of irony that I upgrade to get the tank I wanted just when the tank I settled for was looking and doing so great -smh-. Pic has some of my new corals in it and the killer leather gone (hence new lps and sps surviving!).
20210806_152045.jpg

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow your tank is looking great! I'm a UC Merced student starting up my 3rd reef tank, a Fluval EVO 13.5. Would love to visit such a huge tank! And maybe get a coralline donation haha

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my tank cleaning--sand and glass. Managed to knock off one of the tonga rock branches that went in glued from breaking... And 2 frags. Ugh! If that branch breaks again, I'll have to use putty and super glue.

Ran my dosing lines. Will hook up the doser and calibrate. Have to sort of guess on tubing length but should be close enough as I know where I want the doser to go. Also hooked up the apex probes and calibrated.

Removed the finnex heater, put it in the sink with a digital therm. and yep, it's dead. Have a 500 w new heater in there and a 100w heater. Need to order a new finnex to go with that controller.

Also put some command broom holders and other hooks and shower containers in hall shower as that is my fish room lol's. We don't use that shower so it is now home to my equipment!

Took a bunch of pics with the new phone lenses. Now to start my record of coral growth
Long days of work this week. Ugh!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow your tank is looking great! I'm a UC Merced student starting up my 3rd reef tank, a Fluval EVO 13.5. Would love to visit such a huge tank! And maybe get a coralline donation haha
lol's. I hope you know the tank pic above is the old tank which I just took down and have for sale! New tank is much nicer and I'd be happy to share coraline! It's starting on all the gyres and mp 40's. thank god not on the glass yet!

here is the most recent full tank shot. Room is so small I can't get the cabinet in the shot
20211203_210239.jpg
20211203_210257.jpg

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got a lot accomplished. Hate when frags are knocked off...but it seems inevitable. Tank is coming along very nicely! Glad you're getting Apex experience..wink .wink..I'm sure I'll need some help setting mine up.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a nice tank in a nutshell from the old disaster to the new dream tank. I think we tend to forget the work involved to fix a tank out of control lol's. Work and sheer dogged determination lol's. I'll add another pic here from the 125 to show the then --your posts--and now--now being in september, a year later when I had the tank nearly perfect. New tank a month later! A bit of irony that I upgrade to get the tank I wanted just when the tank I settled for was looking and doing so great -smh-. Pic has some of my new corals in it and the killer leather gone (hence new lps and sps surviving!).
20210806_152045.jpg

your car always runs best on the way to trade it in. lol

when I sold my first 240 it looked fantastic.

new setup is looking good. Can’t wait to get my 625xxl setup in my fish room once it’s built.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back