OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok, ok... Not a Bond inspired name but this is Lurch!

20211130_195418.jpg

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My best friend decided to show up, unannounced this afternoon, so we could keep each other company, and this is what she walked in to see

20220107_201257.jpg

Pardon the mess and my super comfy, baggy lounge clothes!!! This is my most recently "established" build, and this area of the house is just off from the den/family room where the wood stove and 55g are.
This tank is coming along slowly, as it's the largest tank I've ever owned and I'm really taking my time.
Long sappy post starts here, so click away if you don't care, I won't be offended.
My best friend, Kristen, is a girl I ride motorcycles with, and her mom was a cancer patient who coincidentally became a patient at the practice where I work. I've known Kristen for years, but just met her mother about 6 months ago, after a hospitalization where she met the Doc I work for. Her mom was suffering greatly from a very aggressive cancer, and I was just talking about her at work yesterday.
Kristen's mom passed away at home with her today.
The last time I saw her, Kristen's mom cried and hugged me and just looked at me with a gratitude in her eyes I've never seen or felt before.
I am so very thankful for this hobby and all you guys keeping me company, sane, and finding something that gives me something uplifting to focus on. Something I am able to learn about at home and contribute to the mental health and joy my patients express when they come into a very scary place.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best friend decided to show up, unannounced this afternoon, so we could keep each other company, and this is what she walked in to see

20220107_201257.jpg

Pardon the mess and my super comfy, baggy lounge clothes!!! This is my most recently "established" build, and this area of the house is just off from the den/family room where the wood stove and 55g are.
This tank is coming along slowly, as it's the largest tank I've ever owned and I'm really taking my time.
Long sappy post starts here, so click away if you don't care, I won't be offended.
My best friend, Kristen, is a girl I ride motorcycles with, and her mom was a cancer patient who coincidentally became a patient at the practice where I work. I've known Kristen for years, but just met her mother about 6 months ago, after a hospitalization where she met the Doc I work for. Her mom was suffering greatly from a very aggressive cancer, and I was just talking about her at work yesterday.
Kristen's mom passed away at home with her today.
The last time I saw her, Kristen's mom cried and hugged me and just looked at me with a gratitude in her eyes I've never seen or felt before.
I am so very thankful for this hobby and all you guys keeping me company, sane, and finding something that gives me something uplifting to focus on. Something I am able to learn about at home and contribute to the mental health and joy my patients express when they come into a very scary place.
About that picture. You really (not) play it safe ;)
Safety First GIF by Mammoet Merchandise

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome job caring for the aquarium. Looks like you are off to a great start. This hobby needs more women touch. I am also in NJ and if you ever need more corals or need to bounce ideas, I would definitely be up for it.

On a lighter note, you do need a taller ladder and a magnet cleaner :)

sam

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ore tunze one. That is really hit my sweet spot since I have it.
Tunze Care Magnet Strong Plus 0222.025, 0.4 kg

I do have that tunze on this tank. But, being that I bought this tank used, there are a lot of scratches inside, some are fairly deep. I'm guessing he had sand under his scraper.
I have to go in with the glass sponges to get the algae out of the scratches.

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
While I was shoulder deep in the tank doing that last water change, I noticed spots of silicone starting to peel ever so slightly on the front right, vertical seam.
This makes me so anxious! This is an older tank that wasn't given the proper love and care it deserved. I am just worried about the seams bursting one day and I'm left with a huge disaster.
I think that means it's time to take a break from the live sales and start putting whatever I would have spent, away towards an upgrade.
Keeping my eyes peeled for a good local-ish deal on a better quality, used 120-180g. I can't afford to think about getting one new, as much as I would absolutely LOVE a new tank, that's just not financially feasible for me.
I will still be a live sale hype girl! And ready at the drop of the hat to help win GC!! But I'm gonna have to use some serious willpower not to buy any more coral until I can upgrade.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wanna post a few good pics of seam ?
peeling silicone is mainly an eyesore,anything between panels would be a problem...;)

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
wanna post a few good pics of seam ?
peeling silicone is mainly an eyesore,anything between panels would be a problem...;)
I'll see what I can do when I get home!
It doesn't seem critical now, but I don't want to get to that point, either.
It's not an urgent matter currently, but I want to start putting away for an upgrade now and hopefully within a year or so I'll find one I really love.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see what I can do when I get home!
It doesn't seem critical now, but I don't want to get to that point, either.
It's not an urgent matter currently, but I want to start putting away for an upgrade now and hopefully within a year or so I'll find one I really love.
230 is a really size .
problem being elbow deep isn’t far enough to reach the bottom .

I still haven’t found a way to reach the back bottom corners yet .
72”x27”x27”

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
20220205_090140-01.jpeg

Just a little quick update!!
Added roughly 25 pieces in here from @RiptideAquaculture!
My élégance is stunning !! I might need more...
20220205_090656.jpg

Have a little micro garden going on, too!
I'll have to get some more close ups!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was shoulder deep in the tank doing that last water change, I noticed spots of silicone starting to peel ever so slightly on the front right, vertical seam.
This makes me so anxious! This is an older tank that wasn't given the proper love and care it deserved. I am just worried about the seams bursting one day and I'm left with a huge disaster.
I think that means it's time to take a break from the live sales and start putting whatever I would have spent, away towards an upgrade.
Keeping my eyes peeled for a good local-ish deal on a better quality, used 120-180g. I can't afford to think about getting one new, as much as I would absolutely LOVE a new tank, that's just not financially feasible for me.
I will still be a live sale hype girl! And ready at the drop of the hat to help win GC!! But I'm gonna have to use some serious willpower not to buy any more coral until I can upgrade.
20220205_090140-01.jpeg

20220205_090656.jpg

So much for the willpower.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220205_090140-01.jpeg

20220205_090656.jpg

Wow …
Looks amazing !
elegance corals have always been one of my favourite lps .

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back