swallowtail angel sex change to male questions

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MALE Masked swallowtail have always been a Genicanthus that I want. Recently they have been back to market after for like 2-3 years. Though the masked swallowtail is now available, it is very limited and expensive. Hence I can probably only purchase a single female Masked swallowtail.

Qs: Will getting a female masked swallowtail and a smaller, submissive female regualr swallowtail allow the Masked swallowtail to sex change into a male?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MALE Masked swallowtail have always been a Genicanthus that I want. Recently they have been back to market after for like 2-3 years. Though the masked swallowtail is now available, it is very limited and expensive. Hence I can probably only purchase a single female Masked swallowtail.

Qs: Will getting a female masked swallowtail and a smaller, submissive female regualr swallowtail allow the Masked swallowtail to sex change into a male?
It may however there is still the chance the regular swallowtail will become the male.
Even getting a male Masked may end up with him reverting if the Regular is more dominant.
It’ll be best getting two juvenile Masked Swallowtails.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may however there is still the chance the regular swallowtail will become the male.
Even getting a male Masked may end up with him reverting if the Regular is more dominant.
It’ll be best getting two juvenile Masked Swallowtails.
Do you think I would have a bigger chance if I introduce the Masked swallowtail first and let it establish for a few months before adding the female swallowtail?

Also, I forgot to mention that I have whats probably a submale (slightly orange) Bellus angel. Would that be affecting it to a certain extent?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I would have a bigger chance if I introduce the Masked swallowtail first and let it establish for a few months before adding the female swallowtail?

Also, I forgot to mention that I have whats probably a submale (slightly orange) Bellus angel. Would that be affecting it to a certain extent?
Honestly, with these angels nothing will be 100%.
with a submale already in there that will reduce chances - a female will most likely cause the full transition for the bellus.
As for if you were to add the masked first, chances are you’ll end up with a mature Bellus and a female masked swallowtail.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, with these angels nothing will be 100%.
with a submale already in there that will reduce chances - a female will most likely cause the full transition for the bellus.
As for if you were to add the masked first, chances are you’ll end up with a mature Bellus and a female masked swallowtail.
I will honestly remove the bellus until the masked changed into a male if i have to LOL.

another question, is it possible to have a male bellus and a male masked in the same tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will honestly remove the bellus until the masked changed into a male if i have to LOL.

another question, is it possible to have a male bellus and a male masked in the same tank?
It depends on the tank size, male angels (or even males of any fish) tend to fight eachother. If the tank is large enough then they could coexist long term.

Back