Swallowtail Angels

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pair of Swallowtail angels that made it through copper 30+ days and 2 rounds of Prazi 7 days apart. No visible signs of any diseases during QT. Now in observation, both periodically will flash repeatedly on their nose area against the pvc in QT and will also do a head twitch. Sounds like it could still be flukes. Did a 5 min dip with saltwater but with salinity down to 1.012. Didn’t see anything in the container that looked like flukes but thinking it might be the undetectable types. Any advice on next steps? Thinking of trying hypo for 30 days. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have a pair of Swallowtail angels that made it through copper 30+ days and 2 rounds of Prazi 7 days apart. No visible signs of any diseases during QT. Now in observation, both periodically will flash repeatedly on their nose area against the pvc in QT and will also do a head twitch. Sounds like it could still be flukes. Did a 5 min dip with saltwater but with salinity down to 1.012. Didn’t see anything in the container that looked like flukes but thinking it might be the undetectable types. Any advice on next steps? Thinking of trying hypo for 30 days. Thanks.
These may be neobendendia flukes which dont respond well to prazi and best with hyposalinity but also they are large enough that you would see them.
It may very well be flukes and may require a third treatment. Typical treatment is with one dosage known as interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite.
Typical Hypo is 1.009 not 1.012

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, was going to give Prazi another shot. Guess it can’t hurt. If still no luck will then do hypo.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.012 may not be low enough to dislodge flukes like pure FW will do.
Hyposalinity for 30 days would work if it is flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I’m doing another round of Prazi. Will see if that does it. If not hypo it is. And for hypo, 1.012 is OK for the 30 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I’m doing another round of Prazi. Will see if that does it. If not hypo it is. And for hypo, 1.012 is OK for the 30 days?
Yes, 1.012 for flukes. 1.009 is for ich, and more stressful.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back