Swallowtail (possible brook)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acriflavin dip and the triple thread meds are really all that can be done at this point. They need time to work. This is most likely gram negative which is a shame since they are so difficult to treat and fast moving. There are other meds to try, but these haven't had any real chance to work yet.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acriflavin dip and the triple thread meds are really all that can be done at this point. They need time to work. This is most likely gram negative which is a shame since they are so difficult to treat and fast moving. There are other meds to try, but these haven't had any real chance to work yet.

That fish is a goner, but I'd put her in a 5 gal bucket with acriflavine just to try to slow this down. :(

While she's in the bucket, try to apply some Neosporin (yes, you heard me right) directly to the red areas. It's her only hope at this point.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I don't think i have ever seem humble type that? I'm guessing there's an extremely low survival rate from this?

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now she's in qt with furan 2, metro, kanaplex and copper (still bringing levels up) . Should I take her out and put her back in Acriflavine bath?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I don't think i have ever seem humble type that? I'm guessing there's an extremely low survival rate from this?

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I have a very low success rate saving fish from aggressive, gram negative bacterial infections. It's something I'm still trying to figure out. :confused:

How's the fish doing/looking this morning?

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries humblefish. She's looking better. The redness has subsided, she's alert and EATING. I have the copper levels up over 2 ppms (api kit). I will have it to 4 by the end of the day.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries humblefish. She's looking better. The redness has subsided, she's alert and EATING. I have the copper levels up over 2 ppms (api kit). I will have it to 4 by the end of the day.

Nice! Which antibiotics are you using?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I'm not as familiar with coppersafe, but I thought most people were aiming for 2.5? Is 4 going to be too high?

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, not sure. The dose on the box is 5ml/4 gal of water. She'd in a 10 g tank, I'm on have 7 ml in the water now. Yes, please advise. I was going by the dosage on the box.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2, kanaplex, Metroplex, coppersafe

The triple threat (Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex) is a good choice for treating bacterial infections. Keep at it for a minimum of 10 days; 14 days might be better in this situation due to the severity of this infection.

Wait, I'm not as familiar with coppersafe, but I thought most people were aiming for 2.5? Is 4 going to be too high?
Good catch. You want to hold the line right around 2ppm when using Coppersafe. For some reason, Copper Power advises a therapeutic dosage of 2.5ppm.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's she doing? Any improvement?

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's about the same as yesterday. The dorsal fin is still in bad shape. She is swimming more and she's eating really good. I give her PE mysis , I feed her one piece at a time until I think she's full. I think she ate like 8 pieces this morning.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is a goner, but I'd put her in a 5 gal bucket with acriflavine just to try to slow this down. :(

While she's in the bucket, try to apply some Neosporin (yes, you heard me right) directly to the red areas. It's her only hope at this point.

I have been thinking about doing this procedure. What are your thoughts on it? I think she's do well other than that dorsal fin. She's eating and she's swimming a bit more. Any thoughts? I am going to do a 25% water change due to the Furan-2 directions. I will start that second round of treatments tomorrow. ALong with that I will start the second round of Kanaplex and Metroplex. Should I do another acriflavine bath on her as well? I will post pictures of her later when I get home.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the furan-2 instructions. Just do a 25% water change before dosing all three meds every 48 hours.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back