OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to update. Tank's been cycling since Monday, light arrived. Looks like a bristle and a stomatella hitchhiked on over, they're both alive still. I've decided I'm going to be moving a few things over from the big tank that are either living on my frag rack, or keep getting relocated by my urchin. I also found a few aiptasia on the rock from my big tank sump. I have an order of berg nudis placed to arrive the end of next week to knock those out.

Once it's time: I will be moving over my small pink/blue alveopora, my utter chaos that are getting overrun by everyone else, a watermelon chalice that isn't a huge fan of the big tank, an orange echinata i got for free that's been living in the frag rack because the urchin ripped it off of every place I tried to cement it in, and a couple mushrooms that the urchin keeps moving around (it targets 2 of them over and over). I think I'll get a rainbow pocillopora eventually as well. I'm also looking for a nice cyphastrea to put on my buddha. I'm watching for more zoas to add into the mix and if anything strikes me I'll probably purchase it sooner and just pop it in the frag rack in the big tank. I'm also a sucker for RFAs so I may have to find a nice one to pop in.

I think I may end up adding a fish in the long run as well as a small sexy shrimp for the RFA. I'm thinking about watching for one of the smaller fang blenny species - a harptail or a kamohara. Once they grow they can be moved into the 90.

A photo:
IMG_20200904_115411.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No changes, I've been testing and appear to be cycled already? Maybe because it's such a small volume with 4yr old live rock? I popped that acan echinata over to see what happens as well as a random hermit I pulled. Echinata is FLUFFY after a couple hours. Going to let these two hang out until the nudis are here and go from there.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still doing well, dropped the tiniest amount of coral feast in there for the coral since there's not much in the way of nutrients right now. Still fluffy and happy from what I can see. First water change happening tomorrow. Starting to see a tiny bit of algae growth so I moved a snail over as well.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to update. Tank's been cycling since Monday, light arrived. Looks like a bristle and a stomatella hitchhiked on over, they're both alive still. I've decided I'm going to be moving a few things over from the big tank that are either living on my frag rack, or keep getting relocated by my urchin. I also found a few aiptasia on the rock from my big tank sump. I have an order of berg nudis placed to arrive the end of next week to knock those out.

Once it's time: I will be moving over my small pink/blue alveopora, my utter chaos that are getting overrun by everyone else, a watermelon chalice that isn't a huge fan of the big tank, an orange echinata i got for free that's been living in the frag rack because the urchin ripped it off of every place I tried to cement it in, and a couple mushrooms that the urchin keeps moving around (it targets 2 of them over and over). I think I'll get a rainbow pocillopora eventually as well. I'm also looking for a nice cyphastrea to put on my buddha. I'm watching for more zoas to add into the mix and if anything strikes me I'll probably purchase it sooner and just pop it in the frag rack in the big tank. I'm also a sucker for RFAs so I may have to find a nice one to pop in.

I think I may end up adding a fish in the long run as well as a small sexy shrimp for the RFA. I'm thinking about watching for one of the smaller fang blenny species - a harptail or a kamohara. Once they grow they can be moved into the 90.

A photo:
IMG_20200904_115411.jpg
Loving this tank!
Sexy shrimp are so cool, definitely one of my favorites.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this tank!
Sexy shrimp are so cool, definitely one of my favorites.

I love them! I can't keep them in my big tank because I have a few nippy wrasse

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m afraid to add mine from the quarantine to my 60 cube because I’m afraid one of my fish will eat them. I may keep
The 10 gallon quarantine set up just for them.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I've moved a few things over, I added a harptail blenny (who has so much personality it's ridiculous) and a sexy shrimp. I moved a number of mushrooms over who are just chilling on the bottom of the tank for now. I also moved a few zoas in who seem pleased. That acan echinata is still doing well. I added a tumor to Buddha's back so that it can encrust. I still have a few corals in the large tank I plan on moving over but I'm taking it slow. There is some algae growth which you can see in the photo, hopefully the snail and hermit will get a move on controlling that.

IMG_20200914_123115.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail wiped out Buddha's lap algae overnight. Hermit knocked some stuff around, I'll need to glue/epoxy them in this weekend if they still seem happy enough.

Going to add some filter floss to the back as well (currently just have a chemipure blue nano bag back there)

Nudis knocked the aiptasia down from 15 to 3 in a week so far. (rock came from the sump of my large tank - display gets weekly treatment + peppermint shrimp)
IMG_20200915_171304.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
-Echinata seems to think it's too bright, lost some orange and turned more green - still very fluffy.
-Cyphastrea is spreading around the edges of the plug, should be on Buddha soon.
-Couple new heads on the zoas already.
-Mushrooms seem happy.

Photo for fun: Little mushroom baby peeking out, that's new.
IMG_20200925_151353.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20201002_124729.jpg

Another photo update. Seem to be doing well, decent progress. The chalice that was not stoked to be in the large tank is slowly recovering in this one. I am running at basically 85-90% water change once a week, chemi-pure blue nano packet in the back with some filter floss, and 3 drops of easybooster phyto daily (may increase this over time). Plus a couple flakes of omega one marine for the blenny, hermit, and sexy shrimp. I think this week I'll run a scraper down the back for that algae the snails are ignoring (they're doing a better job with the front, sides, and bottom though)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is looking so good!! I love the look of the actual tank. It's very sleek. I want to start a 5g. Do they have a range of smaller tanks? I haven't checked their site yet.

Also... What light did you buy for it? I read through the thread but can't seem to find which one you got. Was it the pico version of the light on your bigger tank? Also.... Can you post a pic with a soda/pop can or something next to it for scale? I have a hard time visualizing how small these tanks are. Haha.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is looking so good!! I love the look of the actual tank. It's very sleek. I want to start a 5g. Do they have a range of smaller tanks? I haven't checked their site yet.

Also... What light did you buy for it? I read through the thread but can't seem to find which one you got. Was it the pico version of the light on your bigger tank? Also.... Can you post a pic with a soda/pop can or something next to it for scale? I have a hard time visualizing how small these tanks are. Haha.

I'll get a size comparison photo for you tomorrow. I ended up going with the Aquaknight V2 for the light, it's quiet and very powerful from what I can tell - and I can adjust the 3 spectrums which was a plus for me. I don't have the tools to measure the actual par though.

I'm actually not sure if there are more sizes of this tank than what I purchased... this one I believe was advertised as 3 gallons? I fit about 2.5 in it.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a size comparison photo for you tomorrow. I ended up going with the Aquaknight V2 for the light, it's quiet and very powerful from what I can tell - and I can adjust the 3 spectrums which was a plus for me. I don't have the tools to measure the actual par though.

I'm actually not sure if there are more sizes of this tank than what I purchased... this one I believe was advertised as 3 gallons? I fit about 2.5 in it.
Excellent. Thank you!! I'm going to check out that light now. I was going to get the Fluval Spec V (5g) but it's meant for FW so the light isn't entirely suitable for a reef setup (would be fine for FOWLR) so I'm looking for a suitable light to swap out. Having said that now that I see your tank I'm hoping they have a 5g (or maybe 7g or 8g). Haha.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pic showing scale but no rush for that. Whenever you have time. I can't wait to see this tank grow out!

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thank you!! I'm going to check out that light now. I was going to get the Fluval Spec V (5g) but it's meant for FW so the light isn't entirely suitable for a reef setup (would be fine for FOWLR) so I'm looking for a suitable light to swap out. Having said that now that I see your tank I'm hoping they have a 5g (or maybe 7g or 8g). Haha.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pic showing scale but no rush for that. Whenever you have time. I can't wait to see this tank grow out!
Have you checked out Petco? They have a few tanks, that are nice looking, and would make excellent pico/nano tanks.
I've been considering this one myself.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out Petco? They have a few tanks, that are nice looking, and would make excellent pico/nano tanks.
I've been considering this one myself.
Thanks for this! I'm in Canada and we don't have Petco here (not where I am at least). PetSmart is where I saw the Fluval but haven't had the chance to check their full lineup. We also have Big Al's here so I have to check them out as well. I'm sure we have some independent stores around here that might have tanks as well. You guys definitely have much more in the way of choices down there (equipment, tanks, livestock, etc). I'm envious! Haha.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I'm in Canada and we don't have Petco here (not where I am at least). PetSmart is where I saw the Fluval but haven't had the chance to check their full lineup. We also have Big Al's here so I have to check them out as well. I'm sure we have some independent stores around here that might have tanks as well. You guys definitely have much more in the way of choices down there (equipment, tanks, livestock, etc). I'm envious! Haha.
Sorry, didn't realize you were up north. Because I'm bored, this one would look good topless.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, didn't realize you were up north. Because I'm bored, this one would look good topless.
No apologies necessary. Heck I sometimes apologize to myself for living here when I see how much more you guys have down there (big box and independent)!! Haha!! I drove to Buffalo once just to shop at Petco.

THANKS so much for finding this tank!! Wow... That is amazing and looks like the OP's. I probably would've missed this. I plan to head there Saturday so this is perfect timing. Hmmm if I give you my equipment list will you source it for me? Haha.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No apologies necessary. Heck I sometimes apologize to myself for living here when I see how much more you guys have down there (big box and independent)!! Haha!! I drove to Buffalo once just to shop at Petco.

THANKS so much for finding this tank!! Wow... That is amazing and looks like the OP's. I probably would've missed this. I plan to head there Saturday so this is perfect timing. Hmmm if I give you my equipment list will you source it for me? Haha.
Absolutely. I love searching for the best deals on products.
And you are most welcome.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay! Full moon in retail management wiped my memory.

No soda cans, but a beer can should do the trick.

Forgive the algae, it's water change day and I'm running behind because our waterline had a leak (literally right outside the meter box so it's our responsibility instead of the city) so we had to deal with that first.

IMG_20201004_140718.jpg

IMG_20201004_140710.jpg

This is a photo of the area in general, it's hard to get good lighting because my office is basically a witch den.

IMG_20200904_200326.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Headed back home today, first time I've left the little tank for more than a night. We left town on Wednesday. Did an extra water change that morning, but mostly I'm concerned for the blenny without food for 4 days. Why does this have to be so nervewracking! I should have moved the camera to watch this tank, not the 90....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 107 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back