Lifegard 4.1 pico tank

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running out of pics for spamming and the tank lights are off!!!!! May have to resort to fuge pics.
0235F80C-6CBE-4A73-8DB4-14288B44752C.jpeg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pico seems happy and stable. Need to get a fish in there to control that pod population. Tomorrow is water change day, I'll clean up the glass then. Look at how clear that water surface is!
PXL_20210227_174756201.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done an info update on either tank in awhile, here's whats happening with the pico:

1. Added black sand, no regrets.
2. Weekly water change (nearly 100%) comes from the main tank, not freshly mixed water. Sticks are doing much better this way.
3. Added a small powerhead, tried to program it special but every time the power flickers (we've been doing a lot of electrical so we're turning it on and off all the time) it resets to default, so now it stays on default.
4. Scrapped the return that came with it, added a tidal 35 hob because I was getting a ton of surface scum. I run this on full blast, with the way this tank has a back chamber it dulls the excessive flow down a bit and works perfectly for what I need it to do.
5. Plugged my volume into the moonshiner manual calculator and realized my daily dose is .03ml for daily elements in this tank. Conveniently that is approximately 1 drop. All dailies have been put in blue dropper bottles and I've been dosing for about 2 weeks in this tank. Sticks are even happier.

I have not added any additional corals to this tank and I have no plans to add more from where I'm currently sitting. Just letting everything grow and spread.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my eye on an IM tank pretty much the same size as this one. These rounded front edges are driving me insane to try and scrape and I really want a screen lid instead of this glass one, but finding something that will work with the rounded front is proving difficult.

PXL_20210319_155915179.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found my replacement tank, but I'm going to wait to get that ball rolling until I finish up the big tank transfer. This one will end up being a size upgrade as well if it measures out to fill the area. Going from "3 gallons" to "4.1 gallons" but I have to make sure it fits in this cabinet, and the rock will still fit in it, etc.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger on the Lifegard 4.1 - I was going to wait but I'm pretty sure it can get here and this transferred over before the new tank comes to do the big transfer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start with a diy screen lid and if I hate it I'll commission octoaquatics or kraken reef to make me a fancy one. At least this way I'll have something while I wait for build time anyway.

Also going to use some plexi to make my own back cover.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back