Swap my 2 heaters?

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to add a second heater to my new reef, as the temps drop. The main heater is an Eheim Jaegger 100w, and the backup is a Fluval 150w mirror finish.

Heater 1 is set to about 77* on the heater itself, and the Apex outlet is set to 77.5-80*.

Heater 2 is set to about 80* so it's almost always on internally, but off at the Apex. The Apex outlet is set to 76.5 - 77.5

The main heater, at 100w, can't keep the temp stable, and as such, the temp drops till the backup turns on, then the temps come right on to normal.

Would it be wise to make the 150w heater my main heater, and use the Eheim as the backup in case temps drop too low?

Screenshot 2022-09-29 114504.png

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they have so many on and off cycles in their life; then Yes. Also in milder temperatures, you may want to switch them back.

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they have so many on and off cycles in their life; then Yes. Also in milder temperatures, you may want to switch them back.
That's another thing. The main heater is using it's internal thermostat for regulation. I see a lot of people saying to let the Apex do the regulation but I don't want the relays for those 2 sockets to burn out.

When it's warmer out, I have problems keeping my tanks cool, so they won't have any heaters in the summer.

The room the tank is in also houses the house thermostat, and a gas burning stove. The pilot light in the stove keeps the stove warm, and in turn, that room is about 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, I'd swap them in the cooler temperatures, to prevent the relays from burning out prematurely. I might also set a much wider temp cutuoff and add a second temp regulator, such as an inkbird, some of which have wifi controllability. You can also skip using the Apex relays all together, by adding in an auto aqua smart temp and simply use the Apex for remote controllability. IMO, AIO controllers and thermostats don't mix.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Ranco temp controllers but my method is on my primary unit the temp is set to 77°F with a 1° differential and the secondary is set to 77° F with a 2° differential .

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ranco, Honeywell and Johnson Controls, Temperature Controls, have a really long Switching Life's. In my HVAC Trade years, I’ve never had one the Internal Switches Failed. Zapped from Lightening or Utility. And have been ruin from getting wet.

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I swapped them and so far the results are amazing. Today the tank held temperature throughout the entire day, within a range of .3 degrees. The secondary heater, now the 100w, didn't come on at all today. So I am thinking the 150w heater will actually save a bit of money in the long run because it doesn't need to stay on nearly as long

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back