SWC DeNitrator as a Carbon Reactor

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SWC 140 DeNitrator that I would like to use for Carbon. Has anyone ever done this? If so photos would be nice. I have never used any type of media reactor, denitrator or calcium reactor. I have always trusted dosing but would like to run carbon.

Seems rather simple to set up for the use of carbon. What do you guys think?
Gary

The photo is from SWC but this is the same piece of equipment that I have.
8.jpg

Last edited:

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gary

Running Carbon thru a reactor is one of the best ways only you have to be very carefull cause it will clear the water so much that your light will penetrat more and burn corals

That said the flow thru the reactor has to be very slow like when you run phosban media
Thats why is more the phosban reactor peolpe use to run carbon cause it has a valve near the pump to control the water passing thru the carbon

I dont see a valve in the picture of that reactor

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to remove the recirculating plumbing or detach the pump and cap it off at the union and have the pump feed into the top center port. I would also remove the JG fittings at the top and replace with a little bigger ones. Basically all you need is the water to enter the center port and it will go down the grey tube and then up through the sponge carbon and exit out the port on the right. The recirculation will move the water through the carbon too quickly and you need slower flow like eggie said.

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use it very easily as a media reactor. You can run it with or without using the recirculation pump. You will have to use a shut off valve or cap off the input fitting goint into the pump or the center fitting that directs the water downward in the reactor. The output on the left and cap off the remaining port. I would use the center fitting in the lid for the feed and place a JohnGuest shutoff fitting on the pumps inlet so you can drain the reactor easily.

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I greatly appreciate the information. I was not exactly sure what would be the best way to go about it but now I have an idea. I have some smaller pumps that I may try out. If that does not work then I will rig up a valve to cut down on the preasure.

Unfortunately, the tube inside of the reactor does not go all the way to the top. Ill take some photos along the way for suggestions.
Thanks again!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back