Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing that @Sallstrom is a crazy Swede and also knowing he hangs out with crazier Swede @Lasse , I'm inclined to think he just throws a few chunks of this into his sumps! :p

iron-ore-lumps-500x500.jpg
No - it releases iron too slowly - untreated pure iron nuts are better :D

1578051025485.png

When I had freshwater tanks with plants in the stone age - we often use this untreated iron nuts as iron sources :D I´m sure it works as well in Saltwater - but it need to be untreated iron. It will probably catch some phosphorus too (win - win)

Sincerely Lasse

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - it releases iron too slowly - untreated pure iron nuts are better :D

1578051025485.png

When I had freshwater tanks with plants in the stone age - we often use this untreated iron nuts as iron sources :D I´m sure it works as well in Saltwater - but it need to be untreated iron. It will probably catch some phosphorus too (win - win)

Sincerely Lasse

I've used these for phosphate reduction on old reused rocks. Works like a charm.
9200000077448070.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a question, so no I don't know. Bummer
Ah, I thought there may have been a specific piece of information a spectrometer might help find. I have access to one so that isn't a problem, just not sure what benefit it would have over an ESM.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used these for phosphate reduction on old reused rocks. Works like a charm.
9200000077448070.jpg

GFO - Granular Ferric Oxide -> Ferric Oxide = the most common form of rust - I´m not surprised that it worked

Sincerely Lasse

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO - Granular Ferric Oxide -> Ferric Oxide = the most common form of rust - I´m not surprised that it worked

Sincerely Lasse

I wasn't surprised as well (only a bit about how effective it actually worked), but some thought I was nuts for even thinking about using something like this. I am always glad to see there are other people that can think outside the box and do unconventional things.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No presents for getting up to 100 pages?? :p

The work at the Aquarium and the museum is starting up now after all the Christmas holidays. This coming weeks the construction company will get here and establish their stuff and start to dig out the large hole in the ground that will eventually become the new Aquarium.
In the mean time we, the Aquarium staff, work on the time schedule for the coming years. Lots of equipment will be bought and have to be delivered at the right time. The same with work that will be done installing everything. We have limited time from the day we get access to the new Aquarium to the opening day, so we need to use the time we get as well as possible if we don't want to throw in the fishes the night before the opening..

We're also working on breeding tuxedo urchins! :) The last try didn't go all the way, so yesterday my colleague got them to spawn again in a bath with warmer water and started up new cultures. Hopefully we will get it more right this time.

The coral spawning system is still waiting for GHL and Tunze equipment, so nothing new there.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 pages is awesome! Congratulations! I have been watching to steal the 2,000th post, LOL!
Oh, I didn’t think of the number of post. 2000 is close!! Thanks for letting me know. We’ll see who gets it.. ;)

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was taking down and rebuilding a frag system with somepiping between the tanks.
A few things hit me.
The pipes that was leading water for water changes (1 each day) had almost no growth inside. My water change water goes from coral tank system to frag tank system to fish sell system and at last the quarantine.
The pipes for circulation water that had been off for 24 hours was dead inside and smelled a bit like hydrogen sulfide.
That made me to think. I will try to switch of the circulation outside of the tanks for 24 hours each month to prevent growing calcerous tubular worms and vermetids in the pipes.

And for a larger scale as Yours I would consider to have double pipes for circulation between tanks. Shift the tubes in work each month and rinse out the old water from the tube before taking it in work again. In that way all buildup in the tube will die in the month with no circulation. (Or maybe dry) All problems with the growing inside the piping would be gone.

What do You think about the idea?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was taking down and rebuilding a frag system with somepiping between the tanks.
A few things hit me.
The pipes that was leading water for water changes (1 each day) had almost no growth inside. My water change water goes from coral tank system to frag tank system to fish sell system and at last the quarantine.
The pipes for circulation water that had been off for 24 hours was dead inside and smelled a bit like hydrogen sulfide.
That made me to think. I will try to switch of the circulation outside of the tanks for 24 hours each month to prevent growing calcerous tubular worms and vermetids in the pipes.

And for a larger scale as Yours I would consider to have double pipes for circulation between tanks. Shift the tubes in work each month and rinse out the old water from the tube before taking it in work again. In that way all buildup in the tube will die in the month with no circulation. (Or maybe dry) All problems with the growing inside the piping would be gone.

What do You think about the idea?
I really like the simplicity in that idea!! And it’s logic too. Instead of using chemicals “use” oxygen depletion to get rid of animals living inside the pipes.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Geez! How did I miss this. ;)
I like the new look. Keep us posted on how those well known brand pumps work out for you ;)

I know many of you like pumps :D so here’s a short post on how we restored/upgraded a Deltec skimmer (SC 3070 internal I think is the name of the skimmer).
First I ordered new DC pumps directly from Deltec, and asked for pumps that would fit in their skimmer. The old pumps were AC and we want to switch over to DC pumps.
It turned out that we still needed to rebuild the outlet(after the pumps, in the skimmer), but it just took some pvc glue and 5 minutes of work.
The pumps look very much like a another well known brand... ;)
The air tubes had to be extended a bit too.
8B34F95E-CDF4-491F-88AC-005D88BB2961.jpeg
18B0130F-C0F3-4E34-B8C8-FEA75301142F.jpeg

Next we needed to fix a new way to control the water level inside the skimmer, because we broke the old screw thing that was on the skimmer outlet.
I tried a very inexpensive method, and it worked out fine :)
99E9C51C-2871-41F4-9905-6DA98BAFEDFA.jpeg

A pvc pipe with a 45 degree ending to put inside the outlet pipe.
7B710467-A89D-4F2E-AE1D-BACA706F6656.jpeg

The outlet “fully opened “

D22980E7-BFB3-44AB-8D52-348ED6E68F7C.jpeg

The outlet closed(but not 100%). Just turned the pvc pipe 180 degrees.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small misspelling: Lightning would be better.
Yes professor - your right - will try to do better next time :p

If anyone wonder - @Stigigemla is one of the most respected aquarist in Sweden - active since the early 70:ties. More than 15 000 post in the Swedish saltwater forum during the years and for me one of the oldest aquarium friends I have. As a aquarist friend - @Sallstrom is only a young newbie compared with Stig :p

Sincerely Lasse

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the history right I started Karlstad akvarieförening (Karlstad aquarists club) 1960 at the age of 14. Within the first fall we had more than 30 members. The most of the members was adult but it started with 5 boys 14 years or younger.
In 1971 I started reefing but the LFS disappeared so i went to cold water salt wich I ended in 1971 due to a move and divorce. Then I started with cichlids of all kinds. In 2004 I started reefing again. In 2007 I started my LFS and took down all fresh water tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back