OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project “breeding urchins” is also ongoing. This is 44 days old Diadema setosum larvae. They probably should have settled already if we had fed more. We’ve had problems with some of the phytoplankton cultures. But the larvae still look well, so hopefully we can feed them more further on and get them ready to settle. Would be our first settled sea urchins if we succeed!
0AA13652-8E9C-4706-9216-7B0FD21BF934.jpeg
6242E221-EC38-429E-BABE-A61478791BAB.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. Looks even more crazy when they start to move. They uses their long “arms” to paddle.
And this is only sort of the urchins caterpillar, the urchin will develop a couple of tube feet and leave this space ship looking thing when they settle. So it’s not spines those long arm you see now. They will develop after metamorphosis.

Anyway, we hope to breed urchins. Some other aquariums do it and it’s not that hard(they say..). So we put our long term substitute to figure out how to do it at our place :D
Diadema setosum might be a challenge though, I think tuxedo and collector urchins are easier. But we’ll see. Would be cool to succeed!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally we got our new filtration! Who needs skimmers when you have a container with hay.. ;)
Foto 2020-04-23 12 04 04.jpg

Here are some of the coral colonies in the sexual reproduction tank. A bunch of Acropora aculues (or close..) and a bunch of Acropora hyacinthus(I hope..).
Foto 2020-04-23 11 18 50.jpg
Foto 2020-04-23 12 00 04.jpg

We're keep adding more and more coral (well, I hope they eat it) food. Here's todays recipe. We feed twice a day now.
2 cubes of copepods
2 cubes of invertebrate food
1 cube lobster eggs
1 cube cyclops
1/4 teaspoon Reefroids (mostly as a phosphate addetive.. ;) )
10ml Acropower
8ml EasyBooster

Still waiting for EasySPS food. Will be interesting to test!

NO3 was 3 ppm and PO4 zero (hanna LR) this morning. We add some KNO3 too keep nitrate from decreasing.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally we got our new filtration! Who needs skimmers when you have a container with hay.. ;)
Foto 2020-04-23 12 04 04.jpg

Here are some of the coral colonies in the sexual reproduction tank. A bunch of Acropora aculues (or close..) and a bunch of Acropora hyacinthus(I hope..).
Foto 2020-04-23 11 18 50.jpg
Foto 2020-04-23 12 00 04.jpg

We're keep adding more and more coral (well, I hope they eat it) food. Here's todays recipe. We feed twice a day now.
2 cubes of copepods
2 cubes of invertebrate food
1 cube lobster eggs
1 cube cyclops
1/4 teaspoon Reefroids (mostly as a phosphate addetive.. ;) )
10ml Acropower
8ml EasyBooster

Still waiting for EasySPS food. Will be interesting to test!

NO3 was 3 ppm and PO4 zero (hanna LR) this morning. We add some KNO3 too keep nitrate from decreasing.
How is EasySPS food different than Reefroids?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is EasySPS food different than Reefroids?
EasySPS is a solution in a type of bag-in-box and Reefroids is a powder. EasyReef is also open with what type of algae and plankton their products contain, which I appreciate.
Reefroids seems to be good too. So nothing against the product at all. The corals respond well when using it IMO.

I like to be able to attach the EasySPS to a dosing pump. That saves time for us. So that’s an important thing for us when choosing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to be able to attach the EasySPS to a dosing pump. That saves time for us. So that’s an important thing for us when choosing.
Being paid to be lazy is important to me, too. Wise choice! :p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being paid to be lazy is important to me, too. Wise choice! :p
I like to be home in quarantine/the sofa/the boat changing feedings and additives in the app, after my colleagues send me the daily test results :p
Will get good web cameras soon too!!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding response:)
B7384B50-39B3-4C87-99D0-057E2C7C3436.jpeg
20F758EA-33B0-4EA0-B960-4D2E1B4B5FD8.jpeg

And the experiment tank without curtains
038D9E17-AB42-43F3-AF5D-41B0406BE832.jpeg

Very happy with the nutrient export. Lots of feeding but still decreasing numbers for nitrate and phosphate. Our daily routine include cleaning the skimmer, harvesting 1 litre macro algae from the refugium and stir the macro algae bed to avoid Cyanobacteria etc on the surface off the refugium.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID please! I want to find a partner for this Acropora coral for our sexual reproduction experiment.
51E61F46-6528-4504-B34C-8BA435BE69EF.jpeg
AF4D0F70-FF1B-4DE7-AB54-E04FCEF0E03F.jpeg

Edit. These are just kids. Too young for romance. We have large colonies too :)
They look like Purplehulk ultraberry pinktipped monsterpolyp acro's to me. :rolleyes: ;Troll

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading this fascinating thread for the past week and am now on page 48.

This is one of the most informative threads I have read with the mixture of marine biology, reef tank husbandry and many (and varied) practical issues. Plus the humor... Brilliant!

I can't wait to get through the next 60+ pages! ;Wideyed

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading this fascinating thread for the past week and am now on page 48.

This is one of the most informative threads I have read with the mixture of marine biology, reef tank husbandry and many (and varied) practical issues. Plus the humor... Brilliant!

I can't wait to get through the next 60+ pages! ;Wideyed
Thank you so much for the kind words!! That mean a lot :)

It feel sometimes that the rebuiling takes forever and that the "setting up new cool exhibit tanks" is so far away. So I will keep on posting about a bit of everything, new and old, to make the time go by faster! :D

I hope you will follow us all the way into the new Aquarium! Just be patience.. :p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait! What is this? Is the inventor of Alkatronic installing an Alkatronic on the experiment tank? :cool:
44AC4D88-1324-413F-A572-77B634DB1E02.jpeg

Yes! Jonas is an old friend and a regular speaker at our old Coral symposiums. He offered us to borrow an Alkatronic to test it for some time. The machine looks great so far!

Do not pay attention to the Cyanobacteria. They are a part of the experiment... The ugly part..

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the kind words!! That mean a lot :)

It feel sometimes that the rebuiling takes forever and that the "setting up new cool exhibit tanks" is so far away. So I will keep on posting about a bit of everything, new and old, to make the time go by faster! :D

I hope you will follow us all the way into the new Aquarium! Just be patience.. :p

Believe me, I will be following you through to the opening (and beyond) ;Happy.

I'm now on page 64... getting there!

I have a question: I think it was on the 10,000 liter tank thread that I saw that you dose EasyReef Booster phyto and I was surprised about the amount you dosed. I think the recommendation is 8ml per 1000 liters but you were dosing more? How much are you dosing?

I ask because I'm dosing 12ml in a 1,900 liter tank and wondering whether I should dose more...

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me, I will be following you through to the opening (and beyond) ;Happy.

I'm now on page 64... getting there!

I have a question: I think it was on the 10,000 liter tank thread that I saw that you dose EasyReef Booster phyto and I was surprised about the amount you dosed. I think the recommendation is 8ml per 1000 liters but you were dosing more? How much are you dosing?

I ask because I'm dosing 12ml in a 1,900 liter tank and wondering whether I should dose more...
Great job getting through all the pages! :D

I think that was in a tank connected to the 10 000L system, where we tried some non photosynthetic corals. It was a 800 litre something tank which was next to the sump. Therefor we could feed crazy doses for a 800L tank, because we had a full grown 10000L reef that ate all the left overs. For the 10000L tank we didn’t dose that much I think. Something like 30ml a day or so.
And that large tank also had a sand pressure filter which probably filtered out some of it.

For me, I often read the recommendation one time and then adjust depending on what tank it is and what the nutrient levels are. After a while I don’t remember the recommended dosage :) But most of the time our tanks are nutrient sinks(if you can put it that way). So we need to add nutrients in one way or the other.

We’re trying out a lot of, for us, new coral food at the moment. We got a delivery today with EasySPS, which will be interesting to test. Too bad it’s so hard to know what difference the coral foods do:rolleyes:

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I want to replace my amino dosing with the EasySPS product as well, though I'm having a problem finding the 1500ml bags.

And I will replace the Reef Chili I'm using with Fauna Marin's Coral Sprint when the Reef Chili runs out, mainly because the Coral Sprint is easier to find in Europe.

The reason I started adding nutrients is the same as yours: I'm at NO3 and PO4 levels that are too low for my liking and colours on SPS were fading. So now the combination of the added nutrients and the dosing of NO3 and PO4 has changed that and the colours are now deep and rich.

The frustrating part of this is that I started dosing amino acids, the EasyBooser, NO3 and PO4 around the same time. So I don't know if it is a combination of all of them or only one of them that has improved things! But there are only positive effects so far so I'll stick with it. ;Joyful

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I want to replace my amino dosing with the EasySPS product as well, though I'm having a problem finding the 1500ml bags.

And I will replace the Reef Chili I'm using with Fauna Marin's Coral Sprint when the Reef Chili runs out, mainly because the Coral Sprint is easier to find in Europe.

The reason I started adding nutrients is the same as yours: I'm at NO3 and PO4 levels that are too low for my liking and colours on SPS were fading. So now the combination of the added nutrients and the dosing of NO3 and PO4 has changed that and the colours are now deep and rich.

The frustrating part of this is that I started dosing amino acids, the EasyBooser, NO3 and PO4 around the same time. So I don't know if it is a combination of all of them or only one of them that has improved things! But there are only positive effects so far so I'll stick with it. ;Joyful
We just bought EasyBooster and EasySPS in 1500ml bags from De Jong. So you local store can order for you from there I think.

It's more fun and exciting adding food than adding just nutrients :D (But we're also adding KNO3 and KH2PO4 a lot)

We got some Coral Spring yesterday. It came up when we tried non-photosyntetic corals and looked around for bacterioplankton. I need to do some more research on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back