Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not enough food for the Scleronephthyas, they are fading away. This Dendronephthya sp still looks okey after 2-3 months. We have increased the feeding recently.

Bummer, on dendronephthya and scleronephthya, it's time for a dedicated tank. Small one should do. Look at mine, I downsize.
Easier to manage. You can do it!!!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mats Sundin got drafted in 1989 (that was the same year I emigrated to Toronto) & he played for the defunct Quebec Nordiques hockey team and after it was all history with our Toronto Maple Leafs. Before Mats, it was Börje Salming. Our team has a very good connection with Swedish players ...

Sundin was awesome. I still have a Nordiques jersey. I like to wear it to Rangers games and get funny looks. I just say, “old time hockey” and walk away.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor mold. All nice and comfortable only to be scalded in coffee and digested. :(

I wonder if they could be safely kept in a phytoplankton grow out system.

Might be worth a try! But I think I'll check pH and some more parameters in our cultures first. Or as @Jomama wrote, try in a smaller tank to get higher density of food.

One thing I want to do is to culture Synechococcus, one of the more common phytoplankton in the ocean. It's a bit smaller than the usual phytoplankton grown to feed pods etc. We bought some and dosed it to the NPS, but didn't find a good way to setup a culture.
It's just a guess, but I want to try feeding that kind of phytoplankton in higher doses and see the results. So it'll be more tests soon I hope.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be worth a try! But I think I'll check pH and some more parameters in our cultures first. Or as @Jomama wrote, try in a smaller tank to get higher density of food.

One thing I want to do is to culture Synechococcus, one of the more common phytoplankton in the ocean. It's a bit smaller than the usual phytoplankton grown to feed pods etc. We bought some and dosed it to the NPS, but didn't find a good way to setup a culture.
It's just a guess, but I want to try feeding that kind of phytoplankton in higher doses and see the results. So it'll be more tests soon I hope.
You said soon,that means few years, gives me time to set up my Synechococcus culture, try to beat you to the punch. I think it will be ready in 3 days:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna miss our "kitchen". Here we measure, prepare food(for the animals), hatch artemia, prepare chemicals, fix pumps, culture rotifers, jellyfish, sometimes seahorses and clowns, glue corals and so much more. The heart of the Aquarium:)

IMG_6321.JPG

IMG_6322.JPG

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna miss our "kitchen". Here we measure, prepare food(for the animals), hatch artemia, prepare chemicals, fix pumps, culture rotifers, jellyfish, sometimes seahorses and clowns, glue corals and so much more. The heart of the Aquarium:)

IMG_6321.JPG

IMG_6322.JPG

Thanks for posting these pics.
I thought my place was a mess but now I see that I’m at the right track and following the same professional storage technique. [emoji41]

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today material for the propagation tank stands arrived! And we've started to mark where all the tanks will be located in the room.
IMG_6324.JPG
IMG_6325.JPG
IMG_6326.JPG

And here's the master plan for the temporary Aquarium! Every aquarium stand is two levels.
IMG_6327.JPG

And this is from a quick meeting about overflows, walls and smaller tanks in the new Aquarium building. We will continue tomorrow:)
IMG_6328.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today material for the propagation tank stands arrived! And we've started to mark where all the tanks will be located in the room.
IMG_6324.JPG
IMG_6325.JPG
IMG_6326.JPG

And here's the master plan for the temporary Aquarium! Every aquarium stand is two levels.
IMG_6327.JPG

And this is from a quick meeting about overflows, walls and smaller tanks in the new Aquarium building. We will continue tomorrow:)
IMG_6328.JPG

That's alot planning . Is there enough tanks for all corals

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's alot planning . Is there enough tanks for all corals

Not sure they all will fit. Some species like Montipora we might not save all we can, some of it will go to other public aquarias. The goal is to save and grow corals so we have a good quantity of those species we got. That means grow more of some species and give away some surplus.

We might take down a wall later on to get more room for more tanks, but we havn't told the bosses that yet.. ;)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure they all will fit. Some species like Montipora we might not save all we can, some of it will go to other public aquarias. The goal is to save and grow corals so we have a good quantity of those species we got. That means grow more of some species and give away some surplus.

We might take down a wall later on to get more room for more tanks, but we havn't told the bosses that yet.. ;)

You might want to find out if the wall is load bearing. If removed, may cause more issues.,

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And @Lasse is fixing the reef tank model, adjusting the windows and bottom level to the latest drawing. "Rock work" in styrofoam will be used as a first try. Later on we will do the model in acrylic and fill with water, maybe fill it with live rock and corals as well.
IMG_6330.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back