Status
Not open for further replies.

Pascal89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might sound stubborn when it comes to the back wall and the colour

Sometimes stubborn is a good thing right! In a practical sense, when the surface is as flat as glass it might be possible to keep it clean. If it isn't I think it isn't worth the effort of spending money on because it will become "organic" (as I read in a previous post) pretty quick when the tank is starting to become mature. All I see is extra cleaning work in the future. I can send you a picture of our blue walls but non of them is blue. They just look like rock with coraline algea on it. :D

I think you should also anticipate on the amount of work the tanks need when everything kicks off. Maintenance stuff like trimming, cleaning etc. takes up a lot of time. And everything you do underwater takes twice the time. It's like working in slow motion.

Also I'm wondering if the idea is that the visitors look down from the deeper part of the reef into the shallow area or if they look from a shallow reef into the deep.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes stubborn is a good thing right! In a practical sense, when the surface is as flat as glass it might be possible to keep it clean. If it isn't I think it isn't worth the effort of spending money on because it will become "organic" (as I read in a previous post) pretty quick when the tank is starting to become mature. All I see is extra cleaning work in the future. I can send you a picture of our blue walls but non of them is blue. They just look like rock with coraline algea on it. :D

I think you should also anticipate on the amount of work the tanks need when everything kicks off. Maintenance stuff like trimming, cleaning etc. takes up a lot of time. And everything you do underwater takes twice the time. It's like working in slow motion.

Also I'm wondering if the idea is that the visitors look down from the deeper part of the reef into the shallow area or if they look from a shallow reef into the deep.
Yes, I know. It gonna be hard keeping the back wall blue. And I really don't like coralline algae on blue back walls ;Nailbiting But I hope we can get some room behind the corals to make a walkway say at about 50-75 cm depth. So hopefully we can walk out and clean the back wall without having to dive. We don't have that much room above the tank, so the walkway need to be down in the water.. :p

Sounds like bad planning with the small space above the tank, but it's all compromises. More space on top of the tank -> lower water level -> lower window -> a big change in the room outside the tank and so on. With our plan the visitors will have a horizontal view into the tank when standing above the stairs/bleachers at the large window. If lowering the window, we lose that and they will look down and only see what's on the bottom :(

So from the large window you "stand on the bottom at 4 meters depth" looking into a reef, if you stand right in front of the window. From the small side window you will be at 1-2 meters depth, more looking straight into the reef, getting closer to the corals.

I might come back with more questions on the amount of time you spend on different tasks taking care of a large reef tank, diving etc. We are working on a "schedule" to see how much time and staff we need when we have opened. At the moment we are three people working with the aquariums, plus our "super sub" Lasse. The other marine biologists are working in other projects at the moment. But when we start doing the tanks and exhibitions we will be a larger team.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse what is my specially designed coral dipping basket(my CDB) doing as a dosing pump stand?? :oops:
A55F6E94-AE0A-4C1F-8293-E5252F331A28.jpeg

I built a new stand for the pump. The CDB is now back in at the dipping station. Let’s leave it there ;)
31102BDC-0475-47D8-9698-AC25287C5F97.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best trick to do - both in giving a "depth" and not have coraline's on the back - is to use light - or in this case - not use light. The light fixtures that will be used can be ordered with 5 % spreading - it means that it can be lights in the back that illuminate the top of the stone construction but not the space between that and the back wall.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best trick to do - both in giving a "depth" and not have coraline's on the back - is to use light - or in this case - not use light. The light fixtures that will be used can be ordered with 5 % spreading - it means that it can be lights in the back that illuminate the top of the stone construction but not the space between that and the back wall.

Sincerely Lasse
But I'm planning corals pretty close to the back wall :D

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse what is my specially designed coral dipping basket(my CDB) doing as a dosing pump stand?? :oops:
A55F6E94-AE0A-4C1F-8293-E5252F331A28.jpeg

I built a new stand for the pump. The CDB is now back in at the dipping station. Let’s leave it there ;)
31102BDC-0475-47D8-9698-AC25287C5F97.jpeg
It's called creativity when you use a thing for something it is not intended for. In the Gothenburg dialect, it is called doing an "abrovinch":D:D It was perfect,

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called creativity when you use a thing for something it is not intended for. In the Gothenburg dialect, it is called doing an "abrowinch":D:D It was perfect,

Sincerely Lasse
I only build perfect things.. :cool:;)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I'm planning corals pretty close to the back wall :D
Yes but I can be done if you angle the 5 % light beam and we can adjust the intensity. You build a wall of light with very little reaching the blue back wall.

Sincerely Lasse

Pascal89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might come back with more questions on the amount of time you spend on different tasks taking care of a large reef tank, diving etc.

You are welcome! Although these are hard to answer questions. If you ask ten reefers how much time they put in you will get ten different answers. I believe you should visit us, too bad the covid is still upon us.

But I hope we can get some room behind the corals to make a walkway say at about 50-75 cm depth.

We have a similar feature in the display tank only not with the same purpose. Having walkways and space is always great. The idea is nice. Not a fan of the cleaning part of a wall though but if this would work out it is great. Also helps when you want to put the corals near that blue back wall. Easy access for maintenance as well.

it means that it can be lights in the back that illuminate the top of the stone construction but not the space between that and the back wall.

Hi Lasse! First time quoting you :D This is the way to create depth for sure. Like your thoughts on this. From what i've seen of the Long Island tank on video is that they used the same principle. And like I mentioned earlier, the extra space behind the rock work is great to hide some pumps or to manage better flow.

Time to stop overtaking your thread ;Nailbiting Will send you personal message.

Pascal

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, keep overtaking the thread, I'm finding the discussion very interesting!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome! Although these are hard to answer questions. If you ask ten reefers how much time they put in you will get ten different answers. I believe you should visit us, too bad the covid is still upon us.

We have a similar feature in the display tank only not with the same purpose. Having walkways and space is always great. The idea is nice. Not a fan of the cleaning part of a wall though but if this would work out it is great. Also helps when you want to put the corals near that blue back wall. Easy access for maintenance as well.

Hi Lasse! First time quoting you :D This is the way to create depth for sure. Like your thoughts on this. From what i've seen of the Long Island tank on video is that they used the same principle. And like I mentioned earlier, the extra space behind the rock work is great to hide some pumps or to manage better flow.

Pascal
Just keep on going and keep this thread alive! :D

Haven't had time to do any work on the on styrofoam for a while, but thinking a lot on materials and strength. And how to attach dry rock on to a structure without spending a years on it. Very large magnets? ;)

We will try to get some material and to build test structures in the near future. Just to get a hunch of what it'll take to build almost 4 meters high structures that will be strong enough to climb on and to pile rocks on. Probably outdoor, since we have no room inside that high at the moment. In the Swedish winter. It'll be great.. Could become a big air jump for snowboarders when the snow comes.

Pascal89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, keep overtaking the thread, I'm finding the discussion very interesting!

I've been discussing some stuff quietly with David for a bit ;). I think what he does on this forum is unique. So much transparency for a public aquarium is special on it's own. I'm hesitant to share stuff with you guys. Not because I don't want to but as an employee we are not allowed to show behind the scenes stuff.

It is very nice to have a discussion of course. Has to be said that a topic like this, for most of the members of this forum, is something people are not really experienced with. Upscaling a reef tank is just very difficult. Not only the funds for a project like this can be overwhelming (and not to forget running costs and depreciation), but also the amount of work involved and "big tank problems".

Pascal89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking about the tank again. And the size of this project.

Imagine that the surface of this tank is about the same as my apartment, only with 4 meter high walls! Then think of the size of the rockwork you need to add. Massive structures have to be made. A grown man standing in an empty tank would be impressed with the size.

Now think of your average home tank circulation, this is nearly impossible to maintain in a tank this size. To keep things appealing for visitors all equipement should be hidden but still have to be functional and effective. And now we only looked at the model that David posted earlier. Planning this rockwork is a precise task that needs excessive planning before becoming reality. So much to take into account. These plans are massive compared to living room dream tank.

I am really impressed with the process guys. Planned into detail which will be visible in the end.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The building site today
A8F2DE86-96A9-4AD4-B09C-03494D913CAC.jpeg

Everything goes well. The aquarium staff is on a special COVID schedule with just one member in the temporary Aquarium at the time. So there’re lots of Teams/zoom meetings at the moment. So we keep in contact. Coffee break on Teams every day at 10 o’clock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back