Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a new one, dip manually like your doing, use ultra sound to see if help remove worms. When to use ultrasound your guess?
Wouldn't an ultrasound damage the coral structure?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!! A package I've been waiting for. Apparently it's been at the post office for a week or two, nobody asked me if I was waiting for a delivery.. But now it's here!
IMG_6870.JPG

Looks a bit like the Core7 box :)

IMG_6871.JPG

IMG_6872.JPG

Yaaay!! N-DOC tests from Triton lab! Now we can measure even more stuff :D
Got an idea on how this works, talked to Ehsan and Tim from Triton last weekend at MACE, but it'll probably take some time to understand the whole thing. And time to reread some articles about DOC ;Couchpotato
Now I wonder if you have to freeze sample and cold pack for shipping ? Because bacteria would consume some DOC, as soon as samples taken. Any instructions like that. Freezing kills bacteria, viruses, etc.... curious? Hmmmmmm

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the test I did I shook them gently during the whole dip. I tried just 10 secs and 20 secs. So it was very shorts dips. But I've tested to dip corals in fresh water and I didn't want the same result this time :) (don't do it)

You need to explain more about auto vibration and ultrasound. Put the bucket on a vibration "machine"? How to use ultrasound?

25 years ago, I went to a business that sold military surplus. I saw a push cart, size like the ones at Hardware stores. What was different, it could vibrate, like a 5 gallon bucket or bigger? I thought of that, for vibrating ideas. On a timer of course. To shake off worms.

Now ultrasound, there's sqare container sizes for cleaning jewelry. Also ultrasound toothbrushes. Toothbrush a good start? Cheap too.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now ultrasound, there's sqare container sizes for cleaning jewelry. Also ultrasound toothbrushes. Toothbrush a good start? Cheap too.
An ultrasound should strip the flesh right off the skeleton. That is the type of cleaning they are designed to do.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ultrasound should strip the flesh right off the skeleton. That is the type of cleaning they are designed to do.
Would be interesting. I would get the jewelry size ultrasound device. Like going to the jeweler and get ring cleaned. Place frag in it. You can turn on/off the Soundwaves. The toothbrush you got to brush coral, not good. Got to use potassium solution already being used. Would be interesting :)

After experiment if no good. Return ultrasound cleaner. Nothing to lose.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I wonder if you have to freeze sample and cold pack for shipping ? Because bacteria would consume some DOC, as soon as samples taken. Any instructions like that. Freezing kills bacteria, viruses, etc.... curious? Hmmmmmm

No, not that I know of. But I can't say for sure how this works. I will be at work this weekend, will do some more research then and get back on the subject.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not that I know of. But I can't say for sure how this works. I will be at work this weekend, will do some more research then and get back on the subject.

Triton posted a video on the N-DOC today on their Facebook page. They don't meassure NO3 due to the handling time, but they meassure N. And if you add the NO3 value you get on your own home test, their homepage calculate the ratio of the N/NO3. You can also add your PO4 value if you haven't tested that at Triton. I think they are going for something they call "The Triton ratio", for N / P / C.

I haven't seen anything on freezing the samples, so I guess it's not necessary.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thing they are going for something they call "The Triton ratio", for N / P / C.
Well, at least they aren't going for C/N/P or someone might associate it with the Redfield ratio!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny things you encounter when trying to build a public aqaria in Sweden. The large tanks is classified as swimming pools and all AC electricity needs to be at least 2,5 meters away from the aquarium surface. Only electricity allowed near the tank surface is maximum 30V DC. So if we follow those rules and don't find a way around it, we will have to use LEDs like Radion or Hydra for the 400'000L reef tank :D

But hopefully we will figure out a safe way to use large aquarium LEDs that everyone is okey with. I'm not worried, yet :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny things you encounter when trying to build a public aqaria in Sweden. The large tanks is classified as swimming pools and all AC electricity needs to be at least 2,5 meters away from the aquarium surface. Only electricity allowed near the tank surface is maximum 30V DC. So if we follow those rules and don't find a way around it, we will have to use LEDs like Radion or Hydra for the 400'000L reef tank :D

But hopefully we will figure out a safe way to use large aquarium LEDs that everyone is okey with. I'm not worried, yet :)

Hard to believe that. With devices like GFCI, AFCI, that your building codes do not differentiate between science and private sector use.

Because you can fall (I think) under science, may get waivers? But that can take awhile? Thinking out loud

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll tell you what doesn't add up. The rule of 30V DC. Actually 1 amp under right conditions can kill someone. So whether 30V DC or 400V AC no different. Can kill. Go figure that

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, some pools have lighting inside swimming pools. In Sweden I don't know? :(

Here yes.
The issue is clearance above the pool. They have different code requirements for electrical devices used in and around the pool.

I'll tell you what doesn't add up. The rule of 30V DC. Actually 1 amp under right conditions can kill someone. So whether 30V DC or 400V AC no different. Can kill. Go figure that
Higher voltages make it easier to get to dangerous current levels, up to a few thousand volts. After that, even though currents are much higher, they rarely travel through the heart but cause all sorts of other issues.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just a simple biologist, so electricity isn't something I know well at all. I'm glad we got @Lasse and my other colleagues that's smarter than me in those areas :)

Lasse gave me a quick talk through how LEDs could work with high vs low voltage and amperes earlier today. My head is still spinning;)

I'm glad we got this discussion up now, a couple of years before opening. We will find a solution that's okey by the rules and the inhabitants of our tank, I'm sure.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just a simple biologist, so electricity isn't something I know well at all. I'm glad we got @Lasse and my other colleagues that's smarter than me in those areas :)

Lasse gave me a quick talk through how LEDs could work with high vs low voltage and amperes earlier today. My head is still spinning;)

I'm glad we got this discussion up now, a couple of years before opening. We will find a solution that's okey by the rules and the inhabitants of our tank, I'm sure.
About booboo, he may be long in the tooth, but smarter than a jumping bean. Heehee

I don't know about your other colleagues. I haven't met them. With time

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must someway change the class of the aquaria. The public will never come in contact with the water or electric installations so it is a totally different thing.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must someway change the class of the aquaria. The public will never come in contact with the water or electric installations so it is a totally different thing.

But we will dive in the tank. So it's our security also :)

One option is to have approved lights for when we will be diving. Then turn on the other more powerful lights when we're not in the tank. Not the best solution but one possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back