Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks better last evening, :)

Sincerly Lasse

Okey, I've posted a couple of pictures of you so I can't say too much about you posting this :p
After a lot of pressure "the museum band" preform, for the first time, at the Christmas party this week.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of videos I found this one below is interesting. It's to do with a permanent brine shrimp population in the entire system, especially watch at around the 5:45 time when he shines his torch into his display.
Might give it a go myself.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of videos I found this one below is interesting. It's to do with a permanent brine shrimp population in the entire system, especially watch at around the 5:45 time when he shines his torch into his display.
Might give it a go myself.

Thanks for changing the subject back to aquariums again :D

That swarming at night looked too good to be true. But I agree on artemia survive most conditions and eat other things than phytoplankton.
Not sure he follows "the rules" for dwarf seahorses(temp & salinity), but if it works it works :)

A summer substitute set up two tanks behind our shark reef this summer. One 50L started with phytoplankton, the other 20L with live artemia. Air bubbles in both tanks. Water comes from the shark tank via a dosing pump, overflow from the phytoplankton tank to the artemia tank and from that tank overflow back to the display tank. The phytoplankton crashed pretty soon, but the artemia are still going strong. Both adult and juveniles can be seen in the 20L tank. Not very high density though.
I will add some chaetomorpha on Monday, to see if they grow more.

I'll also add some artemia to our refugiums:)

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for changing the subject back to aquariums again :D

That swarming at night looked too good to be true. But I agree on artemia survive most conditions and eat other things than phytoplankton.
Not sure he follows "the rules" for dwarf seahorses(temp & salinity), but if it works it works :)

A summer substitute set up two tanks behind our shark reef this summer. One 50L started with phytoplankton, the other 20L with live artemia. Air bubbles in both tanks. Water comes from the shark tank via a dosing pump, overflow from the phytoplankton tank to the artemia tank and from that tank overflow back to the display tank. The phytoplankton crashed pretty soon, but the artemia are still going strong. Both adult and juveniles can be seen in the 20L tank. Not very high density though.
I will add some chaetomorpha on Monday, to see if they grow more.

I'll also add some artemia to our refugiums:)
I ordered some eggs the other day. I'd love to get a good permanent population going in my system. As dense as his would be cool. I'll try feeding them on a diet of ulva.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on our projects.

Today we cleaned and carried two 6 x 1 meters propagation tanks into the temporary Aquarium. That's pretty much all that has happened in that room for a couple of weeks. We've been busy with other things but hopefully this project will start to move again this week. It would be good to have water in some of the tanks before New Years so the systems can mature.
We need to transport another 4 acrylic tanks(2,5 meters tangs) from the manufacturer to the museum this week as well. We've got a lot of stands to build :)

The work station where we tested elevated potassium against AEFW is transforming slowly into a coral system. 4 out of 8 160 litre tanks is running now, two sumps are connected. The other four will be filled this week.
Just waiting for the system to mature. Done a couple of water changes(used water from the 10000L reef tank as new water), so the potassium level shouldn't be elevated anymore. But still not a great system for Acropora. I hope time will sort that out, together with some fish and shrimps, more LR and some macroalgae.
I still have a plan on treating the corals against AEFW, but first I need the Acropora frags to survive after being cut and glued o_O

The work on the drawings of the new Aquarium is also ongoing. Not the most exciting times now, but soon most of the facility is drawn. I hope we can make the last decisions this week for the sump to the 400'000L reef tank for example:)
Many details are not decided now, like pumps and lights etc.
Oh, and then there's a need for more funding.. But I'll wait to tell you about that until it has been in the Gothenburg newspapers:)

I've been lazy taking photos this week, so I'll try to take some tomorrow. This is my attempt to take a picture of some new jellyfish we got from an Aquarium in Malmö. Terrible..
IMG_6881.JPG

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an acro frag and dipped it in a strong (educated guess, my test kit doesn't go high enough) K solution of around 1000 yesterday for 10 minutes or so I was amazed what came off, I don't think I would try to run a tank with high K , I think the micro fauna will be hit hard?!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an acro frag and dipped it in a strong (educated guess, my test kit doesn't go high enough) K solution of around 1000 yesterday for 10 minutes or so I was amazed what came off, I don't think I would try to run a tank with high K , I think the micro fauna will be hit hard?!

We've actually lost some colonies I dipped in ~1400ppm K(I think, something like that) a couple of weeks ago. They looked okey the first week after the dip but then started to fade away. Not sure if we're having a bad coral month or if they were harmed by the dip.
I'll look through my note tomorrow and see what corals we dipped that week, I think I tested a lot in that potassium dip. Too much going on at the same time at work so I depend on my notes.. o_O

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's sea anemone?

Screenshot_2018-12-10-12-32-47.png
Not sure. Those inner tentacles looks like those of a tube anemone, but the outer ones looks more like from a regular anemone or a solitary polyp of a stony coral like Caryophyllia.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. Those inner tentacles looks like those of a tube anemone, but the outer ones looks more like from a regular anemone or a solitary polyp of a stony coral like Caryophyllia.
They don't say what species. Article about biofluorescent

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually when new building finish and all issues resolved. Should do a gala, like "dancing with the corals"( dancing with the Stars). Your band can play the music. :)

I see millions ;Greedy
It feels like a million years from now :confused: And millions of $$ :D
Sure it'll be some nice events when it's all done! I'm hoping to do events/conferences for both public aquariums and hobbyists.

But the band only do very very small events.. ;)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It feels like a million years from now :confused: And millions of $$ :D
Sure it'll be some nice events when it's all done! I'm hoping to do events/conferences for both public aquariums and hobbyists.

But the band only do very very small events.. ;)

There you go, do a special event where your band plays only. I see hundred$$$$, sorry. :p

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, a fundraising gig for the new Aquarium. Maybe you're on to something :D

Do it!!! I bet some will come from around the world to contribute. If you posted here R2R and the net.

Don't forget I get my cut. I'll be PR and band manager. ;Greedy mo money , mo money $$$$

Gotta have flamenco dancers. $$$$$$ Live Aide all over again.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's sea anemone?

Screenshot_2018-12-10-12-32-47.png

That's a Cerianthus sp, albeit one that isn't fully open. Not actually an anemone even though everyone calls them so. You can tell its one from the two rings of tentacles, the central labial tentacles who's job is to feed the mouth, and the long outer tentacles which are designed to capture prey.
I could be wrong but i'm fairly sure its proposed the bioluminescence is for defence against predation at night.

seen plenty of really funky colour morphs over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back