Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can hit up Panta Rhei to donate some pumps! :eek:
Oh yes, that would have been something! We need to get better on getting sponsors and collaborators(not sure thats the correct term;Bored). But it's on our list to do.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, that would have been something! We need to get better on getting sponsors and collaborators(not sure thats the correct term;Bored). But it's on our list to do.

Never too late to give them a call and explain your present scenario and dilemma with flow through your tanks! You will never know unless you try.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think switching directions a couple of times a day, plus pretty turbulent flow, would be great for both the corals and to stir up detritus from the bottom. It's just hard to achive without many pumps I think. In the new Aquarium I hope we can do something like that. As for now in the temporary Aquarium, we're on low budget(therefor the Jebao).
Another reason I'm planning on this type of flow is that the tanks we're using are very long compared to most display tanks. Getting good flow in tanks 2,5-6 meter long, I've found that setting pumps like the picture below is the easiest way with least number of pumps. To get some turbulence I'm using at least one wave pump in these setups.
Here's the setup from the top:

Flöde kafe.JPG
That's why I was wondering if you would move them like this to reverse the direction of flow.
upload_2019-3-11_10-50-37.png

Not practical to do multiple times a day but maybe every few days. Just not sure if there is value there.

Until I get my gyres set up and programmed exactly how I want my flow is predominantly from left to right. I could change it every few days but not sure if there is value to the work it would take to swap controllers around. Hence the reason I was asking.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I was wondering if you would move them like this to reverse the direction of flow.
upload_2019-3-11_10-50-37.png

Not practical to do multiple times a day but maybe every few days. Just not sure if there is value there.

Until I get my gyres set up and programmed exactly how I want my flow is predominantly from left to right. I could change it every few days but not sure if there is value to the work it would take to swap controllers around. Hence the reason I was asking.
Okay! That would be pretty easy to do, moving the pumps manually. Not a bad idea! Could maybe make some coral colonies grow more natural having different flow directions now and then. Sometimes you get colonies that you see grow in the flow direction, and that might not be the look you want.

When it comes to flow we've always stopped at good enough. At that point, the money were more urgent for something else. So I can't say any of our tanks have had really great flow with lots of options.
We have calculated with many large quality stream pumps in the new Aquarium, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is something we need to cut back on when we are at that point. Frustrating but we are used to it.. But pumps are something we can add more of later. It's harder to change concrete walls and large acrylic windows :)

Anyway, in the future large reef tank, I want the possibility to alter the flow direction 4 times a day. To simulate some kind of tide. I also want the possibility to simulate a storm to stir up detritus.
My colleague, who's in charge of the future kelp tank, has even more pumps/litre in his plan. Today our kelp only likes it 10cm in from of a large Jebao stream pump. Anywhere else in the tank the kelp get too much epiphytes and die off :)

Okay, long post. But nice to think of the future tanks for a while! The temporary tanks are just a step on the way(and a lot of extra work..).

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never too late to give them a call and explain your present scenario and dilemma with flow through your tanks! You will never know unless you try.
Absolutely! At the moment we're waiting on a final decision from the city(again..). But when/if that decision goes through we can contact companies with our plans and hopefully get somewhere with these things.
Who knows, maybe the new reef tank will be named The Volvo Reef! :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really good name! Stilla havet, Barents Hav, Handelbankens Hav :)
Well done! Now I have to call them. :D
You can stock the Hav with Kronliens Krabba, Swegons Sjöborre and Mecel's Mussla!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a smaller aquarium you can call it Getinge's Glaslåda

You need me on your marketing team!
Haha :D Where do you find all this?
Not many people know about Getinge! Okay. After a search I found a company with that name in Gothenburg. But it's also a really small village in the county Halland :)
To be honest we don't have any expert on these kind of things. We are a bit spoiled with money from the City and a couple of foundations. But in the future our budget will probably not be enough, so we have to learn.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha :D Where do you find all this?
I am a Google Master!!! All knowledge is at my fingertips!!!! ;)

I've even learned how to care for coral on google! Drool over these!
upload_2019-3-11_17-19-12.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uno, dos, tres new tanks are now filled with water! And no leak so far :)
Here one rack
IMG_7357.JPG

And the sumps, with one return pump installed and water flowing!
IMG_7359.JPG

Now I need to figure out what skimmer to use. Won't be a new one, might take one from an old system. Or try to revive a broken one.
Some light fixtures will come tomorrow (at least if DHL keep their schedule).
And it's time to start mining rocks from the old tanks so we get some more biology in the system. Plus 100 other things, like trying to catch tangs from our large tanks.. ;Wideyed

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large Jebao were out of stock, so I ordered two small ones. But wasn't expecting them to be this small! :p
IMG_7360.JPG

Careful with that thing. You'll cause a tidal wave! :eek:

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tres new tanks are NOT filled?

;)
Haha, yes :D We're going as fast as our RO unit can go. It's working 24/7 this week!

And it's more than three new tanks left to fill. But I think I'll start with the rest next week.. Six tanks in one week is a good start I think! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back