Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to see how some of our tanks looked like in April 2017, you'll see them here :)

I found this video today on YouTube, made by a nice reef aquarist in Gothenburg. I think he's on R2R too :)

Show off. Rub it in. With all that great success. :p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show off. Rub it in. With all that great success. :p
Yea, glory days :p
But it's boring just running holding tanks at the moment. So it's nice to do some time traveling and see the old tanks again! Many of them were in my life for ten years you know. So I'm allowed to get nostalgic ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey, back at work after four weeks vacation! @Lasse and the team have done a great job, no crashes;)

Takes a while to get back on track after being away for some time. Mostly been reading notes (to see what has been done with the tanks) and measuring today. I tore up my old "aquarist back" by mountain biking this weekend, so I haven't put my hands in the water today(I couldn't reach..) :rolleyes:

Good news is that we're able to keep the temperature in check even during warmer summer days. We bought two small AC units a month ago and they work well.

Now we also got 4 small tanks running with cold water species in the temporary Aquarium. We still have our old touch tank running, so we haven't moved in all animals yet. It's mostly invertebrates.
Here's the cold water "room". Compact living :D
IMG_8101.JPG
IMG_8103.JPG

The coral tanks looks okey. Found some bright green cyano like algae today. Interesting:) Will take some photos during the week.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey, back at work after four weeks vacation! @Lasse and the team have done a great job, no crashes;)

Takes a while to get back on track after being away for some time. Mostly been reading notes (to see what has been done with the tanks) and measuring today. I tore up my old "aquarist back" by mountain biking this weekend, so I haven't put my hands in the water today(I couldn't reach..) :rolleyes:

Good news is that we're able to keep the temperature in check even during warmer summer days. We bought two small AC units a month ago and they work well.

Now we also got 4 small tanks running with cold water species in the temporary Aquarium. We still have our old touch tank running, so we haven't moved in all animals yet. It's mostly invertebrates.
IMG_8101.JPG
IMG_8103.JPG

The coral tanks looks okey. Found some bright green cyano like algae today. Interesting:) Will take some photos during the week.
Have a chiller not able to keep up with heat. Goes to old DT. All looks great. Here 111° Palm Springs where I'm located today it's hot.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything seems to go in cycles. Now the Vermetid snails seems to have grown and spread like crazy, specially on frag plugs disturbing the already stressed newly glued frags ;Shifty
At least I'm hoping it's the snails, everything else seems fine. Water, light and flow are all amazing :rolleyes:

Now I'm on the lookout for predators eating Vermetid snails, and not corals. After reading through a couple of threads I've found these suggestions: Emerald crabs, Bumble bee snails, Halichoeres wrasses and a couple of more snails not often found in the aquarium trade. Let me know if you have more suggestions or tips!

I know about the coral snow treatment. Maybe we'll try that later, but first I want to find predators, as a more long term solution. We have the opportunity to try different predators in different tanks, but in the same system, so we might compare them.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8101.JPG
IMG_8103.JPG

Welcome back!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything seems to go in cycles. Now the Vermetid snails seems to have grown and spread like crazy, specially on frag plugs disturbing the already stressed newly glued frags ;Shifty
At least I'm hoping it's the snails, everything else seems fine. Water, light and flow are all amazing :rolleyes:

Now I'm on the lookout for predators eating Vermetid snails, and not corals. After reading through a couple of threads I've found these suggestions: Emerald crabs, Bumble bee snails, Halichoeres wrasses and a couple of more snails not often found in the aquarium trade. Let me know if you have more suggestions or tips!

I know about the coral snow treatment. Maybe we'll try that later, but first I want to find predators, as a more long term solution. We have the opportunity to try different predators in different tanks, but in the same system, so we might compare them.

Bummer about the Vermetid snail infestation. The methods you mention using are popular with, I think, the best results going to Bumblebee snails.

Marc at melevs reef has employed the use of a laser to eradicate them. Others, also, have followed in Marc's steps and used a laser with great results.

It will be cool to see how the different methods work for you.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!
Thanks! :)

Bummer about the Vermetid snail infestation. The methods you mention using are popular with, I think, the best results going to Bumblebee snails.

Marc at melevs reef has employed the use of a laser to eradicate them. Others, also, have followed in Marc's steps and used a laser with great results.

It will be cool to see how the different methods work for you.

We've only had problems with them in our propagation tanks earlier, not in the display tanks. So I guess some other fish like Angels , Filefishes or perhaps damsels eat them as well. But would be nice to find more species to choose from!

Laser sounds ehh.. a bit drastic :rolleyes: But I've seen the ones for Aiptasia. Not sure we are allowed to use that kind of lazer in Sweden :D

I found Bumblebee snails on the list. Great! Will put in an order today so we will get them next week.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted it in one of the Vermetid threads but mine went away once I stopped trying to kill them off. If I had to guess, the most likely cause was raising my magnesium to 1650ppm to try and combat the algae I've been dealing with. I did add a bunch of peppermint shrimp also, so can't say for sure they didn't have a role in it.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted it in one of the Vermetid threads but mine went away once I stopped trying to kill them off. If I had to guess, the most likely cause was raising my magnesium to 1650ppm to try and combat the algae I've been dealing with. I did add a bunch of peppermint shrimp also, so can't say for sure they didn't have a role in it.

I've also thought of shrimps, like Stenopus hispidus or something like that. Didn't think of peppermint's! I will have a look and see if there are any Vermetid snails in the tank where our peppermint shrimps are.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right - it is not allowed.

Sincerely Lasse

Well, that is most disappointing. Also causes me to wonder how Pink Floyd might have put on any of their great shows! ;)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that is most disappointing. Also causes me to wonder how Pink Floyd might have put on any of their great shows! ;)
They used Light-Brites in Sweden.
E1EF6469-6D94-4A88-B593-DADF27824EDA.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're really good at rules and administration and that kind of stuff! :rolleyes:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who needs Pink Floyd when you have ABBA? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back