Not open for further replies.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I thought I might start a new thread writing about our journey building a new public aquarium. I work as a marine biologist and aquarist at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium in Gothenburg, Sweden. I think I've been here about a decade now. Time flies :)

The Aquarium was founded in 1923, and moved into the museum 1933 when the museum building was completed. Over the years the Aquarium has housed lots of different animals, from Galapagos turtles to monkeys. But since 2001 there's only aquariums. And since 2009 only marine tanks and animals.

We are a non profit museum, funded mostly by the the city of Gothenburg and a foundation. But we also need to get some sponsors, so if you.... ;)

Here a picture just to lighten up amongst all this text..
Snapseed.jpeg

Here comes some info on the Aquarium today. We got about 20 tanks running in the exhibition, from 50L to 25 000L. The total water volume now is around 50 000L. We've focused on tropical reef habitats and Swedish temperate coastal waters.

We are five people working full time in the Aquarium, but mostly three of us are responsible for the aquariums.

And another picture to get people to read the rest of this long post..
Snapseed.jpeg

I've written some about our 10 000L reef tank in my build thread in my profile, so there you can find a lot of pictures of that tank and some of the others.

In this thread I will try to share our work from today until we open the new Aquarium in the fall of 2021.

We closed the museum this Sunday, and our first step is the build a temporary Aquarium in the room where the museum restaurant used to be. Unfortunately we need to clear the old Aquarium facilities before we can move into the new Aquarium, therefor this temporary solution. Our aim is to start up the new tanks with as much "homegrown " corals as possible. And since we're planning on a reef tank with 400 000L water, we will need a lot of corals :)

Corals corals..
IMG_6153.JPG

I hope you would like to follow our journey from a small public aquarium to a medium size. Please feel free to ask any questions you want(or tell me I'm stupid if you think I'm stupid ;)).

So, here's some pictures from this week, the week after closing.

IMG_6244.JPG

This is where the temporary Aquarium will be located
IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

Okey, that was the startup of a new thread. More will come! :)

Best regards
David

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how this goes! I can only imagine the challenges of moving all that coral into a temporary facility.

Are you also going to try and keep all of the fish?

One last question for now... What happened to using the title of "A behind the scenes look at why my job is better than yours"? :p;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning pictures, thanks for sharing!
Thank you! :)

Nice start David, I'm here for the ride and looking forward to it. :)
... I guess my invite to the opening in the mail hasn't been processed yet, I have blue sponge! :p

Thanks! The invite will come in 2021, if we won't be delayed:D

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how this goes! I can only imagine the challenges of moving all that coral into a temporary facility.

Are you also going to try and keep all of the fish?

One last question for now... What happened to using the title of "A behind the scenes look at why my job is better than yours"? :p;)

Most of the fish I think. We're looking for new homes for our snowflake moray eels, the bamboo sharks and some more of the larger animals. But the smaller ones I think we need for getting some nutrients in the propagation tanks :)

Ha, I'm too modest to use that title :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some drawings for the new building. Everything under ground is the new Aquarium. I'm not sure Im allowed to post the latest drawings, but they are pretty close to these older ones. I'll post better and newer ones when I can.

IMG_6251.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

And from the top. All smaller tanks is not inserted in this yet. We haven't decided all of them yet, sizes and where they will be. But the three larger ones are in, the coral reef is that largest, North Sea the second largest and then a kelp forrest on the corner. You'll need some imagination.. ;)
IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure Im allowed to post the latest drawings,
I knew this was a secret upgrade for the Säkerhetskontoret!!! ;Wideyed

Where better to hide it than a public museum!!! :p

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some drawings for the new building. Everything under ground is the new Aquarium. I'm not sure Im allowed to post the latest drawings, but they are pretty close to these older ones. I'll post better and newer ones when I can.

IMG_6251.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

And from the top. All smaller tanks is not inserted in this yet. We haven't decided all of them yet, sizes and where they will be. But the three larger ones are in, the coral reef is that largest, North Sea the second largest and then a kelp forrest on the corner. You'll need some imagination.. ;)
IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG
Did I see top secret on those plans. Very cool. Our little secret

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew this was a secret upgrade for the Säkerhetskontoret!!! ;Wideyed

Where better to hide it than a public museum!!! :p
Did you find "säker plats" on the drawing?! :D
That's actually a spot to gather people in case of fire. We lost some great space for salt storage just because of that. Some kind of rule..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back