Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is cool to see all this!
Isn't it amazing to see how the Swedish drink coffee? :p

Oh.. and being behind the scenes of a public aquarium is pretty cool, too. ;)

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it amazing to see how the Swedish drink coffee? :p

Oh.. and being behind the scenes of a public aquarium is pretty cool, too. ;)

As simply put as possible - coffee is life. ;Smug

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to disturb in all dating talk, but we just got the results from Triton lab ICP test. We got all green lights in coral system one, and all but one green in system two! I might celebrate with some wine tonight :D

Coral system one:
Coral system two:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg... The side conversations are almost as great as the on topic ones! I was not expecting the double your chances comment. Not seldom that someone can say something that throws me for a second! That was AMAZING!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg... The side conversations are almost as great as the on topic ones! I was not expecting the double your chances comment. Not seldom that someone can say something that throws me for a second! That was AMAZING!
Those Swedes are some wild and crazy guys!
1565281298189.png

CarChase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I thought I might start a new thread writing about our journey building a new public aquarium. I work as a marine biologist and aquarist at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium in Gothenburg, Sweden. I think I've been here about a decade now. Time flies :)

The Aquarium was founded in 1923, and moved into the museum 1933 when the museum building was completed. Over the years the Aquarium has housed lots of different animals, from Galapagos turtles to monkeys. But since 2001 there's only aquariums. And since 2009 only marine tanks and animals.

We are a non profit museum, funded mostly by the the city of Gothenburg and a foundation. But we also need to get some sponsors, so if you.... ;)

Here a picture just to lighten up amongst all this text..
Snapseed.jpeg

Here comes some info on the Aquarium today. We got about 20 tanks running in the exhibition, from 50L to 25 000L. The total water volume now is around 50 000L. We've focused on tropical reef habitats and Swedish temperate coastal waters.

We are five people working full time in the Aquarium, but mostly three of us are responsible for the aquariums.

And another picture to get people to read the rest of this long post..
Snapseed.jpeg

I've written some about our 10 000L reef tank in my build thread in my profile, so there you can find a lot of pictures of that tank and some of the others.

In this thread I will try to share our work from today until we open the new Aquarium in the fall of 2021.

We closed the museum this Sunday, and our first step is the build a temporary Aquarium in the room where the museum restaurant used to be. Unfortunately we need to clear the old Aquarium facilities before we can move into the new Aquarium, therefor this temporary solution. Our aim is to start up the new tanks with as much "homegrown " corals as possible. And since we're planning on a reef tank with 400 000L water, we will need a lot of corals :)

Corals corals..
IMG_6153.JPG

I hope you would like to follow our journey from a small public aquarium to a medium size. Please feel free to ask any questions you want(or tell me I'm stupid if you think I'm stupid ;)).

So, here's some pictures from this week, the week after closing.

IMG_6244.JPG

This is where the temporary Aquarium will be located
IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

Okey, that was the startup of a new thread. More will come! :)

Best regards
David
I’d love to come see your work! I’ll actually be in Sweden the week of August 12 for work. I’ll be in Stockholm and Kelmar. How far away is the aquarium ?!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on the West coast. Gothenburg. Train from Stockholm södra - Gothenburg Central takes around 4 hours with fast train. Kalmar - Gothenburg takes nearly the same time or longer. By road Stockholm - Gothenburg - 500 km. Kalmar - Gothenburg 360 km. It is not nearby - but you are welcome to visit us if you get the possibility

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday and today we've been moving corals, from the shark tank to the temporary tanks. Now it's mostly smaller pieces of coral, fish and rocks left to move.

Here's the summer substitute trying to catch a clown fish :D It was his last day today, and he wanted to take a swim.
IMG_8374.JPG

The move have gone well. Not much room left now in the temporary tanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back