OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys determine how much to feed each system? I'd imagine it must be complicated having so many fish spread between all these separate tanks.
It's very non complicated :D
Before we go home, we put two cups in the refrigerator for the next day. One with frozen mysis and the other with frozen artemia. Together with some newly mixed saltwater.
Then we do two feedings a day, morning and afternoon, in all tanks with fish, or corals that eat mysis or artemia.
We all do the feedings, and I'm pretty sure they differ from person to person. So the fish doesn't get the exact same amount every day.
I don't rinse the food, some of my colleagues do, for example.
The amount in the cups has increased slowly over the last years. It's not that much I think, but enough for keeping our fish alive and well for more then ten years(in many cases). I haven't measured the amount of food we feed daily. 1/3 of a cup each, approximately.
Then there's other routines for the animals eating larger stuff like shrimps and mussels.

Sorry for a long answer.. ;Smuggrin

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very non complicated :D
Before we go home, we put two cups in the refrigerator for the next day. One with frozen mysis and the other with frozen artemia. Together with some newly mixed saltwater.
Then we do two feedings a day, morning and afternoon, in all tanks with fish, or corals that eat mysis or artemia.
We all do the feedings, and I'm pretty sure they differ from person to person. So the fish doesn't get the exact same amount every day.
I don't rinse the food, some of my colleagues do, for example.
The amount in the cups has increased slowly over the last years. It's not that much I think, but enough for keeping our fish alive and well for more then ten years(in many cases). I haven't measured the amount of food we feed daily. 1/3 of a cup each, approximately.
Then there's other routines for the animals eating larger stuff like shrimps and mussels.

Sorry for a long answer.. ;Smuggrin
So your algae eaters only get what naturally grows in the tanks?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your algae eaters only get what naturally grows in the tanks?
Yes, most of the time. We do have some green pellets and flakes if they start to look thin. But that's not often.
I want to feed them more home grown macroalgae, but they often leave some that ends up growing among the corals. Need to figure out a way around that.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, most of the time. We do have some green pellets and flakes if they start to look thin. But that's not often.
I want to feed them more home grown macroalgae, but they often leave some that ends up growing among the corals. Need to figure out a way around that.
I don't know why, but for some reason I figured you would have specialized blends for different species and make sure they were measured carefully.

You sound way too much like a hobbyist! ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shhhhhhhhh - its a secret in order to have algae free tanks :);)

Sincerely Lasse
I love letting my tangs and other algae eaters graze. I should probably do it more. I may consider going to feeding Nori every other day. Especially with my tank as overgrown as it is currently. I haven't even checked to see if they will eat this newest algae I've cultivated. I've been pleased with the progress that the urchins are making but maybe the fish would give them some help!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love letting my tangs and other algae eaters graze. I should probably do it more. I may consider going to feeding Nori every other day. Especially with my tank as overgrown as it is currently. I haven't even checked to see if they will eat this newest algae I've cultivated. I've been pleased with the progress that the urchins are making but maybe the fish would give them some help!
We didn't feed anything in the 10000L tank the first two month. There were ten fat tangs in the tank at that time :)
Then you really could see their natural behaviour, and no begging for food. Loved it!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse found his head. Cool
Yes - I did - but it was rather difficult in the snake pit of wires someone had create just above the lower ceiling :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a coral again. Here's a Porites lobata (that's my guess), the colony I had to use a wooden saw to get off a rock with unwanted stuff on it. It coming along very nice I think! Ten years ago Christmas tree worms were living in this colony, but they didn't survive. Would be fun to try those again.
This is one of the corals that were at the museum when I started working there :)
IMG_8422.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a coral again. Here's a Porites lobata (that's my guess), the colony I had to use a wooden saw to get off a rock with unwanted stuff on it. It coming along very nice I think! Ten years ago Christmas tree worms were living in this colony, but they didn't survive. Would be fun to try those again.
This is one of the corals that were at the museum when I started working there :)
IMG_8422.JPG
Incredible, wow.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I get a kick out of how you think your is overgrown. I saw your latest FTS and it looked pretty darn good to me!

IMG_8422.JPG

Beautiful and I would have loved to see it with the Christmas Tree Worms!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another animal that has been at the museum longer than me is this Emperor angelfish. The photo is taken top down, the fish is on it's side checking out my phone. So it's pretty settled and hard to scare.
It had the juvenile colours many years, but changed to the adult colours when it was moved to another tank without any other angelfishes. I guess there were some picking order amongst the angelfishes in the first tank which made it stay as a juvenile.
This was my favourite reef fish when I was a child and I was lucky to see a couple when snorkelling in the Red Sea 1995. That was a so cool :)
IMG_8358.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another animal that has been at the museum longer than me is this Emperor angelfish. The photo is taken top down, the fish is on it's side checking out my phone. So it's pretty settled and hard to scare.
It had the juvenile colours many years, but changed to the adult colours when it was moved to another tank without any other angelfishes. I guess there were some picking order amongst the angelfishes in the first tank which made it stay as a juvenile.
This was my favourite reef fish when I was a child and I was lucky to see a couple when snorkelling in the Red Sea 1995. That was a so cool :)
IMG_8358.JPG

He's probably as old as you. Like 29 yrs old. Right.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8358.JPG
Beautiful fish! How is he adapting to his temporary system?

I'm curious, with the stress of all the moves into new systems, have you seen any signs of disease in any fish?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! How is he adapting to his temporary system?

I'm curious, with the stress of all the moves into new systems, have you seen any signs of disease in any fish?
Thanks! It(I don't know the sex and trying to not call those animals he or she. Sounds better in Swedish perhaps :)) does well. I saw it feed on small snails that sits just above the waterline yesterday. Most of the fish from those tanks started 2005-2006 are super calm, doesn't care that much about being moved. They had some ich in the old tank now and then, but haven't seen any now in the temporary tanks. We'll see, maybe we install a UV-C if it returns. Or ozone or H2O2.
We didn't have the same success with the Anthias and wrasse from the 10000L tank. I think they got too stressed from the move and half of them died :(

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump music

When the fish and corals misbehave, not cooperating. Have the sound of a small boat coming toward them, people talking and diving into the water. Make them think , their coming to take them away. Heeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back