Status
Not open for further replies.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how to say it in english but these engineers choose both safetybelt airbag and a belt around the waist :)
The English equivalent euphemism would be ‘belt and braces’, i.e. both a belt and set of braces to hold up your trousers.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8781.JPG
Forgot to mention, we do have some fun stuff going on at the moment.
Two students wanted to do an experiment for school. After reading about DLI(daily light integral I think :rolleyes:) we talked them into doing a short growth experiment with two different light settings. One with 12 hour of light in a row, then 12 hours off. The other with 3 hours on, 3 hours off all day. So both sides will get 12 hours of the same light intensity, but in different periods.
Test corals were measured today. Species will be Seriatopora hystrix and Montipora sp. Those are the ones doing the best without glue. No glue makes it easier to measure the weight.
I think the experiment will last for two weeks. I'm just watching from the side this time :)
IMG_8782.JPG
For those who remember, and are interested, we had two students doing a growth experiment with different lights schedules. The same amount of light per day, but one treatment was 12 houron, 12 hours off, the other one was 3hours on, 3 off, 3 on and so on. You get the setup, the same amount of photons a day, but four “days” vs one “day” per 24 hours.

Now the experiment is done, after seven weeks. Both test species, Montipora sp and Seriatopora hystrix, had grown over 30% in average. Or the mass had increased by over 30%.
The preliminary results looks like both treatments resulted in the same growth, within 0,6 %. Pretty cool I think :)

675992E6-222C-4D89-820C-97D259C3E688.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you say “you can’t learn an old dog to sit” in English? Anyway, I’ve tried to tell @Lasse not to put calibration fluid or anything else on the skimmers or anywhere near the sump or tank water. Today I found him doing this... ;Wacky
96D65166-2EDA-4604-911D-9C8BC446ACBA.jpeg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you say “you can’t learn an old dog to sit” in English? Anyway, I’ve tried to tell @Lasse not to put calibration fluid or anything else on the skimmers or anywhere near the sump or tank water. Today I found him doing this... ;Wacky
Wait a minute, haven't I seen you with a cup of coffee hanging over the tanks????

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute, haven't I seen you with a cup of coffee hanging over the tanks????
I just had to look coffee up ;Smuggrin It's acually 54mg potassium in 100g filter coffee. More than Ca and Mg. But overall there's 99,4% water and not much else. So coffee is probably aquarium safe. A laptop on the other hand, I'm not sure.. ;)

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to look coffee up ;Smuggrin It's acually 54mg potassium in 100g filter coffee. More than Ca and Mg. But overall there's 99,4% water and not much else. So coffee is probably aquarium safe. A laptop on the other hand, I'm not sure.. ;)

We expect you to set up a test tank with frags to demonstrate this theory. Otherwise you're another thrillseeker like @Lasse!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
96D65166-2EDA-4604-911D-9C8BC446ACBA.jpeg
That’s not a calibration fluid, not seeing the problem.

So was changing trains in Germany on the way to Switzerland. Saw this....
94FB01A2-0958-445F-BB62-1B2AFA31DF85.jpeg

for those who don’t know, my name is Steve Frick

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting photoperiod experiment. Do your lights reach the light saturation point for the coral? I have it in my head somewhere, read perhaps a decade ago so could well be false, that corals are able to photosynthesise up to a point with light were increased light makes no difference and at this point they are only able to photosynthesise for a certain period before it has no further effect and they essentially shut down. I think it's essentially the siesta effect.

If that is true and I haven't dreamt it then there could be a point where a short rest/light cycle could improve the growth.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And sorry if the above doesn't make much sense, I'm running on empty at the moment and struggling for words. I should probably take up drinking coffee.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't teach an old dog new tricks :)
You can - if the dog want it :)

And just note the food containers hanging over the water surface - maybe I do not need to say who is responsible of that construction :) As we say in Sweden - Do not throw stones if you work in an aquarium room:p:D

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - Is it Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) you visit? In that case - ask what ASEA stands for :D

Sincerely Lasse
The General Swedish Electric Company? I’ve worked with their Swedish engineers before.
Both stops this trip are with ABB.
Transformer inspection at Bad Hannof and SVC testing in Turgi

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - correct :) you should ask for an invitation to Västerås - its only a couple of hours travel from there to Gothenburg - with train :)

Sincereöly Lasse

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a calibration fluid, not seeing the problem.

So was changing trains in Germany on the way to Switzerland. Saw this....
94FB01A2-0958-445F-BB62-1B2AFA31DF85.jpeg

for those who don’t know, my name is Steve Frick
So you are the one responsible for the many uses of the word frick and it's derivitaves! Good to know you Steve!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting photoperiod experiment. Do your lights reach the light saturation point for the coral? I have it in my head somewhere, read perhaps a decade ago so could well be false, that corals are able to photosynthesise up to a point with light were increased light makes no difference and at this point they are only able to photosynthesise for a certain period before it has no further effect and they essentially shut down. I think it's essentially the siesta effect.

If that is true and I haven't dreamt it then there could be a point where a short rest/light cycle could improve the growth.
I just know the PAR level. It was 100.
So perhaps they didn’t reach the light saturation point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back