OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing! Now the new return pumps arrived :)
AC535FC8-6CC0-4B1A-BFB1-B9B95258DED9.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures please. :)
Here you go!
602242D1-B7B6-4E94-972D-01720992A340.jpeg
36D5CBF9-ACCB-45C2-A17A-2FC92F2D8A1A.jpeg

Even came with some extra weird electric plugs.. ;Happy
A bit overkill with two return pumps at 8000L/h each. But we might be able to do some fun stuff with the flow :) And we can use them for the other systems as well, if needed. The overflow in this display is not dimensioned for both pumps at maximum I think.
At the moment there’s only RO water in the tank. We will mix it with salt in the tanks and then do a large water change between the new system and one of the other, to get a quicker start up. But that will be next week.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the reason you choose DC over the reliability of AC, especially in a public aquarium setting.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the reason you choose DC over the reliability of AC, especially in a public aquarium setting.
He likes his toys. He couldn't tinker nearly so much with an AC pump. That means Lasse would have less to do when he comes to hang out since Sallstrom wouldn't be breaking things. The end result would be fewer Lasse visits, more drinking coffee alone for Sallstrom, and a more stable system. Can't have that so AC isn't an option. ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He likes his toys. He couldn't tinker nearly so much with an AC pump. That means Lasse would have less to do when he comes to hang out since Sallstrom wouldn't be breaking things. The end result would be fewer Lasse visits, more drinking coffee alone for Sallstrom, and a more stable system. Can't have that so AC isn't an option. ;)
Exactly that. And the safety issue :)

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your reasoning. ;)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modern DC pumps are everything that stone age AC pumps not are :)

Low energy, very safe and adjustable.

Submersible 230 V AC pumps and salt water in a public place - not a good idea

Most AC pumps are often of low quality too - IMO - with one exception - EHEIM pumps

And @Brew12 nail all the other reasons too

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modern DC pumps are everything that stone age AC pumps not are :)

Low energy, very safe and adjustable.

Submersible 230 V AC pumps and salt water in a public place - not a good idea

Most AC pumps are often of low quality too - IMO - with one exception - EHEIM pumps

And @Brew12 nail all the other reasons too

Sincerely Lasse
My issue isn't with the motors, its with the controllers. Still too high of a failure rate to trust one on my return imo.

I am working on a re-design of my returns. I may get a DC pump as my main return pump and then go back to my old Eheim as a second return pump. That way my tank will be fine even if the DC pump fails.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run Jebao and Coral Box - never been out for any controller damage - however the blue ones often break in the motors after a year or two.

I change my Jebao DCS 4000 a couple of weeks ago - It had run for more than 42 months without I have done anything with it. It still work as it should. I change it because I want to manage the speed from my P4 - The new Coral Box DCA 4000 let you do that (and APEX too)

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run Jebao and Coral Box - never been out for any controller damage - however the blue ones often break in the motors after a year or two.

I change my Jebao DCS 4000 a couple of weeks ago - It had run for more than 42 months without I have done anything with it. It still work as it should. I change it because I want to manage the speed from my P4 - The new Coral Box DCA 4000 let you do that (and APEX too)

Sincerely Lasse
Had I seen that I may have gotten the DCA 12000. I'm not overly excited about it but I've got a Varios-8 (Reef Octopus) coming today. Finding one I could control from my P4 without a crazy amount of accessories was a challenge.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not keep your Sicce in line with the DC?

My issue isn't with the motors, its with the controllers. Still too high of a failure rate to trust one on my return imo.

I am working on a re-design of my returns. I may get a DC pump as my main return pump and then go back to my old Eheim as a second return pump. That way my tank will be fine even if the DC pump fails.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to read this post twice , when you said your getting a DC. Lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not keep your Sicce in line with the DC?
The Sicce will have way too much flow, even with the inlet throttled back as far as it would go. The Eheim is also smaller so will fit in the return section better with the Varios. I'm just looking for enough flow to keep the tank stable in the even the Varios fails.

I had to read this post twice , when you said your getting a DC. Lol
Yup.. I know. I'm not even that happy about it. But... I have plans to add an ATS in the near future and to find an AC pump that can provide the flow rates I'm looking for is challenging. I thought about upgrading to the Syncra Pro 1900 but I fear it will still leave me way short of where I want to be long term.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more on the coral spawning experiment setup.
Today the salinity and temp were the same as in our coral tanks, so I did a water change between one of our “old” systems and this new one. I also added a couple of live rocks from the other tanks. So now there’s life in the new experiment setup!
Both new return pumps are up and running, and controlled by Profilux. At the moment they are on 10-70 % every minute. The two pumps working opposite each other.
That’s pretty much all we can do at the moment. We are waiting for lights, skimmer pumps from Deltec, Tunze stream pumps, and all the rest of the stuff from Profilux,

3ED3AB88-2E23-4844-ADF7-A08B143123A2.jpeg
29746DDD-3218-485E-933B-CFF95126712E.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was MIA for a while. Thrilled to come back and see all the developments happening.

Sorry for the silence. Everything is going according to the plan(except when the archaeologists digs through the water supply pipes and shuts off the tapwater to the Aquarium for 24 hours.. :D).

We are currently working on the blueprints for the filter room for the large coral tank together with an engineer. The smaller pipes and filters we can manage ourselves, but these larger ones will be done by professionals.. :)

We are also working on a plan for all the smaller tanks. Both from biological aspect, what will fit where into the exhibit, and from the practical side.

We are also setting up a fun little project for sexual reproduction of corals. It’ll be a system controlled by GHL computers(thank you GHL for the discount!!). Streamers will be from Tunze, since they are compatible with GHL. Return pumps will be New Jet DC pumps, also controlled by GHL. All lights will be GHL, if things work out they way we’ve planned. Skimmer will be an old Deltec, but upgraded with their new DC skimmer pumps. We will use Triton Core7 and their other supplements for water parameters.
November was a shopping month :)
Now we are waiting for the equipment to arrive, so this is the tanks today. We do have a lot of PVC, so I did some pipe work today.
The tank will be totally covered to avoid light from the room the get into the tank.
1FE6356E-FA8A-4005-BB03-75EEF8359695.jpeg
CEE1FAB7-66CF-4B9B-85D8-BDB18C71444F.jpeg

It is nice that a company finally stepped up and gave you guys discounts on equipment. I still find it a little sad that some company hasn't simply donated needed equipment. Nevertheless, discounts are discounts!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was MIA for a while. Thrilled to come back and see all the developments happening.

It is nice that a company finally stepped up and gave you guys discounts on equipment. I still find it a little sad that some company hasn't simply donated needed equipment. Nevertheless, discounts are discounts!
And ironically enough, the discount was from GHL! They were the one company that didn't have anything I could use on sale this Black Friday. Only controllers, which I obviously have.

I was thinking about picking up 2 new LX7's when they wen on sale, but they never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back