Status
Not open for further replies.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sallstrom,
I think that I recall you — and maybe also @Lasse — mentioning experimenting with maintaining and dosing cultures of pelagic cyanobacteria (I think Synechococcus sp.?) at one point. Did anything ever come of that? I’ve been trying to do some research on feeding sensitive sponges and other azoox animals and I’m curious about the feasibility of culturing that bacteria in closed systems... and also any possibility of introducing too much toxin into the aquarium as a result. Thanks!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some experiment with Synechococcus sp but was not able to culture them in the long run. It was mainly for NPS corals. For the moment I´m leaning to try to use bacteria instead. more easy to cultivate

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sallstrom,
I think that I recall you — and maybe also @Lasse — mentioning experimenting with maintaining and dosing cultures of pelagic cyanobacteria (I think Synechococcus sp.?) at one point. Did anything ever come of that? I’ve been trying to do some research on feeding sensitive sponges and other azoox animals and I’m curious about the feasibility of culturing that bacteria in closed systems... and also any possibility of introducing too much toxin into the aquarium as a result. Thanks!
Our only conclusion wthat we need our own culture if we would go on using Synechoccocus plankton as a food source for filter feeders :)
We didn’t manage to culture them at that moment but I would like to try again sometime. The manufacturer wrote that it wasn’t that hard to culture them, so maybe we just had a bad batch.

As a food source for filter feeders I still think they might be great, since these types of really small plankton are so common in the ocean. They cover another “prey size” and perhaps could be a good complement to more common phytoplankton like Nannochloropsis and Isochryssis.

I think our corals did well while we used Synechococcus, but it’s impossible to say anything for sure after that short and not very scientific test.

The company we bought them from, PlanktonPlus, claims that they might also reduce red Cyanobacteria in aquariums. We didn’t have any at the time, so I can’t say anything about that either.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this:
Growth and selection of the cyanobacterium Synechococcus ...

PDFÖversätt den här sidan
av TT Selãoa - ‎Citerat av 6 - ‎Relaterade artiklar
10 apr. 2019 - Cyanobacteria, such as Synechococcus sp. PCC 7002 (Syn7002), are promising chassis strains for “green” biotechnological applications as they can be grown in seawater using oxygenic photosynthesis to fix carbon dioxide into biomass.
PDF 603373.

I dont know if this page is easy to find but I would try using a bottle with magnetic stirrer and added CO2 with a pH probe to control the addition of CO2. And preferably in a room not infected of other cyanobacteria.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And we have new doorways! From the coral factory(temporary Aquarium) to our two small office/DNA/storage/lunch rooms! Please don’t look at the wiring @Brew12 We will fix that later... ;)
87E605AB-AEB9-4A5F-97CD-335E41ED0955.jpeg
D463629C-8E67-4536-B761-C04D1ACACB93.jpeg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool. Things should get a wee bit easier to get to now? So are you guys confined to that small space for a couple years?
I love Frankenstein rooms. Not that I could live with it, mind you. But I love the chaos behind beautiful and successful systems for some reason. I especially love @ca1ore ‘s basement chaos. :)

*Fanning Brew with a piece of paper*

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t look at the wiring @Brew12 We will fix that later... ;)
Why do I have a feeling that "later" is when the new aquarium is ready and things are moved back out of these rooms? ;Meh

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M Thanks for helping @Brew12 :D

We needed new doorways since the corridor we’re using now will soon be inside the construction area(and for some reason they don’t want aquarists to be wandering around in that area..;Wideyed). The temporary Aquarium, plus the two office rooms, will be a separate part when it comes to burglar alarm etc.

If we want to, or need to, we can use other office spaces in town. But since we want to check the tanks everyday and have a good and close contact to the workers doing the building, we will also spend a lot of time in these rooms :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it a little risky to be cutting up coral right next to bottles of soap? I don't fear much when it comes to my tank, but I've heard horror stories about soap getting into the water and suffocating fish.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it a little risky to be cutting up coral right next to bottles of soap? I don't fear much when it comes to my tank, but I've heard horror stories about soap getting into the water and suffocating fish.
It's compact living from now on! And the soap looks much closer on the picture than in real live. Promise :)
But I know what you mean. I read about nasty reactions in reef tanks after using hand wash my first year as a reef aquarist, so I have it in the back of my head since. We don't use that much hand wash or dish soap at all atually.. :rolleyes:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's compact living from now on! And the soap looks much closer on the picture than in real live. Promise :)
But I know what you mean. I read about nasty reactions in reef tanks after using hand wash my first year as a reef aquarist, so I have it in the back of my head since. We don't use that much hand wash or dish soap at all atually.. :rolleyes:
Speaking of compact living, how is your coral survival rate? Seems like things are going even better than I would have expected with all the changes.
And are things still looking to be on schedule?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of compact living, how is your coral survival rate? Seems like things are going even better than I would have expected with all the changes.
And are things still looking to be on schedule?
The survival has been pretty good I think overall. We haven't lost any species, some have been a bit grumpy after the move, but now I think the tanks have matured and the corals are doing well. But I try to look over all corals almost every day, and moving them around and doing frags if they doesn't look happy. So it an ongoing work. We are not where we were with the 10000L tank or the room devider reef yet when it comes to coral survival and growth.

The rebuiling process is going well. I think we are okey on schedule. The opening date is moved to 2022, but it was probably too tight anyway to try to open 2021.
This first weeks 2020 has been eventful. They have started to dig for the new Aquarium building this week and also started to remove some stone walls on the front of the museum. They will cut the power next week, and the water the week after that. So we (mostly @Lasse) are working together with their electricians preparing to connect the temporary Aquarium to temporary power. Water will be fixed next week. Soon we will have a toilet outside. It'll be cosy :D
At the same time it's a lot of work planning the new exhibit, everything from aquariums to texts and screens.

Lots of work but great to see things are moving forward! I'll try to take some more pictures and do a better update next week.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rebuiling process is going well. I think we are okey on schedule. The opening date is moved to 2022, but it was probably too tight anyway to try to open 2021.
This first weeks 2020 has been eventful.
Trust me, I feel that the first few weeks of 2020 have been eventful too! I'm still going to try to make it around the time of the opening so pushing it back to 2022 works well. It might take me a bit into 2021 to recover from everything that is happening in 2020. Not having this until 2022 makes it much easier.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Beautiful picture, lovely sunny day.
But i have to ask......
Where is the snow?!?!?!
I was wondering the same thing. Think they are actually in Spain? ;Wideyed

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Beautiful picture, lovely sunny day.
But i have to ask......
Where is the snow?!?!?!

The snow is up in the north of Sweden. Down here in the south we are lucky if we get a month or so of snow in the winter. This winter we haven't been lucky at all, so far. It's been around 4C degrees and rain since October :D
At least we got some sun today! For a few hours, before the sun goes down again..:rolleyes:
Thats why we Swedish people are crazy about our summers. The rest of the year can be kind of depressing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back