OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say light treatment is good against depression, so maybe we’ve got the best job being bombarded by reef LEDs all day :D

While my colleagues have been busy this week I’ve been mostly on my back(with lumbago...). Today I did a very rudimentary drawing of what we call “the aquarium house”. It’ll be like a house in the middle of the exhibition and the visitors will be able to go around it and also go into a darker “tunnel”(displaying parts of the deep ocean).
In this “house” most of our smaller tanks will be located.
Into this “house” there will be water lines from three larger water systems, 10, 18 and 25 degrees and back. Which give us the opportunity to easily connect smaller tanks to large systems, and cut back on the number of water systems and LSS’s(is that correct for life support systems? :D).

At the moment all biotopes are under discussion, so this is only my example. I needed to get the feeling for how much water we’ll need going to our “balance tanks”(sumps for water between large system and small tanks). And the text is in Swedish :D
89AD90F9-F377-4232-995C-10A758CE9C90.jpeg

This is the “aquarium house” inside the new Aquarium exhibition.
050BC780-2032-4062-8FEB-089FFDE143E4.jpeg

As you can see, the wall are decided but not the number of tanks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say light treatment is good against depression, so maybe we’ve got the best job being bombarded by reef LEDs all day :D

While my colleagues have been busy this week I’ve been mostly on my back(with lumbago...). Today I did a very rudimentary drawing of what we call “the aquarium house”. It’ll be like a house in the middle of the exhibition and the visitors will be able to go around it and also go into a darker “tunnel”(displaying parts of the deep ocean).
In this “house” most of our smaller tanks will be located.
Into this “house” there will be water lines from three larger water systems, 10, 18 and 25 degrees and back. Which give us the opportunity to easily connect smaller tanks to large systems, and cut back on the number of water systems and LSS’s(is that correct for life support systems? :D).

At the moment all biotopes are under discussion, so this is only my example. I needed to get the feeling for how much water we’ll need going to our “balance tanks”(sumps for water between large system and small tanks). And the text is in Swedish :D
89AD90F9-F377-4232-995C-10A758CE9C90.jpeg

This is the “aquarium house” inside the new Aquarium exhibition.
050BC780-2032-4062-8FEB-089FFDE143E4.jpeg

As you can see, the wall are decided but not the number of tanks.
I cannot wait to go and see this. I love the layout you have come up with.

For the smaller tanks.... I think I know what most of them are. How does "Garden eels" translate to English? That one has me baffled.

I'm guessing the "animals that cooperate" tank will be stuff like clowns/anemone and Goby/Shrimp? What are you thinking about putting in the mud bottomed tank? I'm also a bit surprised to not see a seahorse/sea dragon tank in there. Are there plans to have one elsewhere?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In that drawing - the only non Swedish name was "garden eels" :) :) :). And it because David have missed the swedish "rörålar" :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot wait to go and see this. I love the layout you have come up with.

For the smaller tanks.... I think I know what most of them are. How does "Garden eels" translate to English? That one has me baffled.

I'm guessing the "animals that cooperate" tank will be stuff like clowns/anemone and Goby/Shrimp? What are you thinking about putting in the mud bottomed tank? I'm also a bit surprised to not see a seahorse/sea dragon tank in there. Are there plans to have one elsewhere?
Thanks! Garden eels sounds better in English..
Seahorses are included! It’s Sjöhäst in Swedish :) And we’re aiming for Hippocampus guttulatus, which is on our old retro logotype. So it’ll be a Mediterranean Sea grass biotope for them I hope.
We can choose to set up a sea dragon tank connected to the 18 degrees system. But I doubt that we do that, at least the first year.

Deep soft/mud bottom is the most common type of sea floor in the ocean, so that is one reason why we want to have a display for it. It can be a cool aquarium with Norwegian lobsters, sea urchins, brittle stars, worms, sea pens and other cool stuff!

Yes. We called a tank in the old Aquarium “reef companionships” and I like that theme. And if we do that type of tank in a reef setup, you could have a lot of stuff to show and to talk about. Like you say, shrimps and gobies, clownfish and anemones, crabs and anemones, corals and zoox, crabs and urchins and many more partnerships.

The reason why we haven’t decided exactly what animals and biotopes we will start up with is that we look more for a design that will allow us to easily change the setup if want to. But since we need to set the sizes for these tanks soon, we need to figure out approximately what kind of animals we want at the opening and further on.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some might remember, we also setting up a coral system for sexual reproduction. It’s been on hold for a while waiting for lights, pumps and some other equipment. So for a month or more it’s been a SOWLR (Sponges only with live rock).
Now we got all the GHL Profilux equipment we need, so things are moving on. @Lasse is putting together the GHL stuff and today I put the new lights in place and the tank got a roof. Finally it closing in on adding fish and corals!
16069B2F-F248-444B-8673-BEC1B26ACCD2.jpeg
1A50681F-AF46-4315-82C8-E58E28545160.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some might remember, we also setting up a coral system for sexual reproduction. It’s been on hold for a while waiting for lights, pumps and some other equipment. So for a month or more it’s been a SOWLR (Sponges only with live rock).
Now we got all the GHL Profilux equipment we need, so things are moving on. @Lasse is putting together the GHL stuff and today I put the new lights in place and the tank got a roof. Finally it closing in on adding fish and corals!
16069B2F-F248-444B-8673-BEC1B26ACCD2.jpeg
1A50681F-AF46-4315-82C8-E58E28545160.jpeg

Are those Mitras LX 7206 lights?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those Mitras LX 7206 lights?
I had to go and check the package. Many LED lights and names now o_O..

Yes, those are Mitras LX 7206. We want to be able to control everything as much as possible from one GHL computer, so we chose GHL lights.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To explain the design a bit more, we will cover the upper tank so no light will get into it. We will control as much seasonal changes as possible, and therefor all light from the outside must be removed. Next step is to put up a moon light and start programming light intesity, day lenghts, temp, and moon cycles. Flow will also be controlled and cycle somehow, not sure yet :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To explain the design a bit more, we will cover the upper tank so no light will get into it. We will control as much seasonal changes as possible, and therefor all light from the outside must be removed. Next step is to put up a moon light and start programming light intesity, day lenghts, temp, and moon cycles. Flow will also be controlled and cycle somehow, not sure yet :)

Like everything else going on, it will be fun watching this system mature.

Fortunately, you have GHL Wizard @Lasse at your disposal, er, um, I mean on staff! ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you interact with the Horniman at all?
Absolutely. I finally met Jaime at a public aquarium meeting in France a couple of month ago, but I contacted him a couple of years ago the first time asking about his setup. So he’s a great resource of knowledge.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I finally met Jaime at a public aquarium meeting in France a couple of month ago, but I contacted him a couple of years ago the first time asking about his setup. So he’s a great resource of knowledge.

Nice, I hope to go up in the spring and visit! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%

Back