Swedish fish - behind the scenes rebuilding a public aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get brown jelly disease on Euphyllias I just hang up the coral in front of a streamer in so strong flow that all tentacles are retarded. It seems as if the strong flow blows away the dead tissue and prevents bacteria to locate at the spot. Around 4 inches from a Tunze 9045. The coral can stand the flow for 24 hours and my corals didnt reinfect.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get brown jelly disease on Euphyllias I just hang up the coral in front of a streamer in so strong flow that all tentacles are retarded. It seems as if the strong flow blows away the dead tissue and prevents bacteria to locate at the spot. Around 4 inches from a Tunze 9045. The coral can stand the flow for 24 hours and my corals didnt reinfect.
The problem is that our disease spead and that treatment would risk spread the "slime" to other colonies. But I can try it in a bucket, for a shorter time perhaps.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done in my big tank around 4 times and it never did spread. I once had big chunks of it hanging in a birdsnest but it didnt affect the coral.
I have only had it in the big tank and I believe it appears when the flow is too low + other reasons.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on our experiment trying to induce sexual reproduction for our stony corals.
The system is like a reef tank but with less live rock, less fish and perhaps a quite large algae refugium. We are also feeding the corals two times a day. Amount of food is still under development. Now we feed Reefroids and EasyBooster.

The seasons are running and today it's 26 of June 2020 in the experiment tank. That means Australian winter and the water is 24,4C this week. It'll go down a bit more the next weeks, until it reches 23,7 degrees Celcius. The light intensity is about 60% compared to the brightest period of the year, and the day duration is 85% compared to the longest day. The moon is soon half.

The corals are alive, but perhaps not the happiest :) But don't worry. If they suffer too much they will be moved back to our coral systems.

We're still having some Cyanobacteria. Doesn't really matter, but I doesn't look nice. They came when the nutrients were low and they probably love the comditions at the moment. We still haven't found the correct amount of nutrients, refugium light period and dose for Core7 for keeping the levels stable for a longer period.

Starting up a system like this, with lots of options for dosing, lights, flow etc, I like to play aruond and test stuff. From the start the nutrients were close to zero and we added both N and P. But starting seasons with lower temp and less light, the nutrients went up a bit too fast. So the last two weeks we've been trying to dial in the PO4 levels by adding iron, nitrate, some carbon source and extend the light period for the algae refugium. At the same time keep the nitrate level at 3 ppm.
That may sound like a lot, but those who know me knows that it's only small doses :)
NO3 & PO4 kurva mars 2020.JPG

Here are nitrate and phosphate numbers from mostly my meassurements. I haven't figured out yet if you can get different colours on the lines in the GHL program, but the thicker one is nitrate. The numbers t o the left is NO3. Would be nice to get PO4 on the other side. PO4 is 0,05 on the last reading, the rest you'll have to figure out by youself ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some random coral pictures from this week. Been cleaning and sorting a bit.
051FEA33-D30D-4CE8-BE99-A7E093CF0410.jpeg

Very satisfying to get the rows of frags in order :D
16F30E4B-C522-43B5-95A4-D65D8085078A.jpeg

It’s important with a urchin road in between the frags!
066737AF-E353-45D6-860C-5E059AA5603B.jpeg

A happy Acropora hyacinthus in the experiment.
2AEBC4CC-7C5D-4582-B3D0-5C9605770A73.jpeg

And the Pocillopora also looks fine
A8066865-3960-4A1A-A448-C0CC8DD69D6D.jpeg

And this looks purple and green.
2C850777-CDE0-44F4-83FF-FA796103F618.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just the urchins helper, a small snail! :D
These rows are designed for tuxedo urchins :)

I would never suspect you would use any urchin othet than a "tuxedo" because you're so high class! ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A colleague from marketing came visiting us last week interviewing us on the new spawning experiment. First just for the museum sectors homepage, but then posted it on social media. After that several newspapers have called :)
Here're two articles (in Swedish, sorry..).

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For absolutely no reason, this

A colleague from marketing came visiting us last week interviewing us on the new spawning experiment. First just for the museum sectors homepage, but then posted it on social media. After that several newspapers have called :)
Here're two articles (in Swedish, sorry..).

"Light candles, chocolate and music." Seems she (the author) is a rimantic humorist. Might be a good match for you, David! ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foto 2020-03-30 17 45 53.jpg

Here's the old "Nordic exhibit" which we added two tropical displays. The tank to the right is the 10000L reef tank (in the link under my posts).
Foto 2020-03-30 17 46 06.jpg

Here's the stand for two old tanks. From the early eighties I think. Looks like a perfect rat house :D

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it catch your heart to see it like that? I mean even though you know it will be better in the future?
No, it's fine. We've been working in these old and dirty facilitys for ten years, all along talking about building a new Aquarium. So it's more a relief to see it finally happen. And it's fun to see how the old tanks were built and what under them.
Kind of the feeling of after a tough game. You did your best, got as good result you could get under those conditions, now it's time for a new game :)

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's fine. We've been working in these old and dirty facilitys for ten years, all along talking about building a new Aquarium. So it's more a relief to see it finally happen. And it's fun to see how the old tanks were built and what under them.
Kind of the feeling of after a tough game. You did your best, got as good result you could get under those conditions, now it's time for a new game :)
That is a great outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back