Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still working on removing the rocks in front of the museum where the new Aquarium building will be. The last week they’ve been using this wire saw. Pretty cool. We use the same when doing large frags.. :cool:
B86006B8-4AEB-4054-A51F-94AC8329B7A7.jpeg
I hope you clean it first! :eek:

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going well when it comes to feeding and nutrient levels in the experiment tank. We feed 12 cubes frozen food, 10ml Acropower aminos, half a teaspoon Reefroids, 16ml EasyBooster and 16 ml EasySPS a day. Plus some mysis for the fish. Nitrate at 0,2 ppm and phosphate at 0,04 ppm this morning.
The volume is 1100 litre. The algae refugium is working well! :)
Here are some polyps from this morning. Before feeding. Not the best pictures, but I think they look happy. Oh, and the colours are my attempt to get the GHL LEDs to look like the sun. Lots of yellow :p
DFE84CCE-048B-41AA-B00E-4B05ED0A2233.jpeg
ED100F91-CD18-4DC7-B7E0-858B009223D5.jpeg
2B440280-9E53-4D8D-9E04-DD80F35653F4.jpeg

I really enjoy how much you're focusing on and currently feeding the system. I'm working on slowly ramping up feeding for my anthozoans as well. Have you looked at feeding any live foods such as gut loaded brine shrimp nauplii? I fed them on a previous aquarium and saw quite fantastic results. I'm currently getting set up to start the same thing on my build now!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy how much you're focusing on and currently feeding the system. I'm working on slowly ramping up feeding for my anthozoans as well. Have you looked at feeding any live foods such as gut loaded brine shrimp nauplii? I fed them on a previous aquarium and saw quite fantastic results. I'm currently getting set up to start the same thing on my build now!
Great! What are you planning on feeding now?
We had newly hatched Artemia and live Rotifers every day in the old Aquarium, so we’ve used live food a lot too. But it’s always hard to tell if corals like Acropora really ate it. On the other hand I was focused on NPS for a while and very small particle food, so kind of forgot that type of food for SPS. Then the Horniman Museum and Gardens presented their work on sexual reproduction and they feed a lot Of everything :) So this time it’s more all-in. Almost. I do like to know the ingredients. And I like to find a way to add as much as we export. I don’t like water changes.. ;) But we still have to add nitrate to get any readings on the Salifert test, so there’s room for more food.

At the moment the stuff we used to hatch artemia is in use for our try on breeding sea urchins, so no live artemia now. But that would be a nice addition to the feeding. Good idea! Thanks! Rotifers are in the frozen food we use now. They are available in just Rotifers, or in a blend for invertebrates, from ocean nutrition. We have two buckets going with live Rotifers, but they do more harm them good at the moment (getting into algae cultures..). So perhaps time to close our rotifer culture.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! What are you planning on feeding now?
We had newly hatched Artemia and live Rotifers every day in the old Aquarium, so we’ve used live food a lot too. But it’s always hard to tell if corals like Acropora really ate it. On the other hand I was focused on NPS for a while and very small particle food, so kind of forgot that type of food for SPS. Then the Horniman Museum and Gardens presented their work on sexual reproduction and they feed a lot Of everything :) So this time it’s more all-in. Almost. I do like to know the ingredients. And I like to find a way to add as much as we export. I don’t like water changes.. ;) But we still have to add nitrate to get any readings on the Salifert test, so there’s room for more food.

At the moment the stuff we used to hatch artemia is in use for our try on breeding sea urchins, so no live artemia now. But that would be a nice addition to the feeding. Good idea! Thanks! Rotifers are in the frozen food we use now. They are available in just Rotifers, or in a blend for invertebrates, from ocean nutrition. We have two buckets going with live Rotifers, but they do more harm them good at the moment (getting into algae cultures..). So perhaps time to close our rotifer culture.

Currently I'm alternating feeding every other day. One day is freeze dried rotifers, and the second is 10mL of phytoplankton (this is more for all the organisms that will utilize it, starting from the bottom of the food chain). I'm adding to this routine 36-40hr gut loaded artemia napulii. After 24hrs of hatching I add phytoplankton (soon selcon as well) and let them feed for 12hrs. I then add all of this to the aquarium at dusk or after the lights go out and I can see good polyp extension ( I got this method from Dr. Ron Shimek back in the day when he used to be on the marine depot forums). I'm also hoping to add reef roids and reef chili to my freeze dried rotifers mix.

I saw quite a bit of change in growth and color in small polyped corals (Acropora sp., Montipora Capricornis) after feeding gut loaded artemia (sorry these pictures are so bad, they're from back in 2010. Photobucket also decided to put up a pay wall so this is what I was left with). These were taken in from a friend who was staring to lose them in his 600 gallon, I placed them in my 180 gallon and they made a great turn around!

Leng Sai Cap ( got from a friend who it was dying on) December 8th 2010

[IMG]

February 15th 2011

[IMG]

Red Montipora capricornis: Sept 22 2010

[IMG]

February 15 2011

[IMG]

Acropora sp.: December 8th 2010

[IMG]

February 15th 2011

[IMG]

Another Acropora sp. December 8th 2010

[IMG]

February 15th 2011

[IMG]

I agree with your feelings on water changes, my previous and current tank were both skimmerless and I did very minimal water changes (only when necessary). I try to leverage a balanced biome approach to my aquariums, to maximize nutrient output while allowing me to input quite a bit of food!

No problem! I've been using this newer brine shrimp hatchery (https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/hatchery-dish) and it is so much easier to use than the old method of an airstone in a bucket. You harvest just the nauplii and do not have to worry about the empty egg shells!

Keep up the great work, I will continue to follow from the sidelines :)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have to visit my Norwegian friend and go on a road trip to Sweden!
I visited both a couple of years ago and it is a lot of fun! Norway's fjord's are so beautiful. If you go to Stockholm, make sure you see the Vasa ship museum!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I'm alternating feeding every other day. One day is freeze dried rotifers, and the second is 10mL of phytoplankton (this is more for all the organisms that will utilize it, starting from the bottom of the food chain). I'm adding to this routine 36-40hr gut loaded artemia napulii. After 24hrs of hatching I add phytoplankton (soon selcon as well) and let them feed for 12hrs. I then add all of this to the aquarium at dusk or after the lights go out and I can see good polyp extension ( I got this method from Dr. Ron Shimek back in the day when he used to be on the marine depot forums). I'm also hoping to add reef roids and reef chili to my freeze dried rotifers mix.

I saw quite a bit of change in growth and color in small polyped corals (Acropora sp., Montipora Capricornis) after feeding gut loaded artemia (sorry these pictures are so bad, they're from back in 2010. Photobucket also decided to put up a pay wall so this is what I was left with). These were taken in from a friend who was staring to lose them in his 600 gallon, I placed them in my 180 gallon and they made a great turn around!

Leng Sai Cap ( got from a friend who it was dying on) December 8th 2010

[IMG]

February 15th 2011

[IMG]

Red Montipora capricornis: Sept 22 2010

[IMG]

February 15 2011

[IMG]

Acropora sp.: December 8th 2010

[IMG]

February 15th 2011

[IMG]

Another Acropora sp. December 8th 2010

[IMG]

February 15th 2011

[IMG]

I agree with your feelings on water changes, my previous and current tank were both skimmerless and I did very minimal water changes (only when necessary). I try to leverage a balanced biome approach to my aquariums, to maximize nutrient output while allowing me to input quite a bit of food!

No problem! I've been using this newer brine shrimp hatchery (https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/hatc

hery-dish) and it is so much easier to use than the old method of an airstone in a bucket. You harvest just the nauplii and do not have to worry about the empty egg shells!

Keep up the great work, I will continue to follow from the sidelines :)
That is great reasults! Nice :)

We are decapsulating our artemia eggs and have a good routine refined by my colleague over the last ten years. He's our "Jellyman" and has a crazy good hand with live food :) We used live algae too, to feed artemia when not used right away. But stopped with Selco and those products, that was too much of a mess I think.

For our regular systems, tropical and cold water corals, we have had buckets with air bubbles which we fill with live algae, rotifers and artemia. From those buckets dosing pumps add it to the tanks. This way we only need to refill once a day, or less, but still have live food dosed to the tanks.
The best results with live artemia for Cnidarians I've seen is with Aiptasia :D But if they like it, then I'm sure more corals and anemones do.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we've had some meeetings on what our "small" tanks will exhibit. It'll be about eight tanks, 1,5-2 meter long, and 2 smaller tanks for the deep sea. Areas we want to highlight is The North Sea(North Atlantic), The Coral Sea (Pacific), The Mediterranian/Atlantic and the Deep Sea. We will talk about other regions as well, but won't have live exhibits on them from the start. All tanks will be biotopes from those regions. Some biotopes that came up were lagoon, twilight zone, sea grass and more. My vote for a dedicated tank for Garden Eels were voted down, so I will have to figure out a way to have them somewhere in the large reef tank :D
As you might understand, we won't be setting up these tanks in the near future. Perhaps late next year. But since the aquariums are a part of the exhibition, and we try to plan the exhibition now with the architects, we need at least the rough numbers for the tanks we want. So there will be exciting times. Next year! :p At least it's fun to start thinking of biotopes and what opportunities there are for each tank.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In such a big tank You dont have to have one biotope.
You can have a sandbed to the left with blue light imitating 100 feet depth and sloping to almost tidal zone with 10 000K light at the far right.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In such a big tank You dont have to have one biotope.
You can have a sandbed to the left with blue light imitating 100 feet depth and sloping to almost tidal zone with 10 000K light at the far right.
That is true. For educational purposes this large tank will be great having many nisches and parts of a coral reef to talk about. It’ll be Reef flat, reef slope, Sandy bottom outside the reef, caves and overhangs, and probably a bunch more I can’t remember right now.

The idea with garden eels in a small part of a large tank I’ve stolen from Steinhart Aquarium. They had a small window with Garden Eels, in a corner of their really large reef tank when I was there 10 years ago.
So I’ve had that idea in my head for a while :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot I took this picture. But this is the old stairs up to the old entrance of the museum. Build in 1933. One morning on my way to the temporary Aquarium I looked up and realised that it is pretty cool when thinking of the history.
The story is these stairs and the entrance facing the harbour inlet. And back in the days Gothenburg had ferry’s coming in from America, the Swedish America Line, S.A.L. The ships moored near the museum and therefore this was the view the passengers would see(and of course come and visit the museum). Later on the harbour and traffic have changed a lot, so nowadays not many people see the museum from this angle. And of course there are no ferry’s to America no more. This old entrance is still facing the inlet of the harbour, but now it’s a large freeway between the museum and the docks.
When we open up again after the rebuilding, the new entrance will face the way most visitors come. Where the tram stop is, and where most restaurants and cafes are. And it’ll be a nice park there too. The old entrance will not be removed, it’s protected just like the whole facade.
That was some history. Now get back to social distancing and staying safe :)
4D17B5A2-4453-4F99-BC4D-66808502C868.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this entrance! You can almost hear the noice from the old harbour and the croud making its way into the museum one century ago.
Will it still be open for the public later on?
The door won’t be open as an entrance. But it will be open to walk around outside the house as before and inside the old entrance (with the wide stairs inside) will become a room for temporary exhibits. So the space will be used somehow :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The door won’t be open as an entrance. But it will be open to walk around outside the house as before and inside the old entrance (with the wide stairs inside) will become a room for temporary exhibits. So the space will be used somehow :)
My vote is that is how you get down to the beer garden!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is that is how you get down to the beer garden!
Actually, 30 meters from the old stairs outside, there is a brewery making beer! So that won't be impossible :p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do to newly bought colonies. Make as many frags as possible out of it! :p
1EE0D682-347A-4374-882E-81180BEA85CA.jpeg

Five minutes later..
F148ED8F-BF38-4087-8CDF-FDF6739A9869.jpeg

Anyway, that urchin just eats corals by mistake sometimes. When the algae is close to the corals :)
More coral babies.
7B4A0F54-7FAC-44ED-BF4B-21ECF20D7D13.jpeg
E402F6A9-741B-4A4C-9F45-1593F088538F.jpeg

And now we’re trying to get even more in order. Name tags for the species is coming up and DNA sample are on their way. Not for all yet, Seriatopora and Montipora first. We need some other DNA chemicals for the Acroporas for example.

194BA8A7-4A72-4926-A632-2F1F52B155D8.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, 30 meters from the old stairs outside, there is a brewery making beer! So that won't be impossible :p
I guess I know where I'll be after the museum closes on my visit!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to visit the museum now you know there is a brewery next door?! ;)
I'm civilized, I know there is more to life than beer. I think there is, anyway. There is, isn't there? For the life of me I can't think of what it would be.... crud...

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm civilized, I know there is more to life than beer. I think there is, anyway. There is, isn't there? For the life of me I can't think of what it would be.... crud...
Don't worry. We got at least three pubs and a brewery within 100 meters from the museum. This small part of the city is probably self-sufficient when it comes to beers. Lots of small micro brewerys around here :D

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry. We got at least three pubs and a brewery within 100 meters from the museum. This small part of the city is probably self-sufficient when it comes to beers. Lots of small micro brewerys around here :D

I thought of this earlier, how much is a pint / 500 ml in a pub over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back