OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I missed a ton of posts. My alerts stopped.
Welcome back!
Not that many posts at the moment, but that doesn’t mean we’re not going forward. The opposite actually, I don’t have time to write due to all the work :)
I hope to do a larger recap soon.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!
Not that many posts at the moment, but that doesn’t mean we’re not going forward. The opposite actually, I don’t have time to write due to all the work :)
I hope to do a larger recap soon.
Here’s a short recap :)
Next year, no one knows exactly when yet, we will fill up the three largest new tank. One of them is a 400000L reef tank. Before filling that tank we need to install acrylic panels, do epoxy, install many large LEDs, build a form for the scape, cover that structure with dry rocks, install all pipes, pumps and filters, and decide what new coffee machine we need etc. I probably forgot at least 20 other things.

So at the moment we’re working out how to do all this and who will do all these parts. The aquarium staff will do some of the stuff(we’re cheap..), but for the large pipes and filters we will have at least one company helping us install. The light installation I think we will do together with a couple of electricians. @Lasse will do the GHL controls. Reynolds will do the acrylic panels and install them.

So lots of planning and meetings right now! Plus of course keeping all animals in the temporary Aquarium happy and healthy. We’ve lowered our ambitions during this fall and winter when it comes to breeding urchins etc, and do other experiments. There’s no time. But the coral sexual reproduction experiment is still going and hopefully we will get the corals into the right mood next spawning season.

So next year will be a very exciting year for us :D

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell the guys from Reynolds they still owe me a check from the Revlon job in Guam! They literally stole the project from me on a promise of 10% and never delivered the payment. I would only use Mitsubishi Chemical in a similar project now. Well that is just one of those 'things' that happens to young trusting individuals.

Looking forward to seeing the complete project!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell the guys from Reynolds they still owe me a check from the Revlon job in Guam! They literally stole the project from me on a promise of 10% and never delivered the payment. I would only use Mitsubishi Chemical in a similar project now. Well that is just one of those 'things' that happens to young trusting individuals.

Looking forward to seeing the complete project!
;Wideyed I'm sorry to hear.

Reynolds won the procurement and we have had contact with their European office regarding the acrylic panels and all the practical things like transportation and installation. I've only good things to say about the Eoropean office so far. I hope I will say the same in a year :)

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Wideyed I'm sorry to hear.

Reynolds won the procurement and we have had contact with their European office regarding the acrylic panels and all the practical things like transportation and installation. I've only good things to say about the Eoropean office so far. I hope I will say the same in a year :)
Don't get me wrong as I am sure they will do a great job! All that is way in the past and the president retired soon after the sale. It was just my chance to break into a small group of companies that provide that type of service and construction. I guess we could not evolve to the next level so there you have it...lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a short recap :)
Next year, no one knows exactly when yet, we will fill up the three largest new tank. One of them is a 400000L reef tank. Before filling that tank we need to install acrylic panels, do epoxy, install many large LEDs, build a form for the scape, cover that structure with dry rocks, install all pipes, pumps and filters, and decide what new coffee machine we need etc. I probably forgot at least 20 other things.

So at the moment we’re working out how to do all this and who will do all these parts. The aquarium staff will do some of the stuff(we’re cheap..), but for the large pipes and filters we will have at least one company helping us install. The light installation I think we will do together with a couple of electricians. @Lasse will do the GHL controls. Reynolds will do the acrylic panels and install them.

So lots of planning and meetings right now! Plus of course keeping all animals in the temporary Aquarium happy and healthy. We’ve lowered our ambitions during this fall and winter when it comes to breeding urchins etc, and do other experiments. There’s no time. But the coral sexual reproduction experiment is still going and hopefully we will get the corals into the right mood next spawning season.

So next year will be a very exciting year for us :D
Glad to see this moving along so well!

As a professional office worker, I would recommend picking the coffee maker last. You never know what improvements they may make and you don't want to regret getting stuck with last years model. :p

Can't wait to come out there and see it in 2022! I'm considering flying into Germany for a few days, spending a day or two in Switzerland, and then heading up to Sweden. I may have a lot of questions about the best way to get there and how many days I should set aside once it gets a little closer, not to mention when to travel.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see this moving along so well!

As a professional office worker, I would recommend picking the coffee maker last. You never know what improvements they may make and you don't want to regret getting stuck with last years model. :p

Can't wait to come out there and see it in 2022! I'm considering flying into Germany for a few days, spending a day or two in Switzerland, and then heading up to Sweden. I may have a lot of questions about the best way to get there and how many days I should set aside once it gets a little closer, not to mention when to travel.
I so wish we could get a real quality coffee machine considering the amount of coffee we drink at work. But that won’t happen :p

I can’t promise anything when it comes to opening date, but you are welcome any time! The time of year I recommend is summer. If you don’t like 2 degrees C and rain from the side :D

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a look at one of the upper tanks, which is on reverse light cycle, today. Since the lights are on at night I don’t see the corals that often, mostly just check the circulation. So here’s where I put corals and then forget for a while :)
8E0EFED2-975B-40EB-9ABE-C83AFC9E2691.jpeg

The Acropora efflorescence are growing well.
CFD79468-D527-4B14-B512-7A6CE7F28D00.jpeg

And the candy cane
2DCC7AEF-6B43-4316-BA63-87FCD2C3476E.jpeg

And some other Acropora colonies:)
71F0F3B1-7427-420F-BEB2-8824B5B13AD0.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so wish we could get a real quality coffee machine considering the amount of coffee we drink at work. But that won’t happen :p
We have a pretty cruddy one here, too. Nicest office coffee maker I have ever seen was in Switzerland at an ABB office. Used a burr grinder to make every cup fresh and completely automated. Had to have been big dollars but Wow!!!

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a look at one of the upper tanks, which is on reverse light cycle, today. Since the lights are on at night I don’t see the corals that often, mostly just check the circulation. So here’s where I put corals and then forget for a while :)
8E0EFED2-975B-40EB-9ABE-C83AFC9E2691.jpeg

The Acropora efflorescence are growing well.
CFD79468-D527-4B14-B512-7A6CE7F28D00.jpeg

And the candy cane
2DCC7AEF-6B43-4316-BA63-87FCD2C3476E.jpeg

And some other Acropora colonies:)
71F0F3B1-7427-420F-BEB2-8824B5B13AD0.jpeg
Well that's just amazing...

Tony

ETA: Actually , what are you doing on that tank for circulation / flow?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's just amazing...

Tony

ETA: Actually , what are you doing on that tank for circulation / flow?
Thanks!

In the temporary Aquarium we're mostly using low budget pumps like Jebao and similar. Fancy flow is overrated for growing corals ;)

Edit. When taking photos I turn off the pumps :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a great workshop today planning for pipes and the LSS areas. The filter room for the coral tank will be a very different type of room.. :oops:

Here are a bunch of pictures from the filter room and the sump, plus some "top down" pictures over the building site (taken from the third floor of the museum).

FIlter room and sump for the 400m3 reef tank. Remember when we had the brainstorming meetings and decided these sump walls @Lasse ? Now it's too late to change our minds! :p This is the first section of the sump. Water goes through that pipe to the filters. 400mm in diameter.
Foto 2020-12-08 14 44 34.jpg

Here's the room for the skimmers (2) and sand pressure filters (also 2). Plus lots of pumps and other stuff.
Foto 2020-12-08 15 33 46.jpg

Foto 2020-12-08 14 21 08.jpg

"The floor will be like a swiss cheese" - one of the engineers commenting on all the pipes in the floor, two years ago when we did the drawings. Yep, pretty much!
Foto 2020-12-08 15 33 55.jpg

Foto 2020-12-07 14 30 43.jpg

Foto 2020-12-08 10 12 18.jpg

And finally a picture with Masthuggskyrkan (the church) in the background. It's a landmark for this part of the city and a great place to go for a panorama view over the harbour inlet of Gothenburg.
Foto 2020-12-08 10 12 35.jpg

Yes, it's Swedish west coast winter weather. 5 degrees and rain... ;Bucktooth

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing the progress. Huge undertaking and can't wait to see it when it is done!

Just don't vent the smell from the skimmer/filter room anywhere near the beer garden please!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some inspirational pictures sent from our colleagues at the public aquarium Tropikariet in Helsingborg Sweden. This is their 75m3 shark reef.
5CF4B992-C11C-4E0B-9338-DF5851291D1E.jpeg
433069AD-333D-4EB8-8E63-C487D82C247A.jpeg

977D0F5A-F89D-4358-9902-9C68A070D54F.jpeg

Pretty cool for being a shark tank :D They are also planning for building a new and larger reef tank.

Perhaps you recognise the large Sacrophyton in the middle? And BTAs? There are from our old 10000L tank!
630A3E31-C36C-4732-8F09-7DF3D0949517.jpeg

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture could describe our situation quite well right now. Corals are growing well but no one got time to clean the windows.
4EAF7D0E-E828-4C97-BD42-9B44E1F552AE.jpeg

Lots of meetings, budgets, blue prints, measurements and coffee. Not so much time to frag corals or finding space for outgrown frags. But I shouldn’t complain. We’re building a new Aquarium:)

Have a great weekend! Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back