fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not exactly sure ,have heard of i think spinach ,will help,not sure,poss others will chime in ,i know it was a produce green,best wishes

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not exactly sure ,have heard of i think spinach ,will help,not sure,poss others will chime in ,i know it was a produce green,best wishes
Thank You @fishguy242
I think people say peas helps if it’s a GI issue. But I have no clue wether it would help In this case since I think this is traumatic rupture.
My Little guy is strictly carnivore. IF I had gotten him used to pellets I think I could add some pea in. Kinda wish I had done that now... I only fed blackworms and mysis so they are spoiled.
Today he ate some mysis that I added selcon and vita chem to.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feeding of green peas that have been boiled and skin removed is a remedy for constipated fish. Sometimes it helps with swim bladder issues as they present the similar symptoms. Recovery from swim bladder problems is spotty at best.

There has been some success treating swim bladder problems with a 60 minute bath in methylene blue.

Wishing you and your little buddy all the best and a speedy recovery ;)

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feeding of green peas that have been boiled and skin removed is a remedy for constipated fish. Sometimes it helps with swim bladder issues as they present the similar symptoms. Recovery from swim bladder problems is spotty at best.

There has been some success treating swim bladder problems with a 60 minute bath in methylene blue.

Wishing you and your little buddy all the best and a speedy recovery ;)
Thanks @Big G
I will check out directions for methylene blue.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Big G
I will check out directions for methylene blue.
Methylene Blue

What It Treats
Healing agent which treats ammonia burn, abrasions, cuts. Mild antiparasitic/antibacterial properties. Will possibly detoxify a fish that has been exposed to cyanide poisoning. Probably one of the best “first response” treatments for a sick fish.

How To TreatComes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication (e.g. Nitrofuracin Green Powder). So, follow the directions on the label. Generally used in a 30 minute bath at double dose, but you can also dose it directly into a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily.

Dosing instructions for using 2.303% Methylene Blue solution:

1) 30 min bath (preferred): 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons.

2) In a quarantine tank: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons every other day for 10 days with water changes before each treatment.

ProsHighly effective “first response” treatment with minimal risk to fish.

Cons/Side EffectsMethylene Blue can destroy nitrifying bacteria (i.e. your QT biofilter), and will stain plastic, silicone, clothing, your skin, etc.

More info on Methylene Blue: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your guy recovers. I had a fish basically break its back and recover over months. Lived for years. I am not sure on the swim bladder thing though. Maybe he will just act like an assessor for his life.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 of Recovery

Today is a better day. Little guy had a bit of mysis this morning and I decided to try black works just a minute ago. Well my little piggie is back!!! He scarfed down like 8 of them. Somehow he can miraculously swim better to get black worms.

But after he gets one he loses balance again and flips up side down.

I have the methylene blue dip (Thanks @Big G for info) ready to go. Using 1 gallon of current tank water with 1 ml methylene blue. I'm pre-oxygenating it now.

While he is in the dip, I'm gonna clean the tank really good and do large water change to try to prevent secondary bacterial infection when his head rubs on the glass.

Maybe he will just act like an assessor for his life.
I hope he doesn't swim upside down for life... He does not make upside down look good like an assessor. He needs a lot of gymnastic classes for that and with the COVID shutdown, I doubt that's gonna happen :p

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5 update

Little by little doing better. Feeding black worms this morning and tonight. My little guy is still eating. Swimming is not great and aim is not great yet. Aim seemed to be better the first time I put black worms in. But he was really hungry I'm sure.

little guy is just like daddy when it comes to pizza or chicken Parmesan. I could find the good eats if i was blindfolded and tied down:p

Swimming seems to be getting a little better but not 100% sure because I changed flow. Either way, it's a good change because his head is not on bottom glass as much. He seems to swim on the side now rather than drop head down to the bottom of tank. less chance of bacterial infection from rubbing against the bottom.

just for reference, this is up against the back panel of the tank.
IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 Update

Did another methylene blue dip for a 1/2 hour. Tried to catch him to put him into the dip and he was outrunning the net, so that's quite an improvement.

He still is not swimming right side up, but his aim this afternoon when I fed him black worms seemed to be better than this morning after I did the dip.

It's gonna be a long process, but at least he is going in the right direction.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 update

My little guy is doing even better swimming in the whole tank today. It’s the first time I see him swimming upright almost as often as upside down.

this fits with the article I posted above that found “Healing began within 7 d, wounds were completely closed after 14 d, and no mortality occurred. The healing process followed a pattern in which tissue first thickened around the opening (7-14 d), scarring of the ruptured area occurred, and evidence of the wound ultimately disappeared (21-28 d).”

Just look at my little guy!
7DD91435-BB1A-4DA8-9556-78D3DECCFF3D.jpeg
49A84695-BCD0-4894-BE7F-02AA823E3F3C.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong, he still is swimming upside down and has serious balance issues. But he’s gonna recover fully I’m pretty sure now.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hes doing really well i like the look of that clownfish
Thank you! He is a cool clown and is definitely doing great now. It broke my heart when he was upside down and couldn't swim. I love this little guy, such an awesome personality.
I hope he doesn't turn into a crazy clown that bites me ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back